Zero percent chance we draft Cordarelle Patterson | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zero percent chance we draft Cordarelle Patterson

Well, the topic did turn to "mamas" and stuff. As, uhm, stupid as a discussion as it already was.

Your post had nothing to do with "mamas", or Cordarrelle Patterson, or football, or the draft, or intelligence, or anything else that's been mentioned. It's not hard to stay on topic.

Your post had nothing to do with "mamas", or Cordarrelle Patterson, or football, or the draft, or intelligence, or anything else that's been mentioned. It's not hard to stay on topic.

Actually, my post did mention "mamas". So it, uhm, did have something to do with "mamas". You could have just said that blatant sarcasm, or general a-holery isn't welcome. Would have saved you a post or so.

Actually, my post did mention "mamas". So it, uhm, did have something to do with "mamas". You could have just said that blatant sarcasm, or general a-holery isn't welcome. Would have saved you a post or so.

Your post was not only irrelevant to the discussion, but on the inflammatory side. You could have stayed on topic and saved me a post or two.

I'd appreciate it if you made your next one relevant to the thread because we're going to end this particular discussion here.

Your post was not only irrelevant to the discussion, but on the inflammatory side. You could have stayed on topic and saved me a post or two.

I'd appreciate it if you made your next one relevant to the thread because we're going to end this particular discussion here.

Meh, if you seriously didn't understand the point (and by extension, the relevancy), then I cannot help you. And it's not worth the effort to try (Internet ain't serious business).

That said, back on (another) topic:

There are many 'lack of book smart' guys (and many who are just downright dumb) who are great football players. Julius Peppers is a pretty good example (if anybody reviewed his leaked UNC transcript) as somebody who obviously didn't 1.) apply himself in school, 2.) study, 3.) take anything serious other than football. Worked out pretty well for him. In the football world, athleticism trumps Jeopardy-like knowledge unless you're recruiting at Harvard, Princeton, Stanford (if Richard Marshall is any indication, may not be as stringent as one would think), etc.

I like smart kids, but the notion is true that there are people out there too damn smart for their own good. They overcomplicate and overthink things. Sometimes being 'the smartest one' can also be the weakest 'asset' of a person.

And although Slimm could have made his point in one sentence, I do agree with the general stance that Patterson referring to his nine-month incubator as 'mama' has no bearing on his ability to play or understand the game of football.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a 47 year old mechanical planner for a nuclear contractor with an MBS and a former high school football coach, and I still call her "mama". Most everybody I know refers to their mother the same. If you grew up in the south and are part of the culture, you wouldn't think of addressing her as anything else. Doesn't matter if you're an author, actor, musician, or football player.

What do you think Julio Jones and A.J. Green call their mother? They call her mama...

Now, if the first thing that pops into his mind when he's handed his walking papers is to call his grandma like Vontae Davis, at that point you may have some maturity and/or intelligence issues.

Anyone with a college education has been required to take part in the basic fields of sociology/psychology, where they would've learned about Gardner's Theory of Multiple Intelligence. Also, the roles that culture and socioeconomics has on an individual's habits and lifestyle.

Most of the best authors that have ever lived came from poverty in the delta country of Mississippi. You don't judge an individuals intelligence by their culture. That essentially displays a lack of intelligence. There's a lot of people in prison that are more intelligent than most of us will ever be.

Slimm, you a blues fan?

I think if Patterson is there with pick 12 it will come down to whether he did well in white board sessions with the coaching staff during his private workout.

I think it comes down more to whether we resign Jake Long or not. Martin can't play LT, and if we don't resign Jake we'll almost be forced to take whichever of Joeckel, Fisher or Johnson is available to fill the LT void. If we have a LT solution, then I'd imagine it comes down to whether Ireland feels he has a top pass rusher prospect available or not. If not, we try to trade down, but if no good deal exists, THEN we look at a WR, and probably draft Patterson. That's a pretty long flow chart to get to Patterson, if he's even available. So, I'm not guessing he ends up in Miami, but if he does, I'll be happy about the pick. :)

So, something like ...
1. If we resign Jake Long, goto 3, if no Jake Long, then goto 2
2. Draft left tackle prospects Joeckel, Fisher or Johnson and end first round analysis
3. Draft elite pass rusher and end first round analysis, if none available, goto 4
4. Trade down if good deal available, if not go to 5
5. Draft WR

Not a pretty decision tree, but that's how it looks to me.

I think it comes down more to whether we resign Jake Long or not. Martin can't play LT, and if we don't resign Jake we'll almost be forced to take whichever of Joeckel, Fisher or Johnson is available to fill the LT void. If we have a LT solution, then I'd imagine it comes down to whether Ireland feels he has a top pass rusher prospect available or not. If not, we try to trade down, but if no good deal exists, THEN we look at a WR, and probably draft Patterson. That's a pretty long flow chart to get to Patterson, if he's even available. So, I'm not guessing he ends up in Miami, but if he does, I'll be happy about the pick. :)

Nope. Tackle will come via free agency.

We aren't drafting Patterson much like i vowed to never return to the Finheaven site should have the brass sacked Cam Wake in spring training a ways back -> I am just as certain Ireland won't seal his fate on his hope for a ST ace. I don't like Ireland I don't dislike him - he is smarter than we give him credit
Ireland saw this act unfold with CAMRAM and Ted Ginn Jr - the organization can ill afford to screw up picks -> note how safe Ireland's picks have been 'cept Tannehill who was a "sexy" pick -> the right pick
I know we will be getting WR help for Tannehill even if we vastly overpay whether by trade or gargantuan salary and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him double up on WR in the first three rds if we don't sacrifice a bag of our picks to move up -> it could very well happen

Patterson does have question marks -> or he would be listed top 5 especially in a draft that lacks top end offense off the shelf play-makers and lets not forget that we can bet no GM who has 1 year left to make the POs will hitch his wagon to him -> the Jets could but the new GM will get a year or two grace -> Ireland is not in that position

Patterson may pan out alright but why would a team want to wait 2-3 years to see impact?

Keenan Allen has fallen off the charts for the simple reason his wares could not be pimped by the NFL Network -> frankly not the worst thing that could happen for the dolphins maybe they can trade down and get both Eifert and a guy like Stedman Bailey or another WR who can work into the fold

And that argument about Patterson's team not feeding him the ball intentionally was down-right hilarious -> when do you ever see a football program not try to feed their best player the rock?

To the first point, I don't think what he calls his mother has any relevance to anything. There are a lot of factors you can use to measure intelligence: IQ, ability to execute tasks under pressure, problem solving - but how you call your mother is not recognized by Mensa as a sufficient test of IQ. The name you refer to your mother by can vary by household, culture, socioeconomic status, or hometown.

I also have stats for all occasions. This occasion is your third point. I don't think I've broken these out here, so let me run down how the average #1 WR gets targeted by his QB:

% Total Targets: 31%
% of Throws that are Misses: 23%

That is to say, on average, for all the wide receivers I've looked at - they receive 31% of all the QB's total throws and 23% of those throws are misses by the QB. Here are Patterson's numbers from my sampling:

% Targets, Patterson: 20%
% Misses, Patterson: 27%

So, Tyler Bray not only threw to Patterson much more infrequently than average, he also missed more than average (second highest amongst QBs that I measured). Contrast that to Justin Hunter, whom Bray targeted 30% of the time and we can see why Patterson had lower numbers and games with few catches. I find it hard to believe that Patterson just wasn't open, the likelihood is that Bray felt more comfortable throwing to Hunter and thus did so more often (he also forced it far more often, missing Hunter 35% of the time). I don't believe that means we should penalize Patterson both for poor QB play and a QB who didn't throw his way much in our evaluations. There are plenty of better points to nitpick with Patterson.

the whole point of me having a proble, with him calling his mom, "mama" is that he is basically doing this during an interview. There is zero reason to refer to your mama in every other paragraph. I guarantee you vontae Davis showed he was every bit as dumb as he is during the interview process, and we saw how that turned out.

As for your stats and comments on bray and Patterson, I agree with a lot of what you said. What I don't agree with is that any of that is an acceptable reason for Patterson having next to no games where he really racked up targets and catches. Were talking about the 12th pick here, he should be dominating the college level. There's clearly more of a reason for lack of catches of catches than bray was just not looking for him.

the whole point of me having a proble, with him calling his mom, "mama" is that he is basically doing this during an interview. There is zero reason to refer to your mama in every other paragraph. I guarantee you vontae Davis showed he was every bit as dumb as he is during the interview process, and we saw how that turned out.

As for your stats and comments on bray and Patterson, I agree with a lot of what you said. What I don't agree with is that any of that is an acceptable reason for Patterson having next to no games where he really racked up targets and catches. Were talking about the 12th pick here, he should be dominating the college level. There's clearly more of a reason for lack of catches of catches than bray was just not looking for him.

I have just read the Armando article you refer to on Patterson. The article highlighted 16 questions which were directed to Patterson at the Combine. He refered to his mother/mama on two separate questions. To me that's not every other paragraph?

Below are the questions and answers where Patterson's mentions his mother.

(On whether JUCO in Hutchinson, Kansas was tough): "Oh, yeah, there were a lot of times I doubted because I had to leave high school and go all the way to Hutchinson in Kansas. I would call my mom every day and ask her if she still thought I needed to do this and she said, ‘Yeah, it’s been your dream for a long time so just make sure you stick with it."

(On possibly going to Carolina): "My mama, she talks about that all the time. If I could be that close to home, I know she’d be at every game possible. When I was little, I used to always think about playing for the Panthers. If that dream comes true, then it comes true."

I think you need to be a bit more accurate in what you put out.

The article in full though you need to scroll down http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth

Last edited by a moderator:
Tedd Ginn averaged 14.4 in college. I don't see why 10 yards per catch is so impressive.

I'll make anyone a sig bet that Stedman Bailey has twice the receptions and more touchdowns than Patterson as a rookie. So if I can get Eifert in the first and Bailey in the second or third I'll take that evey day.

Wow I forgot about this thread!

Completely agree with you bro. I think Stedman Bailey will be the steal of this draft. Give me a guy that produced and was a monster at every level of football over a project any day. Eifert at #12 bailey in the 2nd is what I would do.

Back
Top Bottom