Would you take a 70% winning record??Here's how... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would you take a 70% winning record??Here's how...

miamiron

Active Roster
Reaction score
In 2008,Sparano and co. first season with the Dolphins
When we ran the ball 25 times or more in a game our record was
a perfect 10-0

In 2009 our running game we ran 25 times or more 13 times but
only managed 6 victories...giving us a 16-7 record on games 25 rushes or more

In 2010 we have managed 2 wins on games we ran 25 times or more
or a 18-7 record since Sparano has been here when we get those 25 rushes in a game

A 72% win record

Run the ball Henning just not 25 times in a row
and not on 3rd and 12

Context is important. These stats are misleading otherwise.

We ran the ball 25 times a game so often in 2008 because we often had the lead or were in a close game. In 2009, we fell behind often and had to throw the ball, so we naturally ran the ball less. Perhaps the number of times we ran is not the reason we won/lost, but a product of the game being a win/loss...?

just ask the nfl for the weakest schedule in nfl history again and we can do what ever we want.

It's not quite that black and white... but it's getting warmer...

The number of rushing attempts has NOTHING to do with the outcome of the game.... it's merely a by-product of the more critical factor in determing what the outcome of the game will be..

Which was the fact that Miami was doing what you need to do in order to win the football game... control the line of scrimmage.

Rushing attempts are irrelevant if you're not controlling the line of scrimmage... you can run the ball 70 times, but you're not going to win unless you're controlling the line of scrimmage.

You can run it 15 times and still win the game as long as you're... what?

That's right... controlling the line of scrimmage...

This offense is built to function by... controlling the line of scrimmage.. When they do, they'll be successful..

Problem is, they're not good enough at the quarterback position to overcome it and win games when plan A fails... which is going to happen a lot of times against good teams...

That's the problem,, where just not controlling the line of scrimmage..where just not executing with consistency in the run or in the pass

agreed. I thought to myself while melting down in my recliner monday night why the hell are we not running the ball more?????????

Its too obvious to me. But I guess all the unhappy people who didnt like us as a boring team would rather us pass all day. "Three things can happen when you pass the ball and two of them are not good"

The light bulb has not gone on yet for Henne because he needs to see how a defense changes up on him like Ninkovich became a roving LB and safeties coming up.

it takes time for a QB to get like Manning. It took 7 years for the lightbulb to truly go on for him to the point where he controls the whole game and dictates it to the other side.

Sidenote: losing 14 points on special teams doesnt do your QB any favors except making yourself look like superman when you come back from such defecits like Marino.

Most teams in the league will have a similar winning percentage when running the ball 25 times or more. Teams with a lead run more. Teams behind throw more.

Miami wasn't going to beat the Jets or the Pats this year just by getting their rushing totals up. Conversely, both of those teams were able to rush the ball over 25 times on Miami because they got themselves out in front. Rushing 25 times or more is more a side effect of winning rather than winning being a side effect of rushing 25 or more times.

Back
Top Bottom