With the X-th pick, the Dolphins get...Brady Quinn | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

With the X-th pick, the Dolphins get...Brady Quinn

I disagree with the entire premise of this thread. We don't need a new QB. We have Culpepper, Harrington, and Lemon. We are set at QB, even if you aren't happy with the current performance of the first two. A healthy Culpepper will lead this team for the next six years, Harrington will likely become 3rd- or 4th-round trade bait, and Lemon is our future #2. We don't need to pick up a QB for several years, unless we plan to immediately trade him (see Eli Manning.)

We need to focus on the defense in this draft. Taylor, Thomas, and all the rest are not getting younger, and they'll be gone in a couple of years. We could probably stand to draft an offensive lineman in the first or second rounds, but I'm hesitant to jump on board that bandwagon because this line has suffered injuries abound. I'd also like to see us get a new kicker on the second day, because Mare is done.

We draft someone in the secondary for our 1st pick. Then in 08 we draft JAMES LAURENITIS!

Majpain said:
We draft someone in the secondary for our 1st pick. Then in 08 we draft JAMES LAURENITIS!

If we go secondary, we definitely gotta look towards Landry for a safety.

I hope that Antoine Cason comes out...I think that kids going to be something really good.

Al Davis is locked on Walters, Raiders arent gonna get quinn.

And with the way culpepper was playing, he's not the future. Culpepper averaged over 5 sacks a game, and with the same Oline, Harrington is averaging 0.5 sacks a game. Thats 10 times more sacks a game! WTF! Culpepper just cant read defenses very well.

Last year when Alex Smith was a rookie, he constantly got sacked, threw plenty of picks, was pressured all the time. Well in his second year, with basically the same offense (Davis is injured, so is Jennings and Allen), worse Wide receivers, He's doing MUCH better. My point is, sometimes its the QB who makes the Oline look bad.
Look at Aaron Brooks, who got sacked so many times in New Orleans, he had 30+ sacked for 5 years in a row there, and now Brees is averaging 1 sack per game, the difference in the O-line...basically they got rid of Bentley and got McNeil. Which isnt a whole lot.

maddendude said:
Al Davis is locked on Walters, Raiders arent gonna get quinn.

And with the way culpepper was playing, he's not the future. Culpepper averaged over 5 sacks a game, and with the same Oline, Harrington is averaging 0.5 sacks a game. Thats 10 times more sacks a game! WTF! Culpepper just cant read defenses very well.

Last year when Alex Smith was a rookie, he constantly got sacked, threw plenty of picks, was pressured all the time. Well in his second year, with basically the same offense (Davis is injured, so is Jennings and Allen), worse Wide receivers, He's doing MUCH better. My point is, sometimes its the QB who makes the Oline look bad.
Look at Aaron Brooks, who got sacked so many times in New Orleans, he had 30+ sacked for 5 years in a row there, and now Brees is averaging 1 sack per game, the difference in the O-line...basically they got rid of Bentley and got McNeil. Which isnt a whole lot.

Great post.

maddendude said:

Do you watch games, or look at stats? The argument has done to death, but Culpepper wasn't getting sacked because his reads sucked. A healthy Culpepper is our future at QB, period. The only way we'll draft a QB is if Culpepper or Harrington die in freak accidents.

Majpain said:

I'm not sure if using our first-round pick on the secondary for two years straight is the right way to go, but we definitely could use defensive draft picks.

Majpain said:

Based on the title I expected your post to be a little different :wink:

I watch the games that are on TV. I think there were 2 on national TV this year. The first game for sure, dont remember the second one. For the rest I just watch yahoo gametracker. :(

You say CUlpepper is our leader, well we cant just blindly hand him the starting spot if we dont even know he's good enough to lead the team. He wasnt that great without moss either. But I also think he should be given a second chance when he's fully healed, but if it turns out that he's the same, we're EXACTLY where we were 2-3 years ago, good team but no QB.
Culpepper is a gamble, and thats why i think we need some gambling insurance.

I'm trying to think of examples...
like the Chargers getting Rivers, and Brees turns out to be a pro-bowler. Well eventually the guy with more potential is in.

or Like plummer, he was so good last season, he had 1 bad game in the playoffs, and they draft Cutler. They see that cutler has more potential, so eventually he'll be in. And it turns out that that was a great decision, cuz Plummer looks like he was just a one hit wonder.

Basically, everyone is trying to find the next Dan Marino. Or the next Brady...but I dont think we have any Brady type of players on our team, maybee Lemon? Hows lemon? Bruce Gradowski is a brady IMO.

Let me see if I get this straight. Within the last year, we've used three draft picks to acquire quarterbacks and you want to use our top pick next year on another? Have you seen L.J. Shelton or Damion McIntosh attempt to play left tackle? :fatman:

maddendude said:
I watch the games that are on TV. I think there were 2 on national TV this year. The first game for sure, dont remember the second one. For the rest I just watch yahoo gametracker. :(

You say CUlpepper is our leader, well we cant just blindly hand him the starting spot if we dont even know he's good enough to lead the team. He wasnt that great without moss either. But I also think he should be given a second chance when he's fully healed, but if it turns out that he's the same, we're EXACTLY where we were 2-3 years ago, good team but no QB.
Culpepper is a gamble, and thats why i think we need some gambling insurance.

I'm trying to think of examples...
like the Chargers getting Rivers, and Brees turns out to be a pro-bowler. Well eventually the guy with more potential is in.

or Like plummer, he was so good last season, he had 1 bad game in the playoffs, and they draft Cutler. They see that cutler has more potential, so eventually he'll be in. And it turns out that that was a great decision, cuz Plummer looks like he was just a one hit wonder.

Basically, everyone is trying to find the next Dan Marino. Or the next Brady...but I dont think we have any Brady type of players on our team, maybee Lemon? Hows lemon? Bruce Gradowski is a brady IMO.

I agree 100%. Culpepper is like Kordell Stuart. When he only has to do minimal things (Throw the deep ball and run for the first down) he looks good. When you ask him to make reads and do other things out of the relm of simplicity he sucks. Think about it this way...

Kordell(2001)- Has a pro bowl year makes it to the AFC Championship and throws the int to give the win to the Pats.(2002) The Steelers are sucking at the beginning of the season and he gets benched in favor of Tommy Maddox who leads the team to a close loss in the AFC Divisional against the Titans(29-28 I think). Where is Kordell now who knows?

Dante-(2004) Has his best season as a pro throwing for 39 TD passes and 11 ints. Even though Moss is not in most of the plays defenses still have to respect him.(2005) Moss gets traded and the team is now Dantes. He has to do more for the offense without Randy Moss and he throws a surprising 6-12 ratio of Ints-TDs. Culpepper gets hurt and Brad Johson comes in to lead the same exact team to 9-7. The Vikins are now 3-2 WITHOUT Culpepper.

Who knows if Dante is going to turn it around for us at this point? There is no gurentee that he's going to do so and with a risk like that why would you not draft a QB? Worked out for San Diego didn't it? As much as i hope he does turn it around i just don't know if he can. We don't have to pick a QB in the firs but i would strongly consider it.

Im going to cry if we draft Quinn.....basically he is Joey Harrington. Sytem QB with a lot more hype than actual production....why do we need a rookie Harrington when we have a veteran one?

Calvin Johnson is my man

Alex44 said:
Im going to cry if we draft Quinn.....basically he is Joey Harrington. Sytem QB with a lot more hype than actual production....why do we need a rookie Harrington when we have a veteran one?

Calvin Johnson is my man

I would trade Chambers to go up and get him. Unlike Chambers this guy can actually catch the football when it's thrown to him. He's the got size and speed to be a legit #1 receiver.

PhinFan0202 said:
I would trade Chambers to go up and get him. Unlike Chambers this guy can actually catch the football when it's thrown to him. He's the got size and speed to be a legit #1 receiver.

The first time I saw Johnson was vs Miami his first season playing, I thought he was a senior before they showed his info, he was that good.

Joe Thomas is also a great pick if we go O-line

Back
Top Bottom