Why Not Robert Edwards? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Not Robert Edwards?

edwards played well in limited duty for miami when he did play ... it seemed as the season went on in 2002 the coaching staff wanted minor on the field more and in 2003 the coaches went with a younger lenard henry .. i have to say i was quite suprised that edwards wasn't picked up by another team .. i hope miami gives him another chance ..

pigskinguy said:
Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

I still don't see how giving him a try out along with the others that are FA is going to hurt the team? We're not talking about signing him right away but let him compete with the other FA for a "possible" spot! If he is done like you say then you just cut him! What harm is that? It's not like he ran bad for us! Granted he didn't light up the field either! Any one is worth a shot at this point instead of wasting more picks on player that are going to be backups!

pigskinguy said:
We already gave him a chance.

And he did well. Unfortunately we had Ricky, Minor and Henry also. He was simply the odd man out, I mean how many backups do you need?

shalafi3455 said:
I still don't see how giving him a try out along with the others that are FA is going to hurt the team? We're not talking about signing him right away but let him compete with the other FA for a "possible" spot! If he is done like you say then you just cut him! What harm is that? It's not like he ran bad for us! Granted he didn't light up the field either! Any one is worth a shot at this point instead of wasting more picks on player that are going to be backups!

I guess it doesn't hurt. But my point is he had and let him go because the coaching staff decided the guys he have (i.e. Minor and Henry) are better.
I don't see how or why it would be different. It just seems like you're grasping at straws.

I was surprised that no one picked Edwards up last year. I wouldn't be against giving him a chance.

pigskinguy said:
I guess it doesn't hurt. But my point is he had and let him go because the coaching staff decided the guys he have (i.e. Minor and Henry) are better.
I don't see how or why it would be different. It just seems like you're grasping at straws.

I can understand what you mean but we do need depth and that is the main reason I would bring him in! The other guys are all coming off injuries of there own and he is a couple of year after his injury! He could be the healthies guy available! He is that much further along on his rehab of the knee also! He says the knee is fine now, so I say what do we have to lose checking him out again! You may be right though we could be just grasping, but I don't want to get a guy through trade that is going to be a back up and have to give up more picks! As it is it feels like we aren't going to draft in the first two rounds for like 12 more years! I hate giving up high picks for guys that aren't a significant upgrade over what we have!

pigskinguy said:

I could be wrong here, but my recollection concerning the release was that the coaching staff decided to keep Ricky in on third downs meaning we didn't need a third down back. Travis Minor was/is one of our best special teamers, so that just didn't leave any room on the roster for Edwards though he ran well. The third spot goes to a project which was Henry.

It might have been a nice way of cutting him because he had nothing left, or it might really have been a numbers thing.

But, if players are calling Edwards, than they must think he has something left. I'd guess their judgement is pretty good about who can play and who can't.

I would like to see him get another shot. I know that he did lose out to Minor last year. This is another season and he has had some more time to rehab and work out that knee. It would not hurt the Phins at all, to invite him to camp and see what he can do. Even if it is just to get a few more bodies into camp.

Back
Top Bottom