Would B. Graham be WOLB or SOLB? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would B. Graham be WOLB or SOLB?

cobbs321

Practice Squad
Reaction score
just a quick question, if we take Brandon Graham would he play SOLB or WOLB. I know that Jerry Hughes would be a WOLB.

Perfect for the strong side, though he is one of those guys who you can put on either side and he would be successful. His skill set and athletic ability suggests the strong side tho and I'm pretty sure that is what he would play if Miami drafted him.

Outside of FS, a strong side OLB is the second biggest need on defense, followed by NT.

I think he could play either side. Good enough speed and pass rushing ability for the weakside. Strong enough against the run to play the strong side. Very versatile guy. But like Lamarr Woodley -- to whom Graham is often compared and who played the same position as Graham in Michigan's defense -- I think he fits best as the SOLB.

Yeah is solid against the run and is a beast pass rusher. He would play at our SOLB spot. He could easily play at the WOLB though. Also DE in the 4-3.

This is another reason I think he will be drafted by us, he is a very versatile player. Like someone mentioned, similiar to Lmarr Woodley.

SOLB, if we draft a WOLB with the 1st pick I will be pissed especially if its the overrated all Hype machine JPP.
Chubbs

It's a good debate. Considering he's such a relentless, though unpolished pass rusher I'm tempted to put him on the weak side and tell him to just go get the QB about 75% of the time. If he's on the strong side he has to be in coverage half the time.

I think he can play both and so it depends on who else you have. If Cameron Wake looks like he can take WOLB duties full time, and he looks like a terror as a pass rusher, you can put Brandon Graham at SOLB. If you don't have a guy you trust to get pressure on the passer, then you really need to throw Graham at WOLB because above all you need to make sure the heat is on.

It's a good debate. Considering he's such a relentless, though unpolished pass rusher I'm tempted to put him on the weak side and tell him to just go get the QB about 75% of the time. If he's on the strong side he has to be in coverage half the time.

I think he can play both and so it depends on who else you have. If Cameron Wake looks like he can take WOLB duties full time, and he looks like a terror as a pass rusher, you can put Brandon Graham at SOLB. If you don't have a guy you trust to get pressure on the passer, then you really need to throw Graham at WOLB because above all you need to make sure the heat is on.

Depends a lot on Wake, but if there's a strong possibility we put Graham at WOLB, wouldn't it be more prudent to draft J. Hughes?

Depends a lot on Wake, but if there's a strong possibility we put Graham at WOLB, wouldn't it be more prudent to draft J. Hughes?

No way, we NEED a SOLB, that is what Brandon Graham is meant to be, sure he could easily play WOLB, but Cam Wake proved himself last year.(Even though he had many doubters on this site saying he wouldnt even make the roster) You bring in a young guy to play opp. of Wake and then you have a beast OLB combo.

No way, we NEED a SOLB, that is what Brandon Graham is meant to be, sure he could easily play WOLB, but Cam Wake proved himself last year.(Even though he had many doubters on this site saying he wouldnt even make the roster) You bring in a young guy to play opp. of Wake and then you have a beast OLB combo.

I agree for the most part. But, if we're drafting someone, thinking they'll likely be a WOLB, I'd go for Hughes over Graham. I have posts in '09 hyping Graham as a great fit for the Dolphins at SOLB - posted a write up on another board comparing Kindle, Sapp, Hughes, and Graham, and it concluded that Graham would be the best fit.

No. First off Graham is the better football player. Secondly, I think you want to build in a high ceiling for your selection. Taking a guy you really don't think could play SOLB and pairing him with a guy you really don't think could play SOLB means you're setting yourself up so that if both guys pan out, one still has to sit the bench. That would be tough for me to pull the trigger on.

I agree for the most part. But, if we're drafting someone, thinking they'll likely be a WOLB, I'd go for Hughes over Graham. I have posts in '09 hyping Graham as a great fit for the Dolphins at SOLB - posted a write up on another board comparing Kindle, Sapp, Hughes, and Graham, and it concluded that Graham would be the best fit.

Yeah I just dont see us drafting a WOLB with the way Wake played last year. Especially if Jason Taylor can come in and play on the weakside with Wake.

I think he could play either, and being we are no where near guaranteed Wake is for real and an everydown guy I think we really have to double up on OLBs, preferably guys who could play either side (Morgan, Graham, Griffen, Worilds, Cunningham) or your choice of the former plus a complementary guy (Hughes, Sapp, Misi, Gibson, Moats, Hart) in that order.

Remember we doubled up in CBs even when we already had Will Allen, and we still gave him a large contract even though we we had drafted them.

I mean look at QB, OL, WR (albeit the lack of a #1), DE, CB, it's obvious we have a hard on for insane depth. And watch out as we may overkill at ILB as well. And even if we only got a mid-late round NT, with Soliai and Fergie resigned that's also some pretty good depth.

if we get him, Nolan will have some fun with these linebackers in his schemes. Nolan will be moving these guys around to create mismatches up front.

Graham, Dansby, and Wake will keep offensive lines up and aWake at night.

Back
Top Bottom