Why the run game worked this week when it was stopped last week?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Built2Win, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Built2Win

Built2Win A True Fan

Was the falcons a much better run defend team
    or did our online and running backs make a big stride in a week?

2. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Apalled and aghast Donator

I think number 22 had something to do with it.

3. Dfootball11

Dfootball11 Starter

I choose option (c) Chad Henne. I think since Henne was actually connecting with WRs, it opened the run game up. If Henne can continue to perform we could possibly have a top 10 offense this year.

4. Bumpus

Bumpus Are you gonna drink that? Administrator Finheaven VIP

Well, for one thing (against Atlanta) we were sitting our primary back.

5. normaldude

normaldude Starter

We currently only have two guys on offense that scare defenses: Brandon Marshall and Reggie Bush.

Both were out during the 1st preseason game against the Falcons, thus making it easy to defend against us.

6. yardlaw

yardlaw Well-Known Member

This. Reggie Bush!

7. JerryD

JerryD A True Fan

Carolina is THAT bad ... AND Reggie Bush is pretty good!!

8. JCane

JCane Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

Probably had nothing to do with Reggie Bush or different opponents.

9. josekareh

josekareh Finfansince75

When Oline gels this is the result

10. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

^this. The DL of Carolina was terrible.

11. CattailsrEdible

CattailsrEdible Well-Known Member

i think pouncey's elevated play helped also

12. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

well, watching preseason games this year, home teams are showing off to fans. I think ours was no different. gotta sell tickets after pissing people off from offseason in crappy economy.

Our game vs. Atlanta was so vanilla on O and D. We were already on the plane. So much attention to henne and his picks, that you become blinded by the reality that preseason is weird one week to next.

Tampa is now 0-2 and the traditional 3rd game coming up at home to show for hometown fans. This will be more of a test, but will Sparano decide that he has seen enough of marshall and bush to now only play them a series or two? You never know. Sparano is looking at New England and nothing else except maybe setting up some offensive plays to run. New England stuff will be hidden for sure.

13. eger

eger Starter

Carolina's D is pretty bad. Maybe 2 to 3 good players and talent and experience level drops off.

14. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

We have a new OC, a new offense, a new OL, a new H-Back and all new RBs with only one with any experience(Bush).

Not only did Bush play well in his first game but so did Marshall catching 5 out of 6 passes thrown to him.

I semi disagree about us having only 2 threats in Bush and Marshall. C Gates is a real threat, he twice beat double coverage and got open deep against the Panthers.

C Clay caught two passes, Bess and Marshall caught 5. Fasano caught two including the longest one of the day, 38 yards.

We opened up on them. On one hand we went 5 wide at least twice, and also ran the ball up the gut 5 times in a row(one had a penalty) for the TD.

15. justdev7

justdev7 Rookie

I didn't see much zone blocking in the first game. In fact I started a thread specifically about that fact and nobody seemed to notice or maybe I was off base but I definately saw zone blocking this week and all of a sudden there are running lanes.

16. phinatic0083

phinatic0083 Scout Team

Honestly Edmond gates is showing potential as a big threat. Somewhat in the mold of that Wallace dude on the Steelers who just burns people for the big play.

17. WVDolphan

WVDolphan A True Fan

Matty Ice :lol:

18. armyphin

armyphin A True Fan

I'd throw Bess into the mix but either way, the more threats, the harder it is on the opposing teams defense ( yeah, capt. obvious stuff ). To many guys to cover and now that Henne is spreading it out and connecting it's opened up the box for the running game. The O-line is probably starting to gel more as well and it should get even better once Long is back in the mix.

As some other guys have mentioned, once he gets his timing down with Gates and hits a few bombs it's going to really open things up.

19. normaldude

normaldude Starter

We all like Bess. But my quote said "guys on offense that scare defenses".

And let's be honest. Defenses aren't scared of Bess. As of right now, opposing defensive coordinators are only losing sleep about how to contain Brandon Marshall & Reggie Bush.

If Clyde Gates pans out, then it'll be perfect. Defenses will be scared of the short pass (Reggie Bush), the medium pass (Brandon Marshall), and the long pass (Clyde Gates). Defenses can no longer focus on containing Marshall, or stack 8 men in the box. It will really open the field for us.

20. normaldude

normaldude Starter

Sure, but as of right now, Clyde Gates is not a real deep threat until he actually catches a long pass.

The reason a WR with 4.3 speed gets drafted late, is because they're very raw, and will be a developmental prospect.

Most late round speedy WRs never pan out. Some pan out after a few years of development. Only a handful make meaningful contributions in their rookie year, like Mike Wallace and Johnny Knox.

If we're lucky, Clyde Gates contributes 500-700 yds this year. But more realistically, it may take a year or two before he really starts contributing.

21. Jamaicankid21

Jamaicankid21 A True Fan

Early on we kinda struggle, but you can see the running game open up throughout the game..

I think the main reasons were Reggie Bush, our pass opened up the run, Carolina D got tired from stayin on the field so long, and the Panthers just arent very good.

22. Sirspud

Sirspud Pro Bowler

Part of the reason why Gates hasn't caught a long pass is because Henne can't throw deep accurately. It's not as if he is Marlon Moore and just dropped a 40 yarder in his hands.

23. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

Pwk1 - henning offense
    pwk2- daboll offense

24. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

couple different reasons.

1.First game
    2.Reggie sat
    3.We used Clay, Pouncey, and Thomas a lot with the first team.
    4.Panthers do not have run stuffing DTs
    5.Falcons have a better run D

25. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

We have film in the game against the Panthers where C Gates not only breaks past press coverage but then also runs past the deep safety.......TWICE.

C Gates rode the back of the end zone and caught a hard TD pass form Matt Moore against the Falcons.

He beats our secondary in practice.

What he needs is more reps with our QBs etc. Which from what I'm understanding he is getting. So far the only big flaw in his game is that our QBs keep missing him when he is wide open.

He has helped open up the defense. As R Wallace can if he really starts playing. As even P Livas can.

As far as Marshall, Hartline and Bess, we have three very good all around WRs who can get open and catch passes. We can trust them to do this and each can get open in zones or single coverage.

And as said, R Bush is a real threat coming from anywhere. One day the safety is going to come up for R Bush coming out and C Gates will blow open for his 2nd TD pass.

We went from 3 WRs to 6 WRs and R Bush.

And we added speed.

A Fasano can get open and catch, he had the most receiving yards in the Panther's game plus he had the longest catch. C Clay can get open and catch the ball and is a much bigger threat downfield then L Polite was.

26. EJay

EJay Scout Team

While I realize this is a new season, Carolina was #18 in overall defense last season. While that's not great, it is close to middle of the road or average. Labeling them as "pretty bad" is a stretch. Pretty average would be more accurate.