100-meter record holder Gatlin fails drug test | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

100-meter record holder Gatlin fails drug test

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
World and Olympic 100 meters champion Justin Gatlin said on Saturday he had failed a drugs test after a relay race in Kansas City in April.

“I have been informed by the United States Anti-doping Agency that after a relay race I ran in Kansas City on April 22, I tested positive for ‘testosterone or its precursors’,†Gatlin said in a statement.

“I cannot account for these results, because I have never knowingly used any banned substance or authorized anyone else to administer such a substance to me.

“Since learning of the positive test, I have been doing everything in my power to find out what caused this to happen.

“I have been and will continue to cooperate fully with USADA as it moves forward with the process it has initiated and hope that when all the facts are revealed it will be determined that I have done nothing wrong.â€Â

Gatlin, who is also the joint 100 meters world record holder with Jamaica’s Asafa Powell, had previously tested positive for an amphetamine at the 2001 U.S. junior championships.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14094609/

culpepper2chambers said:
:nono: can barely look at an athlete accomplishing something with out asking myself if he is on steriods/hgh.
Unless you're watching Basketball or golf.

It would be pretty ******ed if a basketball player who needs all acrobatic/athletic moves on the court, to stiff their bodies up with steroids. It would be pretty much career ending for a basketball player if they use any drugs.

This is definetly the decade of performance enhancing drugs. I'm not saying he did anything, I mean u have got to be pretty stupid to do those type of things in an individual sport like track and field where u know how strict the drug testing policy is. Now a days, u have a bunch of OTC medicines and shots that raise your testosterone levels, I mean its getting to be ridiculous.

doesnt surprise me. Now what i really wonder is what percentage of NFL players use HGH or any other performance enhancing drug???

Because he's been so outspoken about being clean and cleaning up the sport.

He could well be guilty. But it's possible that something else happened (unintentionally).

You guys remember how many medals those East Germans won before the Wall collapsed? Well, around 1992 or so, German investigators found almost all engaged in doping (many times without the knowledge of the athletes themselves). So, who here thinks it's pretty circumspect the Chinese are now hauling in a treasure trove of medals? Oh, and a Chinese holding the world record in the 110 meter hurdles??

Man, I would bet that one day (once that government sees no need to demonstrate its greatness in the Olympics), we'll find out that was the (or one of the) largest doping programs ever. Of course, as usual, the dopers are often one step ahead of the tests.

Muck said:
Because he's been so outspoken about being clean and cleaning up the sport.

He could well be guilty. But it's possible that something else happened (unintentionally).
That would be great. It's just nice to read something other than, I doubt it.
Hopefully Gatlin is clean. He has become on of America's great athletes that competes on an international level.

Justin Gatlin's coach believes his sprinter was set up, and he knows who did it.

Gatlin, the 100-meter world record holder, has tested positive for doping and faces a lifetime ban from athletics because it is his second offense.
But Trevor Graham, Gatlin's coach, told Jamaican television that the American sprinter was "sabotaged."

"We are 100 percent sure who it is," Graham said Saturday. "The individual that did it, it's an individual that we fired and we went back and hired ... he came to the Kansas relay and was (upset) with Justin.

"We are trying to go after the individual. Hopefully we can prove our case, but we know who the person is and how it got into his system," Graham added.

Gatlin, who shares the 100 record of 9.77 seconds with Jamaica's Asafa Powell, said Saturday that he tested positive for testosterone or other prohibited steroids. He released a statement through his publicist saying that the United States Anti-Doping Agency informed him of the test taken after a relay race in Kansas in April.

Gatlin, the Olympic and world 100-meter champion, earlier tested positive for a banned substance contained in Adderall, which he took while in college to calm attention deficit disorder.

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/5830092

finswin56 said:
Why? Because he's a Vol?
Well given the fact he is a Vol, I've paid closer attention to his career than I probably would have if he was not. He's always spoken about cleaning up the sport. And with having to serve the two year sentence for the ADD med results, I just believe he would not cheat.

Johnson not shocked at Gatlin drug test

Justin Gatlin’s association with coach Trevor Graham is the biggest obstacle to proving that he’s not a drug cheat, former Olympic champion sprinter Michael Johnson said Monday.

Writing a column in The Daily Telegraph, Johnson said his initial reaction to hearing that Gatlin had tested positive for banned substances was “not one of shock or surprise.â€Â

“Not because I have suspected that Justin was doping  I’ve always had a lot of respect for him  but there has always been one thing about him that has bothered me: his association with coach Trevor Graham,†Johnson said.
Graham is a key figure in the BALCO steroid investigation and has coached several athletes who have been suspended in doping cases, including former 100-meter world-record holder Tim Montgomery.

“Even if Gatlin is innocent, now he will be suspected forever and he is about to see the danger of his continued association with Graham, because that association almost guarantees that no one will give him the benefit of the doubt,†Johnson wrote.

Johnson won five Olympic gold medals and still holds the world record for the 400 meters and 200 meters. He’s the agent for reigning Olympic and world 400-meter champion Jeremy Wariner.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14108858/from/RS.4/

Gatlin innocence lost

To his credit, it's recognition that the science is reliable," USADA general counsel Travis Tygart told The Associated Press. "Instead of wasting a bunch of resources attempting to create smoke where there's not any, he's acknowledging the accuracy of the positive test, and in exchange for his agreement to cooperate, we've recognized the nature of his first offense.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/trackandfield/news/story?id=2557803

You know, I'm going to reserve judgment on whether he's guilty or innocent. But either way, especially if he's innocent, he's doing his sport a favor by handling it so well. He's denying nothing, hiding nothing, trying to avoid nothing, and accepting all responsibilities for his supposed actions. This is the first time someone in their prime with nothing to gain and everything to lose (eliminating Jose Canseco, who was a lot more right than anyone believed) stood up and took it like a man. Kudos to him for that.

Back
Top Bottom