Why????????????????????? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why?????????????????????

feelthepain

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I don't understand why the forums had to be changed this is the slowest time of the year and we won't have much dolphins news for quite a while so why do we have to search all over to look for things we want to talk about??? This site always seems to take everything to extremes!!!

feelthepain said:
I don't understand why the forums had to be changed this is the slowest time of the year and we won't have much dolphins news for quite a while so why do we have to search all over to look for things we want to talk about??? This site always seems to take everything to extremes!!!

"Search ALL OVER?" Dude you're kidding, right? I mean, every forum is right there on the index page http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/index.php?
It's all there, all you have to do is click. Really, you were kidding right? :lol:

NaboCane said:
"Search ALL OVER?" Dude you're kidding, right? I mean, every forum is right there on the index page http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/index.php?
It's all there, all you have to do is click. Really, you were kidding right? :lol:

Maybe so, but when I log on it comes up to the main page, why should I go to the Draft forum to talk about draft picks then go to another forum to talk about a division rival then go to another forum to talk about collectables when all these things are in some way related to the fins??? "Dude", it's ridiculous!!!

Now when I click on the main page....all I see are the same fifteen subjects day after day!! I could understand it if we started talking about how to fix a car on the main page, but 90% of what I would read on the front page was fin related in some way.

:lol: Believe me, in a couple weeks you'll be so used to it that you'll look back and wonder why we ever did it any other way.

NaboCane said:
:lol: Believe me, in a couple weeks you'll be so used to it that you'll look back and wonder why we ever did it any other way.

This could be true, however I visit lots of sites and division rivals and they don't seem to have a problem talking about other things that revolve around their team. It's like whomever's in charge of this site is a bit anal.

feelthepain said:
This could be true, however I visit lots of sites and division rivals and they don't seem to have a problem talking about other things that revolve around their team. It's like whomever's in charge of this site is a bit anal.

Ive been to other teams sites and they are all simple and not as good

I like our layout best

feelthepain said:

They don't have 12,000 members and countiing...it takes real thought and planning to accommodate that so that everything isn't crammed in one place..

feelthepain said:

None of those sites have as much traffic as this one. You're going overboard with the anal comment.

NaboCane said:
They don't have 12,000 members and countiing...it takes real thought and planning to accommodate that so that everything isn't crammed in one place..

I'll have to say I don't think there were too many times I've been to this site and not liked the topics on the main page. It's not like what I think matters, but I don't like the new system. Since this is the place to speak your peace I'm speakin!! I'm done.

feelthepain said:
Maybe so, but when I log on it comes up to the main page, why should I go to the Draft forum to talk about draft picks then go to another forum to talk about a division rival then go to another forum to talk about collectables when all these things are in some way related to the fins??? "Dude", it's ridiculous!!!

Now when I click on the main page....all I see are the same fifteen subjects day after day!! I could understand it if we started talking about how to fix a car on the main page, but 90% of what I would read on the front page was fin related in some way.

Actually, I think you'll end up doing less searching now that things are a bit more segmented. By splitting up some of the most frequently posted topics into their own forums, it allows for more of the top threads on that topic to remain visible without searching through pages of threads to find that certain topic (or do what usually gets done and start a new 2 millionth thread on the same exact topic). Instead, with this new system, all the most popular threads on certain topics are no longer competing for limited space on the coveted first page of the main forum.

People who choose the "I didn't post it in that forum because it never gets any traffic" argument are flawed in their thinking as well... If no one ever goes to the forum that has been set up for the topic that they are posting in the main forum, one of two things has to be true:

1. No one cares about the topic and it doesn't belong in the main forum anyway
2. No one goes to the sub-forum because everyone disregards its existance and wrongly post off-topic content in the main forum for more "publicity".

As you can see, it's a self defeating concept really... No action in subforums promotes ignoring them and posting the content in the main forum instead, which in turn leads to no action in the subforums.

Believe me, during the offseason there will be loads of topics about our signings and pickups in the main forum, and mocks and draft speculation in the draft forum. The difference this year, is that the two different topics will have their own little homes and won't have to compete with each other for front page status that has a tendancy to kill good threads before the discussion has really run it's course.

phinphanphrommi said:
Actually, I think you'll end up doing less searching now that things are a bit more segmented. By splitting up some of the most frequently posted topics into their own forums, it allows for more of the top threads on that topic to remain visible without searching through pages of threads to find that certain topic (or do what usually gets done and start a new 2 millionth thread on the same exact topic). Instead, with this new system, all the most popular threads on certain topics are no longer competing for limited space on the coveted first page of the main forum.

People who choose the "I didn't post it in that forum because it never gets any traffic" argument are flawed in their thinking as well... If no one ever goes to the forum that has been set up for the topic that they are posting in the main forum, one of two things has to be true:

1. No one cares about the topic and it doesn't belong in the main forum anyway
2. No one goes to the sub-forum because everyone disregards its existance and wrongly post off-topic content in the main forum for more "publicity".

As you can see, it's a self defeating concept really... No action in subforums promotes ignoring them and posting the content in the main forum instead, which in turn leads to no action in the subforums.

Believe me, during the offseason there will be loads of topics about our signings and pickups in the main forum, and mocks and draft speculation in the draft forum. The difference this year, is that the two different topics will have their own little homes and won't have to compete with each other for front page status that has a tendancy to kill good threads before the discussion has really run it's course.

Thank you for taking the time to explain. My point is this is a slow time and will be for a few months. I guess with so many members this had to be done, I'm just not crazy about the timing.

feelthepain said:
Thank you for taking the time to explain. My point is this is a slow time and will be for a few months. I guess with so many members this had to be done, I'm just not crazy about the timing.
Just because it may be a "slow" time of the year, does not mean we should lower our standards of what a good topic is. I'd rather have one good topic to discuss than 10 crappy ones. If a topic is good it will get some play. post quality, not quantity.

feelthepain said:

I can appreciate that... but I don't think adjusting the policy for a slow offseason would be an acceptable alternative. Not only will it promote the continuation of the bad habit once the main board has more to discuss, but it also plays with the archival and search functions. If half the draft/trade sort of threads were in the main forum and the other half in the appropriate forum, it would make it vastly more difficult to find older threads on a topic than it would be to know you need only limit your search to the correct forum.

Back
Top Bottom