"WR Days Numbered"

RUDEbyallMEANS

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
Burress case understandable, but his days here likely numbered

By Guy Junker
FOR THE TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, May 10, 2004

Professional sports has always been a business, but it's never been as big a business as it is today. I still love to watch what goes on between the lines, but I grow weary of nearly every story having dollar figures in it somewhere.
However, when Plaxico Burress didn't show up for Steelers minicamp Friday, it provided some welcome bite for what is usually a walk-through-in-shorts for players and reporters alike.

My immediate reaction was one of disgust, considering that I believe the guy doesn't get the most out of his talent.

Burress was full of issues at Michigan State, and that hasn't changed since he turned pro. That's the reason the Steelers aren't sure they want him around after this year. They are using the Craig Patrick strategy -- the belief that players have their best seasons when they are playing for a new deal. Still, if Burress has a great year, they might not want to spend what it would cost to keep him.

Upon further review, though, I've changed my stance. Burress is using his only means available to make his statement. Contracts aren't worth the paper they are printed on in pro sports these days. NFL teams don't honor them when the players no longer are useful to them, so why should players follow all of the crossed t's and dotted i's?

We can't really identify with people who make the kind of money professional athletes do, but the issues between management and labor are basically the same at any level, and most of us would side with our union brothers or workers in other walks of life in contract disputes.

If I sign a contract or give my word on something, I will live up to my end of the bargain regardless. It's the way I was raised. But it's not the way it works in professional sports. And while I disagree with the way Burress has handled this, I understand why the situation exists.

It's also better for him to make a stand now during a fairly meaningless minicamp than it would be during a fairly meaningful training camp at St. Vincent College. It's just that if Burress really wanted to remain a Steeler as he says, he probably blew his chances this weekend.

Will Rick pull the trigger on Burress if he hits the market??

Why not add 2 "rebels" at WR??

Because in most scenarios, it would be a tragic waste of cap space.

Odds are, Burress will be trade bait, not June 1st.

And even if he is a June 1st cut, we've got bigger needs. If we've got the cap space, and have signed something pretty good, fine. But a 3rd good WR is not as nessicary as more veteran O-linemen and better depth at DT.

I'm keeping my eye on Oakland. They've got a STACKED line, and It looks like they are going to cut someone starter quality.

LT- Gallery is expected to start. That displaces Sims, a good LT.
LG- Sims is at LG on the Ourlads chart, displacing Frank Middleton, an excellent starter.
C- Barrett Robins has some serious knee issues, but he's been replaced(Maybe not immediately) by Jake Grove.
RG- They signed Ron Stone. This deplaced Mo Collins.
RT- Langston Walker is the susposed starter here. Not Lincoln Kennedy(Who may be retiring).

That's 5 different starting quality linemen that have been displaced. Any one of those guys would be useful to us. Sims and Kennedy can both play RT. Middleton, Robins, and Collins all would make fine RGs.

I don't think Burress is going anywhere. Even if he is a June 1 cut (highly unlikely), he wouldn't likely come here, not when he'd have to compete with Chambers and Boston for a starting job.

Speaking of cuts. The Viking cut Henri Crockett. I know he is not great but he could add some vet backup presence in our linebacking corps. Which I think is our weakest link on defense. Any thoughts guys?

Another team with a lot of OL depth is Tampa Bay. Like us, they have four new starters on their OL. Roman Oben, Kerry Jenkins, Jason Whittle, Cosey Coleman, and Kenyatta Walker currently sit on their bench.

Then again, their OL sucked last year.

Muck said:
Another team with a lot of OL depth is Tampa Bay. Like us, they have four new starters on their OL. Roman Oben, Kerry Jenkins, Jason Whittle, Cosey Coleman, and Kenyatta Walker currently sit on their bench.

Then again, their OL sucked last year.

I wouldn't be surprised if we try and get Walker fo=rom TB. Yesterday as I was trying to find info on our new OC, I came across a quote of him praising Walker coming out of College say he is a can't-miss guy, blah, blah, blah. Don't know what his cap number is or what the cap ramifications would be, but it wouldn't surprise me if they take a run at him. Provided of course, he has fallen out of favor in TB.

I agree. The one good think about having this OC is that he has been around and should have an informed opinion on at least a few guys who will be getting cut June 1. MC didn't have that because he has been here for so long.

I've heard trade talk about Walker before.

Hopefully he could do summit at RG, but he is a pure RT isnt he?

I'd give up some stuff for Burress, are you guys crazy, our O-line is set, we have so many O-Lineman, go down to mini camp, they take up half the field and half the roster. It might not be the best O-line, but we have so many O-lineman. And if we were so concerned about our D-Line, which I mentioned prior draft, why did we pass on arguably the best DT in the draft, because the dude was much better then Carey forgetting about position. Burress probably isn't going anywhere, but if he was, you have to get him.

Phinsdude said:
I'd give up some stuff for Burress, are you guys crazy, our O-line is set, we have so many O-Lineman, go down to mini camp, they take up half the field and half the roster. It might not be the best O-line, but we have so many O-lineman. And if we were so concerned about our D-Line, which I mentioned prior draft, why did we pass on arguably the best DT in the draft, because the dude was much better then Carey forgetting about position. Burress probably isn't going anywhere, but if he was, you have to get him.
I have a bunch of crap in my garage too. It doesn't mean it's any good. We have come a long way with the O-line so far, but after June 1 I bet there will a couple guys who could round out the transformation nicely.
I am not as worried about the D-line as some are. Once OGun stops with the hissy fit and signs the D-line will be fine.
And BTW I am not to sure about Burress, It would have to a bargain basemant price for me to feel comfortable about taking a chance on him

If a guy like Burress hits the market, he isn't going to sign here. The only chance of him playing here would involve a super-cheap trade that is designed primarily to keep him out of Baltimore.

I don't think we need another guy on the OL, but I certainly do hope we find another decent DT. Tim's weight and Larry's shoulder really have me spooked. I don't want to see the team have to play with JZ and the youngster some people here seem high on. We have Corey Dillon to stop, and you know how psyched he gets for division games...

Good point about T-Bow, I keep hoing that the weight will come around. but if it doesn't we could be in trouble. The only reason I say we need another O-Lineman is because I don't like the idea of St.Clair as a starter. Hopefully I am wrong about him.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not opposed to signing another lineman and using St.Clair as a backup just as long as all other positions are solid and it doesn't endanger the team's ability to give the necessary players long term deals. If that doesn't happen, I'm okay with either St.Clair or somebody who beats him out in camp. We don't have to have 5 stud linemen -- we just need two very good ones and three decent ones. I think James is very good, so that means we just need VC or WS to step up.

Back
Top Bottom