Zach Thomas gave up on a play? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zach Thomas gave up on a play?

Saban2005 said:
1. Yes it is hard, but is that any reason to give up?
2. nobody is saying he gave up the pass, it was the secondary who gave it up, but he clearly was not giving it his all.
3. you say he plays hard every play, see thread topic.

When you know you are beat and have NO chance of catching the reciever your allowed to pull up. He should have had help from the secondary. Its not a matter of giving up its a matter of saving yourself for the next play and the play after that. Running that hard takes alot out of a person, even a well conditioned NFL player. I would rather have him fresh for the next play and not standing in the huddle with his hands on his knees out of breath because he tried to catch a guy that was uncatchable. Then because he is gassed he misses a tackle on the next play. And he did play hard that play but had to back up into coverage and got beat. It happens with mismatches. I just can't believe anyone would question of all people ZACH THOMAS.

Saban2005 said:
maybe this has been posted, but did anyone else see zach thomas not running hard and giving up on a play? There was a decent pass up the sideline, the camera pulled back and showed zach "running" after the guy with the ball(either TE or WR), the recevier cuts back and zach all of a sudden thinks realizes he can still make a play and starts running hard after the guy. I thought I would never see this day, but I have and will never forget it.

It was a messed up zone coverage, if you watch the play, he is coming up for the blitz, then he looks and realizes that the other LB did not slide over to his coverage area, that's when he started running back, to cover for someone else (I think it was Spragen)

finfanoh said:
When you know you are beat and have NO chance of catching the reciever your allowed to pull up. He should have had help from the secondary. Its not a matter of giving up its a matter of saving yourself for the next play and the play after that. Running that hard takes alot out of a person, even a well conditioned NFL player. I would rather have him fresh for the next play and not standing in the huddle with his hands on his knees out of breath because he tried to catch a guy that was uncatchable. Then because he is gassed he misses a tackle on the next play. And he did play hard that play but had to back up into coverage and got beat. It happens with mismatches. I just can't believe anyone would question of all people ZACH THOMAS.

What if the receiver fumbles?
What if he cuts back, like he did on that play?
Are you saying its up to every players discretion on when he should finish or coast during play?

and again zach was not beat on that play, the pass was not his responsibility, what zach did was give up and not give his all to help out... any thing can happen on any play you can't stop playing for any reason until the whistle blows. ANYONE THAT SAYS ANY DIFFERENT HAS ISSUES.

Saban2005 said:
What if the receiver fumbles?
What if he cuts back, like he did on that play?
Are you saying its up to every players discretion on when he should finish or coast during play?

and again zach was not beat on that play, the pass was not his responsibility, what zach did was give up and not give his all to help out... any thing can happen on any play you can't stop playing for any reason until the whistle blows. ANYONE THAT SAYS ANY DIFFERENT HAS ISSUES.

WHAT IF! WHAT IF! HE tried to make a play, he tried to finish the play but the play got by him. If the reciever fumbles there will always be more Dophins around the ball than Titans so our chances are much better of recovering the hypothetical Fumble. Maybe Saban should just cut the bum and be done with his heartless ***. Are you kidding me. We have many more issues with this team right now than whether Zach pulled up on one play he had no chance of making. Like maybe Mularkys conservative play calling or the O-line (or lack there of) or the pourous secondary. Or Dante's bad decisions and fumbling.

Sal Lisitano said:
i saw this...i was going to post it.

yeah he gave up on that play...he was jogging...i hope that nick sees this and lets him have it.

z.t. imo has been awful this season. he can't blitz at all when they send him...and he looks slow.

go fins!!!

I can't agree more, in addition to offensive lineman it is my guess that based on the system capers and saban are trying to run, Zach doesn't fit, we need new young lb's, nothing against Zach, he's been unreal but I think he, and Donnie Spragan who also looks so freaking slow on his blitzes are going to be gone soon. Yes I said it bring it on finheaven.

Spragan's blitz vs buffalo last week which by the way was on the play that resulted in the PI , Spragan looked slow, then they send him again yesterday, and he looked really slow and he can't get around the rb.

Our defensive line doesn't appear to be putting the pressure on the QB like we did last year at the end of the season, which I thought was critcial for the begining of this season with a whole new secondary.

we might start thinking about sending more db's and less lb's and why don't we try sending Channing, he's probably the fastest of the bunch!

Zach Thomas isn't having a good season?

2006 Season: 26 Tackles (16 Solo 10 Ast 0 Sacks) 1 INT 4 Passes defensed
2005 Season (after 3 games):41 Tackles ( 26 Solo 15 Ast 1 Sacks) 0 INT 1 PD 1 FF

The 04 and 03 Seasons he had 36 and 31 respectively. So he is on his worst pace as far as tackles in a while, but he's putting up his best pass defense numbers in a while as well.

I love Zach Thomas. It does look like he has lost a bit of his step, but that's not what is affecting him. And, since when has Zach Thomas been known as a "speed guy"...Never. He's being used alot differently this year than he ever has in his career. He's playing in alot of 3-4 base defenses. He's playing alot in Nickel and Dime sets (3rd downs and special defenses). Also, he's blitzing alot. He's doing alot of the things Seau used to do last year, which was just blitz right up the middle. He does this on running situations and passing situations...alot. Zach Thomas is still playing at a very high level.

As far as Zach giving up on a play. If he did, I promise you it's not the first time. It's not the first time for any player. Every player has given up on some play, at some point of his career. I promise. It happens. They're humans too. Sometimes the human emotion gets the best of us, and takes our concentration away from certain things. It's no different with them. I just don't see why this is such a big deal. The Dolphin fan base is so fickle it's scary. Attendance is a perfect example.

fin1 said:
I swear you people have taken this idiocy to a new level. Zach Thomas is the least of the problems we have on this team. We have no continuity on our offensive line. We have no cohesiveness in our secondary. Our "first rounder" has yet to earn a paycheck and yet we still only give up 10 points. If not for Willie Mays catch that the third stringer makes then they only give up three. I will take or defense giving up only 10 points all year. (that would equal the 85 bears and 02 ravens) Cpep looks like hes given up on every snap. Quit expecting Zach to play the free or strong safety position and rip the people that deserve it.

that's unnecessary bro..he has a point, Zach did quit on that play, and then put himself back in it. The topic wasn't the "rest" of the problems, or any kind of a slight of the defense, it was SHOCK that Zach Thomas quit on a play.

Back
Top Bottom