With the first pick in the draft the dolphins select... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

With the first pick in the draft the dolphins select...

I think that you absolutely have to take CJ. I posted this before. With Joey and DC on the roster, which they both will be, we will not take a QB and CJ is a rare talent. Tall, big, with 4.3 speed. He is a freak. Chambers has underachieved this year, Booker is constantly hurt, and even with Hagan and Welker on the roster, you can not pass this up. I know teams that have gone BPA before with receivers (Lions, Cards) haven't turned out very good, but I would loooove to see CJ in a Fins uni next year.

Dolfan_Noles said:
I think that you absolutely have to take CJ. I posted this before. With Joey and DC on the roster, which they both will be, we will not take a QB and CJ is a rare talent. Tall, big, with 4.3 speed. He is a freak. Chambers has underachieved this year, Booker is constantly hurt, and even with Hagan and Welker on the roster, you can not pass this up. I know teams that have gone BPA before with receivers (Lions, Cards) haven't turned out very good, but I would loooove to see CJ in a Fins uni next year.

I would actually be willing to contest that the Cards doing it has worked out well. It's not so much a knock on Bryant Johnson to be thier third, but rather the amazing production from Boldin that Johnson is third. Had Rogers not gotten hurt as a rookie, and subsequently his second year, I even think they would be much better off at WR(because obviously Roy Williams was a great pick), but that is simply speculation.

Frisches13283 said:
Actually, there is a rookie cap for every team, and it is designated by where you pick in the draft. And trading out of the 1st round does not make the most sense, otherwise more teams would try and do it(and in the process never garner equal return on thier trade). If you manage to trade out of the 1st round, you normally acquire future picks, which again are hinged on a bunch of potential. And with the Herschel Walker trade, the cowboys acquired a bunch of picks including a first rounder. The team that would be considered stupid, was the team that traded out of the 1st round to do so, because Johnson got the much better deal ultimately. Then again, his results were predicated on potential, so it must have been a lousy investment.

Oh snap!

I actually agree with trading down as a general rule. There's no reason why Ronnie Brown should be getting paid more than Tiki Barber (and I LOVE Ronnie). Top draft picks' salaries are out of control. Gimme 3 2nd round picks instead of a top 5 overall pick. Your odds of "hitting" are better and they don't kill your cap.

But the whole draft is a crapshoot.

Gardenhead said:
Oh snap!

I actually agree with trading down as a general rule. There's no reason why Ronnie Brown should be getting paid more than Tiki Barber (and I LOVE Ronnie). Top draft picks' salaries are out of control. Gimme 3 2nd round picks instead of a top 5 overall pick. Your odds of "hitting" are better and they don't kill your cap.

But the whole draft is a crapshoot.

Yes, it's more of informed crapshoot though. Still a crapshoot, but slightly better odds.

It depends what 2nd round picks, and who is availale, as to whether I would want the lone top 5 pick or not.

As for the contracts, I agree. But precedence is set on the inflation of rooke contracts from year to year, the previous year's draft pick's contact at that slot, and the contracts of the players drafted around the player in question.

It would require the NFL stepping in, a major MAJOR statement by clubs(in which they would have to continually refuse to play ball with picks who want to get shown the $$$), or a very conservative agreement from an agent and his player.

None of which are very likely, though a trend of lower agreements(this would take years) is the most likely way of working high draft slot contracts down to a more reasonable level.

Joe Thomas! Basically, in the NFL, if you have a good oline, you have a good team. Hello Denver! Plummer sucks ***. They're 5-1. Minnesota! Not the most talented team but they're still 4-2. Name me a team that has a good oline and a losing record.

miami234ever said:
Joe Thomas! Basically, in the NFL, if you have a good oline, you have a good team. Hello Denver! Plummer sucks ***. They're 5-1. Minnesota! Not the most talented team but they're still 4-2. Name me a team that has a good oline and a losing record.

I can only name one. Pittsburgh.

imo we have to take CJ if he is availible, he is too good to pass up. If we can get him, our recieving group will be great with Chanbers, CJ, Hagan, Welker, and hopefully vick

Frisches13283 said:
I can only name one. Pittsburgh.

True. Good one. That's because Big Ben signed a deal with the devil!:evil: I'm really starting to feel bad for him.

Note: If we drafted Calvin Johnson, we would be like Oakland. Two good-great receivers and no oline.

miami234ever said:
True. Good one. That's because Big Ben signed a deal with the devil!:evil: I'm really starting to feel bad for him.

Note: If we drafted Calvin Johnson, we would be like Oakland. Two good-great receivers and no oline.

I don't know if I would go that far. Our TE is much better than thiers(albeit inconsistent), and our QBs are better(or are percieved to be better at least). Also, our line has suffered many injuries, I don't know if Oakland could say the same.

I think it depends on what our final record is and where we pick. I also think it depends on how some of our receivers play the rest of the year before we start talking about CJ. I think Thomas is the safe pick as he will be a great o-lineman....you never know with Quinn or Troy Smith. :shakeno:

Roman529 said:
I think it depends on what our final record is and where we pick. I also think it depends on how some of our receivers play the rest of the year before we start talking about CJ. I think Thomas is the safe pick as he will be a great o-lineman....you never know with Quinn or Troy Smith. :shakeno:

I don't know of any draft analysts/experts who view Smith as a first round pick, let alone a top 5. Just so you know.

Aqua4Ever04 said:
Well the BPA would be Calvin Johnson. I don't know that we would go WR however.

Lets just hope he's great enough to be excellent trade bait. Drop down to around 3-5 and pick up a tackle armed with an extra 2nd rounder and most likely a first the following year.

That gives you the luxury of picking up an interior linemen in the 2nd and then going BPA with the other one.

Back
Top Bottom