Will the real Coach K please stand up! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will the real Coach K please stand up!

TarHeelPhinfan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Very good article on why people hate or love Duke. He notes for example,

"I like that Coach K had the nerve, more than 20 years ago, to speak out against the officiating double standard enjoyed by North Carolina legend Dean Smith. I dislike that Coach K, now a legend himself, seeks that same officiating double standard through intimidation -- and has the nerve to say he doesn't seek it, or get it."

Frankly, the spotless reputation that Duke fans claim leaves a lot to be desired. Hope all you Duke fans read up

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/7217936

I beg to differ. Gary Williams works the refs harder than any coach. Ever heard of Bob Knight? Coach K doesn't get as worked up as those 2. That's total BS what that article said.

And like Dean Smith or Roy Williams never cursed. Please...

Originally posted by DolphinDevil28
I beg to differ. Gary Williams works the refs harder than any coach. Ever heard of Bob Knight? Coach K doesn't get as worked up as those 2. That's total BS what that article said.

And like Dean Smith or Roy Williams never cursed. Please...

I give K credit b/c he knows how to work the refs to his advantage, he absolutely intimidates the officials to where IF duke gets a bad call a makeup call is coming real soon. Knight or Gary might have the veins popping out of their head more than K but K works the refs harder than anyone.

Come'on DD28. Can't it just be admitted by a Duke fan that "K" and/or Duke is not holier than thou and has a fault or two (or ten)? Just because they win doesn’t absolve them from scrutiny. I actually agree with you that G. Williams is probably worse than K on the sidelines. But that's not what the article says. It says that there are reasons behind Duke’s "success" and not all of them are very classy. IMO, it's a very fair article.

Hey nyjunc, I like that site too. Thanks for suggesting it. Maybe others will become enlightened!

TarHeel, not once did I say Duke was perfect. I know this. EVERY program has its faults. I would not be a Duke fan if they were "perfect". It would be too easy. I love Duke because I think they are one of the classiest programs from staff to coaches to players.

And everyone else is a "Dukeophobe" and hates them just because they are successful. I resent that itself more than if a coach is say, arrogant or intimidating.

If I were a Carolina fan, I'd feel like a cow in a herd of cattle just being moved along. I like to be different.

And everyone else is a "Dukeophobe" and hates them just because they are successful. I resent that itself more than if a coach is say, arrogant or intimidating.

I don't hate them so much b/c they are successful, I respect the fact that they are successful, I hate them so much b/c I grew up a UNC fan and duke is our biggest rival. In the past both teams were always top 5-10 programs(except for duke from '95-'97and UNC the past couple of years) so I didn't care as much about duke but it has been hard watching them have success and us not being as good as usual. I'm sure duke fans felt the same way when they stunk in '95 and were mediocre in '96 & '97 and watched UNC go to the FF in '95 & '97.

Another reason I dislike them is the myth that duke is all class. duke for the most part runs a clean program but it's not as squeaky clean as the media portrays them. They had the Maggette situation where he was inelegible(and just about any other program would have had their FF berth stripped from them but the NCAA looked the other way), many players parents have gotten jobs in NC(from boosters but either way that's a little fishy), redick was busted for pot, Shelden was accused of rape then the charges were mysteriously dropped when supposedly the girl had a good case, Laetner stomping on a UK players chest(usually if you do that you are ejected but he was allowed to stay and later hit the famous GW shot), K is ALWAYS cursing up a storm and riding the refs, jj is the biggest punk in the ACC w/ his typical 3 fo 14 shooting night then he hits 1 shot and he's talking trash and making an idiot out of himself. The list goes on, I know there are dents in carolina's class armor too but not quite like this and it is just irritating how the media tells us how perfect they are when they are not.

Man, half of those stories are rumors. Where the hell did you hear all that? A UNC news site?

I did hear the JJ/pot thing, but it was proven he did not smoke it, otherwise he would have been suspended.

Man, half of those stories are rumors. Where the hell did you hear all that? A UNC news site?

I did hear the JJ/pot thing, but it was proven he did not smoke it, otherwise he would have been suspended.

I didn't make any of it up, they have all been reported.

Link about Williams:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/college/news/2002/01/25/duke_recruit/

I wrote my post before I saw this article so it's interesting that this is written today(about Maggette):

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;...Q--?slug=dw-ncaafavorites&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

about Laetner:

http://espn.go.com/classic/s/game_of_week_duke_uk.html

a link to a reprint of article on duhon's mom:

http://www.truthaboutduke.com/duhon_nola.php

...I did hear the JJ/pot thing, but it was proven he did not smoke it, otherwise he would have been suspended.

Was it that he didn't smoke it or just didn't inhale? :lol: The facts here state that Duke isn't any more classy than anyone else, maybe even less so. Duke's a fine school and K has a solid program but there's more going on here than great education or great coach. Although you're right in a way when you say people hate them because they're successful, after all why would we hate them if they sucked? (unless of course it's Clemson ;)) but Duke haters really hate them for the fans and some media perception (Dickie V, comes to mind) that this program should be held up to everyone's face as some kind of pristine thing that no one can hold a candle to and can do no wrong. For example, Reddick is a real one-trick turd on the court, there is little classy about him and K is foul mouthed and whiny. It's great to finally see some coverage on this by the media.

BTW, did you happen to catch a glimpse of Duke impending doom during the McDonald's HS game? One name - J.R. Smith. Now if we can keep him out of the pros for a seasonor two...

Jeez, JR Smith was unreal in that game. God dang.

ny, I know about Laetner. Everyone knows he's a pothead. LOL.
As far as Shelden Williams, there was just an accusation. You know how many girls claim rape and it's a lie?

If JJ and Duke are so classless, why wasn't there any complaint among ACC fans when the whole Maryland student section was chanting "F... you Redick"??? It seems SO convenient that everyone turned their heads for that. I know there was a new ruling that came out and everything, but God if the Cameron Crazies did that, it would have been pandemonium among the fans.

And what about that new UNC recruit that just got busted for SELLING pot? I forgot his name, but yall failed to mention him, which is no surprise.

ps. ny, I love your sig. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my my. I'm sniffing some MAJOR hypocrisy here.

"Coach K is foul mouthed."

Have you forgotten the NATIONALLY TELEVISED STATEMENT by Roy Williams, I think it went something along the lines of "I don't give a $hit about Carolina."

Yeah, everyone that goes to Carolina is just a saint.

As far as Shelden Williams, there was just an accusation. You know how many girls claim rape and it's a lie?

From what I read at the time it seemed their was good evidence to do something but the girl was pressured and dropped the charges. I'll give Shelden the benfit of the doubt since he was never prosecuted but something is fishy there.

If JJ and Duke are so classless, why wasn't there any complaint among ACC fans when the whole Maryland student section was chanting "F... you Redick"???

I thought that was disgusting what the MD fans did but the MD fans have always been classless, MD & State fans are the most vulgar and classless in the ACC and there was alot made out of it.

And what about that new UNC recruit that just got busted for SELLING pot? I forgot his name, but yall failed to mention him, which is no surprise.

His name is JamesOn Curry and it looks like Roy isn't going to take him b/c of this incident. It has to be played out in court but no Carolina fan expects him to be a Tar Heel anymore.

ps. ny, I love your sig.
:lol:

Have you forgotten the NATIONALLY TELEVISED STATEMENT by Roy Williams, I think it went something along the lines of "I don't give a $hit about Carolina."

Roy knows that was a mistake but the man had just lost the nat'l title game and already they were asking about the UNC job so he was frustrated and the S word is nothing like the F's that K let's out about 200 times a game.

Yeah, everyone that goes to Carolina is just a saint.

I never said that. EVERY program has skeletons in the closet but Carolina probably has fewer than any program.

So what!!?? A curse word is a curse word.

After the times Coach K lost in the tournament and especially the championhip game in '99, he CONGRATULATES AND PRAISES the other team instead of dropping S bombs on national TV.

So what!!?? A curse word is a curse word.

After the times Coach K lost in the tournament and especially the championhip game in '99, he CONGRATULATES AND PRAISES the other team instead of dropping S bombs on national TV.

He did congratulate and praise Boeheim & Syracuse, he made a mistake and he admitted that. The reason he lost it was b/c of his love for KU and his players, it was a difficult time for him. I'll give him a pass as this was a 1 time only type of thing.

You are really reaching w/ this one.

Back
Top Bottom