With the #3 pick I want the Dolphins to.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

With the #3 pick I want the Dolphins to....

I want the Dolphins to...

• Trade down

Votes: 33 64.7%
  • Draft Sewell

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Draft Chase

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draft Smith

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Draft Parsons

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Draft a quarterback

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

jason37

Drivin' the Yeremiah Bell Bandwagon
Reaction score
Just a poll to see what the majority is thinking.

Here is a draft trade chart for reference
2E0D29E4-B0C0-4CBB-A966-61AF2CC98B40.jpeg

Trade down would be my pick , but that return needs to reflect what we would be giving up. So it's got to be a monster haul that helps us this year, not deferring everything to next we need help now. So dropping only a short way so we still get that blue chip receiver we need (probably need 2 receivers) as well as at least another top 50 pick.

If we can't get a trading partner that's willing to meet our valuation, then I stay put and take Sewell. Not sure how folks think Parsons moves the needle more for this franchise right now, than one if not the best line prospect to come out in a long time.

Perfect world, trade 3 to the Panthers for 8, 39, 73. Then trade 8 to SF for 12, 43

Then we have 12, 18, 36, 39, 43, 50, 73, 82

If you want to go crazy on WRs and RBs you could then draft...

1CBA99DB-C63F-45FA-8799-292FEF9C4754.png

Last edited:
Probably trade down at this moment.

Why?

Is Sewell a huge need with a left handed QB? Sure, getting a stud tackle never hurts, but we took Jackson last year in the 1st and more times than not it takes linemen a year or two to adapt.
Chase seems like a stud receiver, but this class is good up top* and they probably can get a good one later in the first, especially with a small trade down. Ross, Smith, Waddle can all be had, and 2 of the three played with Tua.
Parsons at 3 seems high. He has the making of a stud linebacker, but he isn't without flaws.

*Edit: Forgot abut Justyn ross and his spinal issue

Last edited:
I wouldn’t trade to Carolina for what’s being suggested. Giving up a prime top 3 spot with two generational talents knocking around and QB desperate teams around as well, If I’m dropping from 3-8 and getting a miserly second rounder and third rounder out of it when they pick up a generational talent and I get a WR with those 2 extra picks I’m not going to be smiling. They need to give up two 1sts for me and a second in the coming draft. They want penei they gotta pay Laremy prices plus a little

I prefer trading back to Carolina also.

Looks like in one scenario we could trade down to 9th with Carolina and get an extra 2nd and 3rd this year.

We could use the 3rd to then go up to #15 in round 1. Or keep it for an RB. Wouldn't be bad.

I wouldn’t trade to Carolina for what’s being suggested. Giving up a prime top 3 spot with two generational talents knocking around and QB desperate teams around as well, If I’m dropping from 3-8 and getting a miserly second rounder and third rounder out of it when they pick up a generational talent and I get a WR with those 2 extra picks I’m not going to be smiling. They need to give up two 1sts for me and a second in the coming draft. They want penei they gotta pay Laremy prices plus a little

Yeah I'm screwing anyone looking to move up for Sewell or Qb#2 or 3, it's way too valuable a spot this year to not get multiple firsts in return. a high first first, a high second and a first next year is what I would look for if not then tell them to move along.

I agree. I think the price for dropping from 3 to 8 would have to be at least a first next year and a 2nd this year and possibly more. I don't think they will be targeting Penei though. I think they'll be targeting QB. My guess is that by the time the draft rolls around Lawrence, Fields and Wilson will all be considered/coveted in the top 3 and that Miami will have the opportunity to trade down. Miami will not consider a QB there (despite the hysteria in the forum), but they will consider Penei, Smith, Parsons or Chase. If they like them all equally (or at least close) then obviously dropping down anywhere in the top 7 would be a no-brainer (and maybe even 8-10 if they believe that another player may sneak in there like Surtain or Rouseau). If they have a strong preference for one or two of them (I have a fairly strong preference for Penei and Smith) then they may not be as keen to trade down or at least not trade down very far.

I think how much they like Smith and where they think he'll go will be a big factor. It's not difficult to imagine Smith being one of, if not the, top priority. His talent, productivity and fit in terms of skill set and personality (not to mention his familiarity and apparent trust with our QB) seem ideal. Kiper has him as the 4th best player but others have him as low as 12th. If you see him as top 4 and likely to go high, you probably just take him at #3. If you think other teams won't be as high on him or are likely to fill other needs, then you may be willing to drop down a bit.

It's kind of the same with Penei. He seems like an ideal OL prospect and most have him going in the top 5. If he's your guy, you probably just take him at #3.

Parsons is a guy whom I expect they see as a perfect fit in terms of talent and skill set. There may be some maturity or team player personality questions with him based on issues in HS and college though so his fit may not be as perfect as the other two. I'm also not sure they would see LB as a greater need than WR (but maybe as high as T?).

Chase was the best WR in the country last season (Smith this season). He doesn't have the weight concern that some may have with Smith, but his skill set may not be as perfect for us. And he doesn't have that built-in relationship with Tua. Depending on individual preferences I can understand someone seeing him as a the best WR in the draft. I just think Chase isn't as good as Smith at getting separation in the short and intermediate routes which I expect will continue to be a big part of our offense regardless or whom we bring in as the OC.

I can't say I'd be disappointed with any of those four (although I'd be disappointed on missing out on the other 3 regardless). I think they'll all be great players. The biggest risk IMO is probably Parsons b/c lack of maturity can derail any career regardless of talent. But I don't expect we'll ever have enough information to say he is or isn't mature enough prior to the draft. If he were the pick I would trust that the staff did their due diligence and made a reasonable decision.

The other factor for many is what the drop-off is to next player (presumably at #18 or so depending on if we trade up for someone they covet). IMO there is no comparable guy to Penei. The drop-off is huge. So if he's your guy and you see T as a big need then you just take him. I think Collins at LB is much closer to Parsons in our system. I don't see Collins as explosive as Parsons, but in a 'everybody just do your job' defense like ours the production/impact might be close. WR is tougher. I have Smith and Chase as the best with Waddle a hair below and then everybody else a step below that. IMO Smith and Chase are the guys who would be clear #1s for us. Waddle, as much as a I like him, may end up as more of a slot guy or your S/E deep guy. Someone in the next tier may obviously develop into a great WR, but whom that will be is kind of a crap shoot.

For me, the best case scenario is trading down a bit and still getting Smith.
#2 is just taking Penei or Smith at #3
#3 would be trading down a bit or just taking Chase
#4 would be trading down a bit or just taking Parsons
#5 would be trading down more and taking Waddle

Just a poll to see what the majority is thinking.

Here is a draft trade chart for reference
View attachment 61975

You don’t have the correct picks highlighted in that draft chart image. The first few are 3, 18, 36 and 50.

Also, some are going to tell you that chart is a bit antiquate. The values differ from draft to draft.

Back
Top Bottom