'07 HOF semifinalists | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

'07 HOF semifinalists

HurriPhin said:
I actually think Reed has a far better chance than Micheal Irvin. Irvin might be a more prominate figure in the booth (and a much bigger mouth) but that should have no effect on the HOF ballots.

Dear God, please forgive me for promoting Jillism, and demoting an honorary member of the Canes.

:lol:

Art Monk not being in the HOF is a crime as well.

I was always for Art Monk getting into the Hall but examining his #s more closely he was really just a compiler. He played 16 years and was only in the top 10 in recs 4 times, top 10 in rec yards 3 times and top 10 in rec TDs ONCE(where he was 9th). If you look at his overall #s they looked good but mainly b/c he played 16 years.

nyjunc said:
I was always for Art Monk getting into the Hall but examining his #s more closely he was really just a compiler. He played 16 years and was only in the top 10 in recs 4 times, top 10 in rec yards 3 times and top 10 in rec TDs ONCE(where he was 9th). If you look at his overall #s they looked good but mainly b/c he played 16 years.
I totally agree with this comment.

I'm in the "Peter King Camp" about Art Monk. The guy was very good for a long time, never "great" and never "dominant", in my opinion. When you thought of those great Redskin team I always thought about Gary Clark or the running game. The Hall of Fame is not a place for guys who caught 85 10 yard come backers a season.

I totally agree with you on Joe Klecko as well. The guy went to the Pro Bowl at three different positions, and was defensive player of the year in 1981. Dwight Stephenson (the best center who has ever lived) called Klecko the best D-lineman he's ever faced.

My HOF Class of '07 would be:

Thurman Thomas
Richard Dent
Andre Tippett
Bob Kuechenburg
George Young

I take Thurman because the guy was a dominant player on a great team for a long time. He KILLED the Phins for a decade. Ricahrd Dent was a dominant force for 3-4 years on the best defense I've ever seen. Andre Tippett got lost in the shadow of L.T. his whole career but was a great, great player. A lot of older football writers consider Kuechenburg the best O-lineman on the Dolphins' teams in the 70's. If there are two other lineman from the same team in there he deserves his spot. George Young did a lot to get the league to where it is today.

I can't pick Terrell Davis because of length of career and the sucess other runners have had in the same system. I can't pick Art Monk because of the reasons I listed above. I can't pick Andre Reed because he is not even the best reciever in the eligible class. I can't pick Derrick Thomas because he was WAY too one dimensional and I can't pick Michael Irvin because he bothers me...LOL.

I think Reed and Irvin will get in, just not this year. I'll never be sold on Thomas or Davis.

I think the '08 class will have Tagliabue and either Reed or Irvin, if not both depending on the strenght of the class that season.

unifiedtheory said:
I take Thurman because the guy was a dominant player on a great team for a long time. He KILLED the Phins for a decade. Ricahrd Dent was a dominant force for 3-4 years on the best defense I've ever seen. Andre Tippett got lost in the shadow of L.T. his whole career but was a great, great player. A lot of older football writers consider Kuechenburg the best O-lineman on the Dolphins' teams in the 70's. If there are two other lineman from the same team in there he deserves his spot. George Young did a lot to get the league to where it is today.

Nice job. Andre Tippet was not only lost in LT's shadow, but I also think he's been snubbed b/c of the fact that the Patsy's never sniffed the postseason in this era. And although I already picked my 6 I gotta say Keuch will be there. Anyone who played that long ago and can still have an impact with the Dolphins has my vote. Besides the obvious fact that he was a Dolphin and apart of the '72 team.

The crackhead will get in before Reed, unfortunately.

They say that off the field issues are not supposed to be taken into consideration though. I think Reed has a better shot, since they do take those issues into consideration.

unifiedtheory said:
I totally agree with this comment.

I'm in the "Peter King Camp" about Art Monk. The guy was very good for a long time, never "great" and never "dominant", in my opinion. When you thought of those great Redskin team I always thought about Gary Clark or the running game. The Hall of Fame is not a place for guys who caught 85 10 yard come backers a season.

I totally agree with you on Joe Klecko as well. The guy went to the Pro Bowl at three different positions, and was defensive player of the year in 1981. Dwight Stephenson (the best center who has ever lived) called Klecko the best D-lineman he's ever faced.

My HOF Class of '07 would be:

Thurman Thomas
Richard Dent
Andre Tippett
Bob Kuechenburg
George Young

I can't pick Terrell Davis because of length of career and the sucess other runners have had in the same system. I can't pick Art Monk because of the reasons I listed above. I can't pick Andre Reed because he is not even the best reciever in the eligible class. I can't pick Derrick Thomas because he was WAY too one dimensional and I can't pick Michael Irvin because he bothers me...LOL.

I think Reed and Irvin will get in, just not this year. I'll never be sold on Thomas or Davis.

I think the '08 class will have Tagliabue and either Reed or Irvin, if not both depending on the strenght of the class that season.

I grew up in Skin country, watched the skins for years, I hate the Skins. Thats said, Theres no doubt in mind at all that Monk is a HOFer. Peter King doesnt know what hes talking about. Monk was THE goto guy on a bunch of great teams for a decade or more. He caught EVERY big third down catch and made huge plays in the playoffs all the time. The Skins played against good Giants, Cowboys and Eagles teams all the time, the NFC East was a dogfight every year, and Monk made the huge plays that win games. This complete nonsense that he wasnt making 90 yard pass plays so he doesnt deserve it is just a bunch of crap. Honestly I lost alot of respect for King because of his campaign to keep Monk out. The guys that dont have the numbers and didnt dominate were Lynn Swann and Stallworth, they were not as good as Monk and they both got in because of media campaigns that lasted for like 2 decades. Monk is a HOFer, if you didnt watch him then u just dont understand it and I think that is the problem with him. Hes quiet and doesnt campaign like Harry Carson, Lynn Swann, etc. He will get in eventually but its a shame that he gets downgraded by people who just dont know what they are talking about because they didnt see the Skins play enough.

I just hope Kooch gets in. Michael Irvin's off the field infractions might cost him from making the Hall, although he is a better person than OJ. :rolleyes:

Roman529 said:
I just hope Kooch gets in. Michael Irvin's off the field infractions might cost him from making the Hall, although he is a better person than OJ. :rolleyes:

Cmon OJ was a great guy....until he butchered his ex wife and her friend.

Back
Top Bottom