Why Was Boston Successful in Arizona? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Was Boston Successful in Arizona?

FinFan57

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Since the Miami Dolphins have a great defense and a great group of running backs and our special teams seem to be fixed this year, this season will more than likely hinge on the success of our passing game. That said, we know what Chambers and McMichael can do, the obvious question is what will Boston contribute this year.

I can't say I know for sure why he was so successful in Arizona when he had his great pro bowl year. Was it because of Sullivan? Did Arizona have a great offensive line that provided great pass protection? Was Jake Plummer that much better than Fiedler or Feeley? Perhaps Arizona had no other offensive weapons and force-fed Boston the football so, in effect, his numbers were inflated. I really don't know the answer. I assume Jerry Sullivan certainly was part of the reason, but I don't the other contributing factors to his Pro Bowl season. Do you really think being 10 pounds lighter was a big factor? I'm anxious to hear responses, because I think Boston is going to be critical. If he has a great year, we should be a very hard team to beat.

I think a big part of it, was his ability to stay healthy for an entire year.

FinFan57 said:
Since the Miami Dolphins have a great defense and a great group of running backs and our special teams seem to be fixed this year, this season will more than likely hinge on the success of our passing game. That said, we know what Chambers and McMichael can do, the obvious question is what will Boston contribute this year.

I can't say I know for sure why he was so successful in Arizona when he had his great pro bowl year. Was it because of Sullivan? Did Arizona have a great offensive line that provided great pass protection? Was Jake Plummer that much better than Fiedler or Feeley? Perhaps Arizona had no other offensive weapons and force-fed Boston the football so, in effect, his numbers were inflated. I really don't know the answer. I assume Jerry Sullivan certainly was part of the reason, but I don't the other contributing factors to his Pro Bowl season. Do you really think being 10 pounds lighter was a big factor? I'm anxious to hear responses, because I think Boston is going to be critical. If he has a great year, we should be a very hard team to beat.

He was a monster that year. He punked other CBs and they relaxed their coverage on him. Most CBs waited for the safety or LB to come up for help in tackling him when he got the ball.

Arizona had a great offensive line if I remember correctly, I think Jake the Snake is better than Fiedler, and Sullivan had a big influence.

IMO the biggest factor was Jake Plummer, hitting Boston in stride. You let a beast like Boston catch the ball in space and turn upfield, he's going to do a lot of damage. Plummer, though not a spectacular QB, is accurate. That's why I believe Feeley needs to win the job. If Fiedler gets it, we will be squandering some great talent (Boston, Chambers and MCMichael). Fiedler is a great backup, pass the beer nuts.

The lower weight doesn't hurt matters either.

I think there were a combination of factors.

One of which, Plummer has a nice long ball. I dont think it's that he's accurate, it's just that he can throw the long ball. Their offense was pretty predicated on it, too. There was alot of emphesis on the deep routes, usually run by Boston.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
I think a big part of it, was his ability to stay healthy for an entire year.
dude, thats the best sig i have ever seen. Ever.

I thought the same thing when I saw it. I wish I knew who did it so I can give him props.

I think the biggest contributor was the fact that the Cardinals were always behind on the scoreboard.

Check the stats on Plummers attempts and Boston's yardage. I betcha most of the yardage came in losing efforts.

Then again that's not saying much....It's the Cardinals afterall. :D

Ya, but I think his weight has to play some kind of factor. Look at a before and after picture of the guy like the one in ESPN the magazine. He hasn't just bulked up, he frieking exploded. Then, once he reached the peak of monster size, down went his numbers..................
Not to mention he did get too many dead-eye passes from Mr. Birthmark in SD

Why was he successful? Because he's a freaking stud, now success may have gone too his head the last two years and knocked his ego down a notch or two. I fully expect a great year out of David Boston, I expect him to get back to what he was, I watched him alot that year and it wasn't the line, it wasn't Plummer, this guy was as dominant as any receiver I've ever seen..............

NoOffense said:
Why was he successful? Because he's a freaking stud, now success may have gone too his head the last two years and knocked his ego down a notch or two. I fully expect a great year out of David Boston, I expect him to get back to what he was, I watched him alot that year and it wasn't the line, it wasn't Plummer, this guy was as dominant as any receiver I've ever seen..............
RIGHT ON DUDE :drinkers:

Boston had a lot going for him in Arizona. He had muscle but didn't have too much like he does now. I'm pretty sure he played at 230 for most of his time there. Boston was the only weapon on his offense so they went to him a lot. Boston also had Jerry Sullivan with him, and hopefully he will help make him successful here. I don't think Boston can be as productive here as he was with the Cardinals, but if he drops his weight down to 230, he can be awesome. He is a big and fast receiver. He definitely has skill, but he just needs to drop the weight. If someone can get the ball to him, he will be awesome for us.

What ever the reasons, it was just plain Boston's abilities, skills and talent...

He had over 2,750 yards in 2 years with Arizona (2000 and 2001) with 169 (71 in 00', 98 in 01') receptions, a 16.3 YPC and 15 TDs.

Plummers numbers, though he had more attempts and more yards than JF in 2 years were worst when compared to execution.

Jake totals for 00'-01' was 525 comp on 1000 att (.52% comp), 6,599 yds (6.6 YPA), 31 TDs, 35 INTs, and a 69 QBR.

Back
Top Bottom