X's and O's on Max Protect | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

X's and O's on Max Protect

So Be

Club Member
Reaction score
I was listening to Gruden and Denver's Del Rio this morning saying that max protect gets your QB hit more instead of less. They said that bringing in a third OT or keeping the TE in along with the RB to block, with 3 receivers running routes, may give the QB a bit more time. The problem is having 3 WR's trying to get open vs 6 or 7 in coverage, and the TE and RB holding their blocks long enough for the QB to get the ball off.

It makes sense. Has anyone noticed the same when the Phins go into max protect? We might be an exception because of our OL.

You have to protect the QB first and if that means Max Pro so be it. However, what is tough is there are simply fewer receivers in the pattern and DB's can sit on patterns. However, still, you need to protect the QB first.

You have to protect the QB first and if that means Max Pro so be it. However, what is tough is there are simply fewer receivers in the pattern and DB's can sit on patterns. However, still, you need to protect the QB first.

I always thought the same but, am now having second thoughts. If you have 3 WR's vs a 7 man zone, they're gnnna have a hell of a time finding an opening before breaks free of the blocking.

I'm gonna go back and watch a couple of games to see how it has worked out for us.

I always thought the same but, am now having second thoughts. If you have 3 WR's vs a 7 man zone, they're gnnna have a hell of a time finding an opening before breaks free of the blocking.

I'm gonna go back and watch a couple of games to see how it has worked out for us.

I think you max pro when they bring more than 4...if you have to max pro and they are bringing 4....long day.

I think you max pro when they bring more than 4...if you have to max pro and they are bringing 4....long day.

The 7 man zone was brought up by Gruden as a big problem on max protect. Jeff Saturday also agreed that it's easier to protect the QB without it, and better to have the TE chip a defender before going out. This all started by Denver saying that they would not use it to protect Peyton vs KC.

With today's D's, you seldom know how many are coming or dropping.

You really have to rely on timing patterns for this to work. The QB has to throw before the receiver makes his break. This gives the DBs very little time to react.

I'd sure rather have a hot read and a quarterback who knew when and how to hit it.

Back
Top Bottom