Zim’s Grades For The Game: Bye Week Edition | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Grades For The Game: Bye Week Edition

I have to give him a whole lot of credit for this draft even though I don’t think waddle was worth the investment. I’m giving front office a B solely on the great draft. They still did nothing in FA and couldn’t put together a half decent Oline or coaching staff but what an A+ it looks like this draft can be
:DWN:

Sure. Do you understand value comp of QB to OL and DB?
Sure but when you have 3 firsts because you stripped your team down to the bone and got rid of players like minka and tunsil you can’t afford to completely whiff on those picks.

Nice job Zim, and I agree with most.

The LB/BL is a tough one. It's kind of like "Over the Top" and when Lincoln Hawk turns his hat around and the switch goes on. When they stopped trying to make Phillips a KVN clone and let him line up as a DE both units improved mightily. Baker slid back outside where his best asset (speed) allows him to move more freely. Phillips doesn't need to worry about what area he is supposed to cover anymore.

Since the switch IMO the D Line would get an A and the LB's a B. I would still think the LB's need an upgrade, and man it would be nice to add a player like Cunningham to this unit, get him signed to a LT deal and not have to worry about the LB's in the draft, at least in the top half of the draft.

Thanks for that. I’m going to separate coach and front office. I give coaching an F across the board starting w Floores. I’d give the list of reasons but I’m kind of tired of writing them on every thread. As for Grier, I have been hard on him and deservingly so for the way he has put the team together in the last 3 years and pretty much whiffing on every damn pick outside of Tua which both landed on his lap and the debate on which QB he should’ve drafted, but I have to give him a whole lot of credit for this draft even though I don’t think waddle was worth the investment. I’m giving front office a B solely on the great draft. They still did nothing in FA and couldn’t put together a half decent Oline or coaching staff but what an A+ it looks like this draft can be
Waddle wasn't worth the investment? He's on pace to break the receptions record for a rookie. It's your opinion but what else could he have done to show he was worth the investment?

I see massive improvement from the offensive line from the first month. It is en vogue to trash the line I get it, but if you're still trashing them now you're not paying close attention. In the past month they've decreased the passrush by over 50%, and they've also improved pass protection time by ALMOST a second with the switch to AJ at LG. The line is still statistically poor, but the improvement from all time bad, to where we are now is very noticeable, or atleast should be.

They lack experience, except for Davis who should be depth. We don't have any 2020 NFL Tackles on the roster eventhough they played Tackle in college. The NFL has been switching college Left Tackles for 40 years now. On this team we do not have a single Tackle on the team. Tackles today require quick feet, explosive jumping, and excellent 3 cone drill scores atleast .3 seconds quicker than forty time. If they can't get in space, they better get tough for the phonebook.

RB should be an F. When you pick up a RB in week 12 and he's suddenly the hope of the fanbase you have a real problem. The entire rb room should be pressure washed with bleach after the year to get the dumpster juice out of it. Yes, RB performance when you're dealing with a group of untalented cooler of trash fish like this is tied to a crappy OL. Our mindset needs to be to spend money to fix OL with vets and draft a top-notch in round two. Depending on how he does over the next few weeks keep Lindsay and maybe Gaskin though I loathe how he falls down literally two steps after the ball is in his hand but the rest should be dismissed unless it hurts our $'s.

Pay Gesicki. The guy clearly lives and dies with this team and is very reliable in passing. Yes, he's only less crappy at blocking but those hands are very good more often than not. We need talent on this team. We definitely have not seen anything out of Long so far besides one teeny tiny catch.

Fuller should have to spend the rest of the season cleaning the fryers in the stadium then on toilet duty. DP is good when he's out there but it's far too often. I don't know if we financially can get rid of him. The guy can't play more than half a season. It's in his DNA. Lots of good WRs in draft. Need to go OL in FA and make WR and RB our priorities in rounds one and two.

Thanks for that. I’m going to separate coach and front office. I give coaching an F across the board starting w Floores. I’d give the list of reasons but I’m kind of tired of writing them on every thread. As for Grier, I have been hard on him and deservingly so for the way he has put the team together in the last 3 years and pretty much whiffing on every damn pick outside of Tua which both landed on his lap and the debate on which QB he should’ve drafted, but I have to give him a whole lot of credit for this draft even though I don’t think waddle was worth the investment. I’m giving front office a B solely on the great draft. They still did nothing in FA and couldn’t put together a half decent Oline or coaching staff but what an A+ it looks like this draft can be
By saying Waddle isn't worth the investment you have now invalidated every thought you post. That's a bald faced lie.

Youre Wrong Gordon Ramsay GIF by Hell's Kitchen
Don Lemon Whats Wrong With You GIF by Red Table Talk

Zim, i hope this isnt too much to ask but I'd like to see your opinion on individual players. For instance I know the OL gets a bad grade, but does every guy on the OL get a bad grade? Does Reiter and Hunt get a C, while Eich and Jackson get an F?

Zim, i hope this isnt too much to ask but I'd like to see your opinion on individual players. For instance I know the OL gets a bad grade, but does every guy on the OL get a bad grade? Does Reiter and Hunt get a C, while Eich and Jackson get an F?
FanEn….I plan on doing that at the end of the year. Giving a grade to every player.

Flores grade goes beyond the disappointing start and it’s hard to give Grier an a when the Oline he has assembled is so bad
Factoring in free agency, maybe it's a B for Grier.

Offensive line is difficult to grade. I think the individual talent is better than the results. Coaching might be the main issue there.

I am not grading or re-grading just explaining our frustrations. As to why we are 6-7.

QB - What I am pissed about is Brissett did nothing as a back-up. 1-4 (Winning the Texans game). (Bills, Raiders, Colts, Buccaneers) What was his purpose? Not 1 win in this stretch after the broken ribs on Tua in 2 series of Week 2. Tua comes back versus the Jaguars in London puts us ahead 20-17 in the 4th Quarter and the Defense can't stop 2 FG's and lose 23-20. Falcons game Tua throws 4 TD's and still lose 30-28. He put us in position to win in the 4th Quarter 28-27 and defense could not stop Ryan and Pitts from getting into FG range to win the game. Bills game, Tua got hurt breaking his middle finger in a losing cause but, something was changed defensively and we held the score to 10-3 going into 4th (but it was not as aggressive as we are now in these last 5 weeks) we loss 26-11. Since entering the Ravens game in the 3rd Quarter, Tua till now he has played amazingly great stellar elite QB play in my eyes. He looks healthy now and he is playing with extreme confidence. Jacoby Brissett did nothing for this team 1-4 is unacceptable as a BU. He is gone next year thanks for nothing. As for FA BU's I would go get Marcus Mariota steal him away the Raiders. Or go get Colt McCoy (he has won games) or Nick Foles (wins games and a SB winner). We need a VET who can win some games if need be next season. 5-3 for Tua as our starter and Brissett is 1-4. There is the 6-7. If JB could of beaten the Raiders and Colts (we'd be 8-5 right now) but, we are given what we could not get done. Now going back to Tua put us both times in position to win and both times the defense failed to hold the lead (Jags and Falcons). That's the frustration I feel and most of us feel.

RB - All of our backs are not hitting holes and their vision has been lacking for some reason but, the OL is not making anything happen to gain yardage. So to me, this unit needs to turn to Phillip Lindsay as the starter and see what he can do. If we still get the same results, then now you know its the OL and we just need better backs period. Frustrating.

WR - This unit is a MASH squad. The only WR who has played all 13 games is a rookie go figure. Jaylen Waddle is STUD and will be for many years to come. Just think if we had all these WR's on this unit healthy who the fvck is going to stop us? That's what's frustrating.

TE - PAY THE MAN!!!! We need Gesicki and I will give him a 4 year 48MM extension. He deserves it. He is a TOP 5 TE/WR. The unit has been up and down this year. But, there are some solid pieces which you can build on. Frustrating.

OL - This unit was a mess from day one of TC. They should of kept Flowers and should of gotten 2 bookend Tackles in FA. Because are interior OL men are average to okay but the tackles are not very good or even average. JD needs to be a rotational BU not a starter. Rookie LT is not a good option we need VET bookends and with rookies behind them as rotational BU's. They have some of them player better now and they need cohesion for continuity. Can these next 4 games make or break this OL? Major frustrating as why we are 6-7.

DEFENSE (DL, LB, CB, FS, SS)
What makes me understand more about this entire defensive unit is there are ton of rookies on this side and maybe they were not getting it at first. The defense was simplified and it just did not work. Josh Boyer and Brian Flores were trying a different style and the vets were frustrated. In Week 8 versus the Bills something changed and you saw the old 2020 defense in spurts and it did well but, it was not as aggressive. On the trip home the defensive players asked for a players only meeting and they wanted to revert back to 2020 defense the rookies had to buy in. They all voted for it to return. They ask Boyer and Flores to change it. So in Week 9 till now they have kept it which is all they needed, as you can all see the defense is now 13th in PASS DEFENSE they were last and 13th in RUN DEFENSE they last or near there. They are 11th Overall. What a fvcking change right? They have talented players and are now excelling. Yeah, frustrating. Why? They did feel teams would figure them out but, risk versus reward in our 0 blitz packages fvck it keep doing what you're doing.

ST's - Sanders has missed 6 FG's. Why? To me it seems its Palardy. He was gold with Haack. But, he is still a damn good kicker.
Punt Returns are scary and to put JW or JH back there is sorta ridiculous. I understand there good at it but, why risk it. Use someone else. Frustrating.

Coaching / FO - To me they are a huge part of our 6-7 record. By not doing the necessary things to start the season fast. By not getting a better BU QB. FOr not doing the things needed for a better OL. Coaching in beginning was not good. Now it getting better. Maybe they are starting to gel too. Frustrating.
Front Office entertaining a mediocre QB who is a alleged sexual predator. When your Franshise QB is already here. Frustrating.

That's why were 6-7. But, they take care of business and become the first team to ever accomplish this feat which is in front of them. It will be history in the making.

Thanks Zim for your grades just had to vent my frustrations.

PASQUALE

Last edited:
A
Well folks… The bye week is here. The latest bye week in NFL history I might add. With that being the case, I decided to grade the team on their progress up to this point for discussion’s sake. After reading this post…..see if you can spot the theme. Now….I’m absolutely sure there will be a few grades you disagree with. As always, these are my opinions and do not represent the opinions of management. So with that…. on to the grades.:

QB’s — B - : This was a C +…. However, the Holiday Season and the stellar play of Tua lately has me feeling all warm inside. The future is definitely bright in Miami. Tua is hitting on 70.9% of his passes. That’s good…. I don’t care what offense you’re running. He has a 2 to 1 TD to Int ratio. His play the last few games has been fun to watch. Taking into account the inferior talent surrounding him and you have numbers that are pretty astounding in my book. I mean….Who doesn’t want their quarterback at a 96.1 rating? Exciting times have returned to our team boys and girls….And if Santa can fit a good OL onto his sleigh….The rest of this year and next year will be exciting to watch. As for Jacoby Brissett, he is an average and serviceable backup. I doubt he’ll be here next year…. But as for his play… He has a 78.1 QBR. I’d like to say he can do better than that….But to be honest, I hope we don’t find out.

RB’s — D + : Some will say this is a harsh grade….And there can be a case made for that. However, consider this: We’re 13 games into the season with 4 left and ALL of the rushes to this point have resulted in 1,030 yards. Obviously, the putrid OL goes into account here. But….Our backs aren’t breaking tackles. They’ve missed blitz pickups. On top of that, Ahmad and Gaskin account for only 334 yards of receiving. Gaskin has a measly 526 yards rushing for 40.5 a game. Again, that’s just not enough. While I like Gaskin and Ahmad’s effort, they’re just not what we need in the backfield long term. This has to be a point of emphasis this off-season.

TE’s — C + : I have to admit, I’m a big fan of Gesicki. I just am. The Penn State product has nabbed 59 Balls for 642 yards so far this year. Some of his catches are highlight material and the sad part about it is, he’s not signed for next year. That’s inexcusable in my book. He’s a clutch receiver. Period. As for the rest of the TE room, Durham Smythe has been very good in spots this year. 25 catches for 253 yards isn’t bad for a 2nd TE. Shaheen has 12 grabs for 110 yards too. Offensive Rookie of the Year Candidate Hunter Long has an amazing 1 grab for 2 yards. I still don’t know why we took him at that spot in the draft. Hopefully, I’m as wrong about him as I was Jaelan Phillips. Regardless, not a bad effort from this unit….And I’m sure with improved OL play…This unit will continue to play solidly for the rest of the year.

WR’s — D : Will Fuller’s 4 grabs for 8 yards are enough for the ‘F’ for these guys. What a disappointment. Then you add in the always injured Parker and there is no doubt this is a failing unit. BUT THEN….Jaylen Waddle comes along and hits for 86 catches and 849 yards. Boom…You now have a ‘D’ grade and a piece to build around. The scary part is he really hasn’t gotten “loose” yet. He’s going to be a great receiver in the coming years. The rest of the room has been below average to be honest…..And if you think about it….Even with Parker healthy, Tua only has 2 targets that can make a difference and one of them hurts himself going to the refrigerator every other week. This has to be another point of emphasis this off-season.

OL — F : Those of you that have read these grades with any kind of regularity know my feelings on these clowns. But let’s look a little closer to the recipe for a total F. Take an underwhelming level of talent spread across an entire unit…Mix that with a first year coach who has no idea what he’s doing….Then add multiple OC’s who are clueless as to what they’re trying to accomplish. Bake that for 13 games and you have the worst OL in the league and a straight up F. That being said, they are playing better lately. Is that because we’re playing horrible teams? Is it because of Tua getting rid of the ball in 2 nanoseconds? Or…Are they just improving? That’s up for debate obviously. Regardless, we are going to need at least 3 new linemen next year…..Maybe 4.

DL — C + : My justification for a C + here is that our D is currently ranked 21st in the league for scoring…And…We rank 23rd in the league for yards surrendered at 358.38 yds/game. Not good. On the positive side…We’re only giving up 103.85 yards/game on the ground. That’s 9th in the league. Saying this unit started off the year slow is like saying The Nazi’s weren’t very friendly people. They still don’t get enough pressure on the QB rushing only the front 4. They can be gashed on too many plays to the outside. But…Wilkins has picked it up lately. Ogbah leads the league in batted passes. Davis is coming on after being injured early in the year and even Sieler is even picking it up lately. My hope is that this unit keeps improving and starts off the year a little quicker in ‘22.

LB’s — C + : I mentioned that the DL started of the year slowly….The LB’s we’re like “Hold my Beer”. They were really non-existent for the first half of the year. But they’ve really picked it up lately. Baker is making plays again. Van Ginko is all over the place. And of course…. Jaelan Phillips leads the team with 8.5 sacks. Again, it’s been a nice 3 or 4 game stretch…But where was this kind of play in September and October?? I guess you could rack it up to coaching….Maybe the quality of opponent…But whatever it is….They’ve come along lately and avoided a ‘D’ grade.

DB’s — B : The highest graded unit on the team….And with good reason. They’re the highest paid unit on the team. Regardless, they’ve generally lived up to the hype. Like the rest of the defense, they also started a little slowly this year….But boy have they been good lately. X has 4 picks and he’s generally been good. Byron Jones doesn’t have any picks….But he’s been decent. However, the reason for the excitement is the Flying Dutchman Jevon Holland. What a rookie. Great attitude. Great skill. Home run by Grier on that pick.

ST’s — C - : Palardy has been below average all year except for the last 3 games. Then last week he’s the AFC ST player of the week? I guess we’ll take it. One guy that is still struggling a little is Sanders. He’s had a few misses this year. Hopefully, he gets out of his doldrums and gets back to the days of old and becomes the best kicker in the AFC again. Our return game and coverage units have been average in general and there’s just not a lot to say about them.

Coaching and Front Office — D : Those of you still reading this are sure to have spotted the theme. STARTING THE SEASON SLOWLY. I have no choice but to blame the coaching here. A refusal to run the Amoeba Defense. No real identity on offense. No originality anywhere. That’s where it’s sad. We’re playing great lately….But it’s probably a little too little and a little too late. We have to run the table after the bye. Is it impossible? No. But it is improbable. I guess We’ll see on that. As for Grier and the front office….It seems he hit it pretty big in the draft this year. So props there. However, it seems last year is going to end up being a little underwhelming except for Tua.

Thanks for reading my friends and enjoy the Bye Week.

Back
Top Bottom