Why you should REALLY be upset about the BCS | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why you should REALLY be upset about the BCS

spydertl79

Active Roster
Reaction score
Once again, the Bowl Championship Series or BCS has proven that it is impossible to select two teams to play for the national championship every year. The NCAA may find it hard to believe that a handful of people with their own biases and a few funky math equations can't make all of America happy. It comes as no surprise to me that the BCS is going to fail to produce a true national champion once again if the Gators pull off a miracle on January 8th. Many people have been calling for a playoff all along, myself included but upon further review I have a real solution to crown a true national champion this year: Don't play a championship game.

"The" Ohio State University (the OSU which I hate only slightly less than USC and Notre Dame) has proven that they have the best all around team in college football.While OSU's previous BCS championship is remembered by many as the game the refs decided, this year they deserve to be crowned as the best team in college football. They, along with Boise State (see: joke) are the only undefeated team in college football. Ohio State has beaten many good teams and won the outright Big Ten championship over a Michigan team that is without a doubt the second best team in the nation.

Is Florida a great team? Yes. Has Florida beaten good teams? Yes. Can they beat Ohio State in January? Yes. I won't debate that the Gators are good, but they aren't perfect. Ohio State is perfect and shouldn't have to put a National Championship that they won two weeks ago in Columbus on the line against a Gators team that was defeated by Auburn because of their own mistakes.

After this year I believe that the BCS should change, but it won't. Why won't it change? Money. The NCAA is getting millions of dollars worth of free publicity because of the controversy caused by the BCS. Every year it seems like people are shocked that the system screwed up again; perhaps the NCAA wants it to fail.

spydertl79 said:
. Ohio State is perfect and shouldn't have to put a National Championship that they won two weeks ago in Columbus on the line against a Gators team that was defeated by Auburn because of their own mistakes.

This is ridiculous. You said earlier that UF could possibly beat OSU...and now they shouldn't put it on the line at all. Big 10 w/o a champ. game doesnt equal sec, sorry. No doubt Ohio St is the best in the nation right now...but leave them further untested after playing less games? NO.

No more bowl games....I say we never try and see how conference champions pair against each other! :sidelol:

UF wont beat Ohio ST. UF's defense wont be able to contain Ohio St's offense. Do you really think UF will keep pace with Ohio St?

Majpain said:
UF wont beat Ohio ST. UF's defense wont be able to contain Ohio St's offense. Do you really think UF will keep pace with Ohio St?

Who knows, but if I'm Ohio St. . . . Florida is the team I fear the most . . . because they are like Jekyl and Hyde man , u don't know who u are gonna get, but if the Gators are on . . . they can beat Ohio St. There defense is top 5 and they have a senior QB with playmakers all around him . . . they probably put it all together against the Buckeyes. This defintely isn't a gimme matchup IMO, its gonna be a good game . . . Urban is gonna have his troops ready.

Just a dumb argument. Because they are the best team they shouldnt have to play a championship game? How does that solve anything exactly?

spydertl79 said:
Once again, the Bowl Championship Series or BCS has proven that it is impossible to select two teams to play for the national championship every year. The NCAA may find it hard to believe that a handful of people with their own biases and a few funky math equations can't make all of America happy. It comes as no surprise to me that the BCS is going to fail to produce a true national champion once again if the Gators pull off a miracle on January 8th. Many people have been calling for a playoff all along, myself included but upon further review I have a real solution to crown a true national champion this year: Don't play a championship game.

"The" Ohio State University (the OSU which I hate only slightly less than USC and Notre Dame) has proven that they have the best all around team in college football.While OSU's previous BCS championship is remembered by many as the game the refs decided, this year they deserve to be crowned as the best team in college football. They, along with Boise State (see: joke) are the only undefeated team in college football. Ohio State has beaten many good teams and won the outright Big Ten championship over a Michigan team that is without a doubt the second best team in the nation.

Is Florida a great team? Yes. Has Florida beaten good teams? Yes. Can they beat Ohio State in January? Yes. I won't debate that the Gators are good, but they aren't perfect. Ohio State is perfect and shouldn't have to put a National Championship that they won two weeks ago in Columbus on the line against a Gators team that was defeated by Auburn because of their own mistakes.

After this year I believe that the BCS should change, but it won't. Why won't it change? Money. The NCAA is getting millions of dollars worth of free publicity because of the controversy caused by the BCS. Every year it seems like people are shocked that the system screwed up again; perhaps the NCAA wants it to fail.

Wow, just wow. I guess you would also like to cancel the Super Bowl, World Series, and NBA Finals. Why even play the post-season, we'll just give the championship to the team with the best record during the regular season. Let's give Peyton Manning his 4th ring this year...

Also, Ohio State only played two teams ranked in the final polls the entire year, #18 Texas and #3 Michigan. That's a pretty small body of work, and one you shouldn't be satisfied enough with to just hand them the trophy.

I'm upset because the season could end with only one undefeated team, but that team has no chance at a National Championship.

spydertl79 said:

This doesn't deserve a response.

If Ohio State is truly the best team, then they'll beat Florida to prove it so I don't see what your problem is here.

If Florida wins, then Ohio State will be the 2003 Oklahoma Sooners. A very solid (and highly overrated), yet basically untested, team that got exposed against a team closer in talent to itself than it's previous opponents. This is actually a good analogy because it wasn't too long ago when that Sooners team was being touted as "possibly among the best ever" and "undefeatable". Even though Ohio State isn't getting quite that level of hype, nobody seems to take seriously the possibility that they can lose. The Buckeyes should know better than anybody how false that can be...they won their last title against the supposedly "undefeatable" 2002 Miami Hurricanes! See how every year the media picks one team and superhypes them? Until they lose, of course.

Either way, there will be no argument that the winner of the title game will be the best team.

spydertl79 said:

Well, I agreed with you up until the "don't play the game" part :lol:

First off, I don't think OSU is "perfect". They were close in some games they shouldn't have been in the season, and their own mistakes almost cost them the game with Michigan. Also, I'm not so sure about Florida beating OSU. Florida has struggled in every game I have seen of late, be it because of inconsistant play, stupid penalties, or turnovers. The main reason I was lobbying for the Michigan rematch si because we KNOW how they match up, so we know it will be another great game, just like last years title game with Texas/USC. With Florida I'm not so sure, I'm really skeptical and nervous that the game will be a blowout which is what I DON'T wanna see in the national title game. The game should be two teams going back and forth all game, be it a defensive struggle or a shootout, either way if the game is close it's a great, nerve-racking game. I don't forsee a defensive struggle OR a shootout with Florida, I see OSU's defense shutting down Leak and the offense and OSU's offense scoring all over the Gators D. I HOPE it's not like that, and I'm going for the Gators, but I just don't have a good feeling.

All other stuff I agree with you on though, I hate OSU almost as much as USC (I don't mind Notre Dame), and I definately want a playoff becasue I don't think computers should have anything to do with deciding who plays football, and I think the polls are subject to major bias.

jpcdolphan said:
If Ohio State is truly the best team, then they'll beat Florida to prove it so I don't see what your problem is here.

If Florida wins, then Ohio State will be the 2003 Oklahoma Sooners. A very solid (and highly overrated), yet basically untested, team that got exposed against a team closer in talent to itself than it's previous opponents. This is actually a good analogy because it wasn't too long ago when that Sooners team was being touted as "possibly among the best ever" and "undefeatable". Even though Ohio State isn't getting quite that level of hype, nobody seems to take seriously the possibility that they can lose. The Buckeyes should know better than anybody how false that can be...they won their last title against the supposedly "undefeatable" 2002 Miami Hurricanes! See how every year the media picks one team and superhypes them? Until they lose, of course.

Either way, there will be no argument that the winner of the title game will be the best team.

I agree we'll see who the best team is..no arguements or blaming refs lets just get it on.

jpcdolphan said:

That sounds good...

Majpain said:

called team spead, you might just be suprised by them gators. Ark had ran over 200 yards on everyone during the season, guess what they did against UF. not so much

your right, but we need a playoff system, at least now different teams are getting the shaft and will start voting for a playoff system of some sort.

spydertl79 said:
This was an attempt at satire... guess it didn't work?
Well, I guess that one flew right over my head :o
That was a pretty long post for a joke.

Back
Top Bottom