Wide Receiver Fits | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wide Receiver Fits

We need more receivers with strong hands who can catch in traffic. Pitts is at the top.

J-off where do you think we have to strike to get Moore? Third round probably too late?

also, I know Schwartz from auburn has wheels, but is he another grant? All speed and no hands? (I know he’s bigger)

If what we are interested in is one of the smaller, quicker, slot-type WRs... most of these guys will fall into the late 2nd round and later.

...and it is one reason why I have been slow to accept that we NEED to take two WRs early... a lot of these undersized, slippery guys will slide... pun intended.

I'd like to upgrade the slot but not with an early pick. There are several slot only types I like, but I'm looking at those on day 3.

Smith makes sense as the early pick b/c he's a WR who can play inside or out, is great at separation and has great hands and is one of the best football players in the draft at our biggest area of need.

I think Miami should be looking for a Jaylen Waddle or Tutu Atwell.

It's possible that Dwayne Eskridge also fits the bill, but I haven't gotten to him yet. Miami will get a nice, close look at him this week at the Senior Bowl.

It's not just about having a dynamic player who can work the inside, backfield, jet sweeps, etc. It's also about having blinding speed that will push and hold the deep safeties from the inside-out. That's why when I see people going for some of these other slots like Kadarius Tony and Elijah Moore, I appreciate those players and I think they can do work in the NFL on the right team, but it's not everything we need in order to build the offense around Tua. We need the synergies between that type of inside speed player, the outside receiving options, and the running back.

Of course, having players on the outside that can create separation, catch-and-run, and beat man coverage is also a big deal. That's where Devonta Smith comes in. And having a running back who can beat defenders and gain yards, also a big deal. That's where a Najee Harris comes in.

Look at the Louisville Cardinals trio of Tutu Atwell, Dez Fitzpatrick, and Javian Hawkins. Look at how they all play off one another. You've got Atwell holding three defender to the middle, which gives you the ability to throw one-on-one to Fitzpatrick on the outside. You've got the east-west threat of Atwell stretching the defense to the back side, and so Javian Hawkins becomes the biggest homerun threat ball carrier in the country. If Malik Cunningham were a better passer that could've been a 40+ points per game offense.

That's what what Alabama had with Waddle, Smith, and Harris. That was the best offense college football had probably ever seen. My point in bringing up the Louisville unit is that what Alabama achieved is replicable, to a degree, even without the talents of Devonta Smith, Mac Jones, Jaylen Waddle, Najee Harris, and that squad of big ugly brutes on the line.

I have a very high opinion of Tutu Atwell and I think the Draft media will as well. I notice that Daniel Jeremiah recently started changing his 1st round mocks after consulting with NFL scouts, and suddenly he's got guys like Tutu Atwell and Aaron Robinson going in the 1st round. There's a reason. NFL people are higher on these players than the media have been, up to now.

It's possible that Dwayne Eskridge also fits the bill, but I haven't gotten to him yet. Miami will get a nice, close look at him this week at the Senior Bowl.

It's not just about having a dynamic player who can work the inside, backfield, jet sweeps, etc. It's also about having blinding speed that will push and hold the deep safeties from the inside-out. That's why when I see people going for some of these other slots like Kadarius Tony and Elijah Moore, I appreciate those players and I think they can do work in the NFL on the right team, but it's not everything we need in order to build the offense around Tua. We need the synergies between that type of inside speed player, the outside receiving options, and the running back.

Of course, having players on the outside that can create separation, catch-and-run, and beat man coverage is also a big deal. That's where Devonta Smith comes in. And having a running back who can beat defenders and gain yards, also a big deal. That's where a Najee Harris comes in.

Look at the Louisville Cardinals trio of Tutu Atwell, Dez Fitzpatrick, and Javian Hawkins. Look at how they all play off one another. You've got Atwell holding three defender to the middle, which gives you the ability to throw one-on-one to Fitzpatrick on the outside. You've got the east-west threat of Atwell stretching the defense to the back side, and so Javian Hawkins becomes the biggest homerun threat ball carrier in the country. If Malik Cunningham were a better passer that could've been a 40+ points per game offense.

That's what what Alabama had with Waddle, Smith, and Harris. That was the best offense college football had probably ever seen. My point in bringing up the Louisville unit is that what Alabama achieved is replicable, to a degree, even without the talents of Devonta Smith, Mac Jones, Jaylen Waddle, Najee Harris, and that squad of big ugly brutes on the line.

I have a very high opinion of Tutu Atwell and I think the Draft media will as well. I notice that Daniel Jeremiah recently started changing his 1st round mocks after consulting with NFL scouts, and suddenly he's got guys like Tutu Atwell and Aaron Robinson going in the 1st round. There's a reason. NFL people are higher on these players than the media have been, up to now.
Say we miss/pass on DeVonta, draft Waddle instead, and Najee goes higher than expected. Who else in this draft fills the outside receiver and RB that can gain yards roles?

I like Waddle a lot, and have him as my top WR for what Miami needs. If you watch what Sark did with him this year you will see a lot of things that KC does with Hill. Waddle has the ability to run away from coverage and quick enough feet to beat them off the LOS.

Atwell does a lot of that as well, but at 5'9", 165lbs, that just scares the crap out of me. There's a lot to like, but at the end of the day I am not sure a WR of his physical stature gets drafted in round 1, just not sure his body can take the wear and tear of the amount of plays you expect to see out of a first round guy.

DWayne Eskridge Western Michigan watch his tape

I agree, I watched some of his tape from this season...guy looks amazing. Can beet you deep with that sub 4.4 speed or can go over the middle as well..

Played for a smaller school so obviously some will question his level of competition...but you can't teach speed and the guy can fly..creates a lot of YAC using his unbelievable speed

I'd love to see Miami closely duplicate what Alabama has at the skill positions.

Watching Hill in KC nobody can cover him. I'd take Smith over Waddle, but might explore moving up if Waddle falls closer to #18 than expected.

Do you think Smith and Toney would be the next best option?

I like Waddle a lot, and have him as my top WR for what Miami needs. If you watch what Sark did with him this year you will see a lot of things that KC does with Hill. Waddle has the ability to run away from coverage and quick enough feet to beat them off the LOS.

Atwell does a lot of that as well, but at 5'9", 165lbs, that just scares the crap out of me. There's a lot to like, but at the end of the day I am not sure a WR of his physical stature gets drafted in round 1, just not sure his body can take the wear and tear of the amount of plays you expect to see out of a first round guy.
I could see that, especially with his comparison to Hill. Hill is so special.

Love to see Miami get both Smith and Waddle. I know I'm being greedy.

How about Smith in the draft and Samuel in free agency?

I can't see the Dolphins taking two wide receivers in the first round.

He's 5'9" but he's not 165 lbs. People over-rely on listings in this respect and they're infamously bad. Sometimes they're literally not updated from when the guy was a freshman. I see it all the time, this acceptance of listings to the point where people are ready to make conclusive arguments based on them. Happens with Devonta Smith, Atwell, etc. I saw a listing for Dillon Radunz that has him at 265 lbs. And if you believe that, then you really shouldn't be attempting to evaluate tape.

Looking at a guy on the tape and assessing for yourself what his frame looks like to you, whether it looks deficient or whatever, it's a lost art. I don't know why people are so lazy about it.

FWIW Bruce Feldman had Atwell at 5'9" & 190 lbs., bench pressing twice his weight, squatting three times his weight, running a 4.26 with a 3.9 shuttle.

One of the reasons I like Atwell so much is that like Tyreek Hill, he's excellent at tagging the end of his routes and going into a scramble drill. He had to be, because his quarterback was Malik Cunningham. But also it's good to remember that he WAS a scrambling dual-threat quarterback himself in high school, so he's got that perspective. The result is that he's very quick and decisive about tagging the end of his route, and instinctive when it comes to finding a passing lane or an open space for his quarterback to throw into.

Back
Top Bottom