WR Ramses Barden, Cal Poly | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WR Ramses Barden, Cal Poly

Valandui

Lumberjack Batman
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you guys know anything about this guy or what you think of him. He is 6'6", 227lbs and runs a 4.6 40 yard. Just from size alone he seems like a potential late round pick that has Bill Parcells written all over him. What do you guys think?

he just might be a small school prospect to take a look at in later rds....here's just a lil bit of what he did last year...granted,it's against a couple of small schools,but still....
Barden is obviously very big, strong and athletic and while he consistently displays the ability to separate from defenders, he is not a rocket. His speed is projected to be around 4.55 to 4.60 in the 40 yard dash. Barden does however get the job done on the football field, in fact he can completely take over games at times, just ask Weber State and Idaho State. On September 15th 2007 he destroyed Weber State catching 9 passes for 219 yards and 4 TDs, and the next month (Oct 27th) against Idaho State, he embarrassed the Bengals catching 10 passes for 268 and 3 TDs. He completely dominated those games and caught the attention of NFL Scouts.
Last season (2007) Barden, led the Great West in receiving yards (1,467) receiving TDs (18) and yards per catch (25.7) in earning first-team all-league honors for the third straight season. He was named the co-Offensive Player of the Year in the Great West in 2007 and was named to his third all-Great West first game. Barden has been added to the Walter Payton Award watch two years in a row and is a 1st team 2008 pre-season division 1AA (FCS) All American.

Here is one scouting report that I found on this guy that I found somewhat interesting.
A big receiver who knows how to use his body, Barden is more quick than fast (4.55). But, Barden has a knack for getting open behind defenders, being able to gain yards after the catch. He is a physical wide out who is not afraid to block. However, he is not a fluid athlete, his route running needs much work and he needs to control his weight. He has become "lazy" on the field, so his level of competition is a major concern as are his suspect hands.
Barden is somewhat viewed as a sleeper. He does have some good traits, but he is far from a finished product. He needs better conditioning and his route running needs tons of work. Barden will also drop some balls, which is always a concern. Some Draft boards have Barden going on the first day, but I think he is a reach even in the fifth round.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=1728

clear.gif
Ramses Barden, Cal Poly-SLO
Height: 6-6. Weight: 226.
Projected 40 Time: 4.55.
Projected Round (2009): 4-5.

10/19/08: The only Mustang of note, Ramses Barden has at least 131 yards and a touchdown in every game this season.

5/22/08: And I thought a 42-catch, 824-yard campaign was impressive. Ramses Barden smashed his 2006 numbers, collecting 57 receptions, 1,467 yards and 18 touchdowns last year. I don't care where you play - that's downright impressive.

2007: Ramses Barden's 6-6 frame may get him drafted, but unless he gets quicker, he'll have trouble getting separation in the NFL. Produced at 1-AA, accumulating 824 yards last year and 14 touchdowns the past two seasons.

might be an option

I saw a college football special on him.....sounds like a guy with a lot of upside even if he went to a small school. I think John Madden went to school here and he had a lot of good things to say about Barden.

NFL Draft Dog has us taking him in the 2nd round:

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/Mock_Drafts/2009_mock_nfl_draft_2nd_round.htm

We have two 2nd round picks in 2009, so I would love grabbing this WR.

I agree with Roman529, I think its going to take a 2nd or 3rd rd pick to grab this guy. I think 4th rd at the latest. I do hope we get him, we need a big receiver for 3rd downs, and this is the only guy that fits the bill and has shown production in college.

Back
Top Bottom