Why Not Travel To Los Angeles Immediately / Unorthodox Idea That Might Help | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Not Travel To Los Angeles Immediately / Unorthodox Idea That Might Help

miamirw

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I live in Los Angeles and I'm telling you the weather is perfect. Ross could move the players and their families to LA today or tomorrow and the Phins could get an early jump on the Chargers who are playing a game on Monday night.

If there's no changing the schedule, and the NFL is not going to change its mind, might as well gain what little (if any) competitive advantage there is. The Chargers won't be preparing for Miami until Tuesday.

Plus, you get the added bonus of getting players' families to safety before the storm hits so it's not on their minds (or it's at least a bit of a relief).

And best of all, it's all within the organization's control. If Ross says the word, it will be done. There are a ton of practice facilities here - I'm sure that won't be a problem. Heck, Ross can hire a team of helpers to help the players batten down the hatches and get the families out safely. Doesn't Ross own properties in Los Angeles?

Finally, there are a ton of Dolphin fans out here. Maybe Sunday you could set up some sort of meet and greet with the fans who are going to be at the game on the 17th (just kidding, but that would be a very cool way to increase the amount of Dolphins fans in the stands that already is going to be a Home crowd for the phins). Maybe Ross could buy up the remaining tickets to the game - heck, he could even go to stub hub and buy up as many tickets to the game it is after all the Stub Hub Center! - Think of how great that would be? Ross could fly out a couple of thousand season ticket holders who would like to get out of Miami anyway?

Last edited:
That idea crossed my mind as well after thinking of how good things went last year on the left coast, but the players are going to want to know what their property looks like and start the rebuilding process. Think about it, would you want to wait another week to know how bad your home was damaged? They are human, just like the rest of us.

You're thinking of yourself. The players have families they need to take care of in Miami.

That's true, but if the families get evacuated also, then it's just the property damage and, Ross could pay a team of experts to prep all of the properties (he's a real estate guy, isn't he) and they can help with the damage afterwards. The property is going to be damaged either way. If the families can be taken out of harm's way, isn't that a better option - despite the fact I am thinking of my self. :)

Didn't he just give 400 million to the University of Michigan? Didn't Ross make his billions in construction/ real estate? Didn't he just pay a team of workers a massive amount of money to build/renovate a 200 million dollar stadium? He knows something about planning. Doesn't he want to be involved with the clean up anyway? Isn't he going to be donating millions to the cleanup anyways? Why not be involved in the preparations? Once his team of property experts finishes prepping the 53 family homes, couldn't he have them help others in the area? If it benefits the team anyway, why wouldn't you do it?

Last edited:
You're thinking of yourself. The players have families they need to take care of in Miami.
His second sentence said to take their families with them out west... I think it's a good idea, just stay out west for awhile, there's already storms forming behind Irma, just ride them out in safety and then we don't have to travel later

That's true, but if the families get evacuated also, then it's just the property damage and, Ross could pay a team of experts to prep all of the properties (he's a real estate guy, isn't he) and they can help with the damage afterwards. The property is going to be damaged either way. If the families can be taken out of harm's way, isn't that a better option - despite the fact I am thinking of my self. :)

Didn't he just give 400 million to the University of Michigan? Didn't Ross make his billions in construction/ real estate? Didn't he just pay a team of workers a massive amount of money to build/renovate a 200 million dollar stadium? He knows something about planning. Doesn't he want to be involved with the clean up anyway? Isn't he going to be donating millions to the cleanup anyways? Why not be involved in the preparations? Once his team of property experts finishes prepping the 53 family homes, couldn't he have them help others in the area? If it benefits the team anyway, why wouldn't you do it?

Can they do that or would it be considered a form of compensation that isn't being allocated to the salary cap? The NFL would find a way to screw the Fins even if Ross was trying to protect his employee's families.

Also, y'all seem to be forgetting it's not only the players that travel. Lots of other people with far less financial means travel too. I'm sure they have homes and families that they are worried about.

No because everything is so tenuous.

Storm may not even hit Florida...Praying!

If it does no saying how hard it hits - could be a category 2...

Once its an official evacuation then the team can move to LA as stated.

Likely not happening for a couple of days.

I think the need to be back at family's properties after the fact outweighs the benefits. There may be gas line issues, halfway fallen trees in need of attention, open passages into your home for looters, just to mention a few "immediate attention" requirements.

As far as hiring a team to do this for the players, on top of all the other expenses, thats where is becomes too much a logistical and even financial nightmare. Plus, im sure many players would not feel comfortable with anything except being there to take care of business themselves.

Its a good idea until you get to the aftermath and recovery problem.

You clearly haven't dealt with this before. It will not help to be on another coast wondering what the $#@# is going to your home and belongings and again - it's your home. It's better for them to focus on fixing their issues and moving on.

You clearly haven't dealt with this before. It will not help to be on another coast wondering what the $#@# is going to your home and belongings and again - it's your home. It's better for them to focus on fixing their issues and moving on.

very few have grown up in the area and quite a few of them came on board only this season. i doubt the emotional bond for the players is very deep in most cases. on top of that, we're talking about professional athletes who are not facing financial disaster because of that hurricane. they'll be able to afford to replace.

We should forfeit game 2 so that everyone involved with the team can pull things together in the aftermath of the storm. They are going to need that time for their family and property.

Aren't there travel rules for NFL teams to prevent an unfair competitive edge? I know they have to be on the ground some 20 hours or so before the game. But I thought that there was also an early travel restriction.
At least there used to be. I am pretty sure of that.

Back
Top Bottom