1 Happy RB Coach | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1 Happy RB Coach

dolphan39

Maria & LauRen Aha!
Reaction score
Collier counts blessings with Williams

this one's for you Robert:
Karim Abdul-Jabbar, John Avery, Bernie Parmalee, Stanley Pritchett, J.J. Johnson, Cecil Collins, Lamar Smith.

And now Ricky Williams.

You can pardon Dolphins running backs coach Joel Collier if he looks to the sky and lets out a loud, "Thank you."

All Dolfans have to be happy too. Still can't believe we have both Williams and a healthy Edwards. Imagine if Edwards does make the comeback player of the season. Travis Minor will be a very dangerous man as well. Fiedler has too be excited about the new offense possibilities. Now if we can just get a good offensive line too open some holes too run. Man I can't wait. :)

I still wont believe that Edwards will be any good until I see him in pads. His injury was just so horrendous, it would be a medical miracle for him to return to what he used to be. So I'll save my ensuthiasm on him till the pads are on.

RW should be great for us, but don't expect all that much from Minor, just because Norv likes to keep 1 RB in the game in all situations. RW is a really good receiver so he will probobly be in on 3rd down a lot. Minor will improve, but is stats might not, just because of his situation.

Emmitt, Davis, Tomlinson....did anybody else tote the rock for Norv's teams? Not really....

Skip Hicks still got the ball a bit when Stephen Davis was ruling the ground game for the Redskins...

And maybe near the end of the season Ricky will wanna get some rest. I mean, if there's no reason for Ricky to being playing the last game or two of the season, why would we put him in?

I hope more than anything else that we are in position to rest RW at the end of the season!!!! But it is unlikely, the race for home field is usually right down to the wire. I'd love to see RW get 1199 yds and have the other players step up and get a nice few yards as well....for draft purposes of course!!

Originally posted by Bodzilla29
I hope more than anything else that we are in position to rest RW at the end of the season!!!! But it is unlikely, the race for home field is usually right down to the wire. I'd love to see RW get 1199 yds and have the other players step up and get a nice few yards as well....for draft purposes of course!!

The whole Ricky deal is a catch-22, in my opinion. If Ricky gets over 1200 or 1500, people are going to complain about giving up the high draft pick. If he gets under 1200, people are going to complain about him not getting enough yards (i.e., they'll label the move a "bust". And Dolfans are infamous for labelling moves as "busts" whenever it is convenient to do so).

Even if we win the AFC east or maybe even have the number one seed, you're still going to have nay-sayers either way.

Just wait.

I hear ya Blitz

...but sometimes the bluff is the more potent weapon. Once established, RW can be in there but used more moderately if the other backs can be depended upon It could also open up the believable fake to give Jay some more mileage. In the end, all we fans will judge things on is where we end up. San Diego's not a bad place to be at the end of Jan! You only have to look for excuses if you fail.

Nevertheless a pick at 32 is going to be better than at 64 in next years draft so I hope they all can produce. A balanced offense. A dream come true.:cool:

What do you think about running back coach Collier? I'm wondering because I think we should have better production at the position while he is coach. Sure, we can make the arguement about personnel, but I think he's lacking when it comes to getting the most out of guy's when the are running the ball. I am happy with our RB's blocking and blitz pick-up though. Thoughts?
:D :cool: :D

Are you saying he never got the most out of Lamar Smith 2 years ago? Who was Lamar Smith before Collier got a hold of him? He cannot make players, he can only coach them, and while he has been here he has had very little talent to work with. The RB position has been a revolving door since he has been here.

Our RBs don't fumble very much, NEVER miss assignments and are relatively all solid blockers, this can be directly credited to the RB coach.

I do see your point. Actually, I think Smith is the one exception. I think a players first position coach can make or break his stay in the NFL. I'm not saying this applies to everyone, but with Avery and Johnson -minus his injuries- I think he had a role with their lack of running productivity. I don't really disagree with you or dislike Collier. I just wonder about all the misses we have had at RB. I really don't buy into the argument that those are all he had to work with. I think like every business the supervisor does have some input on who he would like to work with and Collier, I believe, helped pick John Avery and JJ Johnson along with Kippy Brown. I am one who doesn't blame Jimmy Johnson entirely for drafting Avery. A lot of people were fooled on that one.
We'll see, but I think JJ Johnson can be a decent back. I know his injuries played a big role in his lack of playing time, but I think he showed promise when healthy and his bitterness about it may have directly reflected on his relationship with Collier and thus his trade. Don't get me wrong. Collier is only human, just like you and me. I'm positive he is trying his best. As you said, our backs are very solid in blitz pick-ups, etc and let's hope with Ricky our running production improves:D
:D :cool: :D

Originally posted by SWS84
but I think JJ Johnson can be a decent back.
IMHO Cecil Collins could have been a solid RB if we had just assigned him and bodyguard/babysitter 7x24x365 :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom