11/2 - dolphin mock | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

11/2 - dolphin mock

JepheryRoss

Starter
Reaction score
Palm Harbor, FL (originally New Haven, CT)
1. James Laurinaitis (ILB Ohio St)
2. Clint Sintim (DE/OLB Virginia)
2. Derek Pegues (FS Miss St)
3. Domonique Johnson (CB Jackson St)
4. Ramses Barden (WR Cal Poly-SLO)
5. Augustus Parrish (OT Kent St)
7. Pierre Banks (LB/S Appalachian St)
7. Conor Lee (K Pittsburgh)
7. Robbie Agone (TE Delaware)

if we can get barden in the 4th, that would be awesome, the guy is a stud, i think he will go in the 2nd though.....

Wow prob way too early for Laurinitis. I like him but not that much. I think we ahve to go Crabtree if hes there. If not Jenkins, Davis,Malaugha,William Moore is the pick.

Not a big Laurinaitis fan, he's not that good. Dissapears in big games, he's a pretty good player but I think he's a second round pick.

The immediate problem that stands out to me with this mock draft is the complete lack of double-barreling the positions. These guys are pretty notorious for addressing need positions with multiple picks in order to at least be as sure as you can that you've gotten something done at the position, and also because the competition between the two youngsters fosters improvement.

So, IMO, we're not just going to see only one WR taken, or only one CB, etc...with the exception of maybe whatever we do in the mid-first round (but even so that's a maybe). They didn't double-barrel Jake Long because he was a #1 overall and that was supposed to be a sure thing, no need to cover your bases with him. But anything after that...I think you start to see two picks at the same position (e.g. Phil Merling and Kendall Langford, Shawn Murphy and Donald Thomas, Jalen Parmele and Lex Hilliard, Chad Henne was clearly paired to compete with John Beck).

The immediate problem that stands out to me with this mock draft is the complete lack of double-barreling the positions. These guys are pretty notorious for addressing need positions with multiple picks in order to at least be as sure as you can that you've gotten something done at the position, and also because the competition between the two youngsters fosters improvement.

So, IMO, we're not just going to see only one WR taken, or only one CB, etc...with the exception of maybe whatever we do in the mid-first round (but even so that's a maybe). They didn't double-barrel Jake Long because he was a #1 overall and that was supposed to be a sure thing, no need to cover your bases with him. But anything after that...I think you start to see two picks at the same position (e.g. Phil Merling and Kendall Langford, Shawn Murphy and Donald Thomas, Jalen Parmele and Lex Hilliard, Chad Henne was clearly paired to compete with John Beck).

So that's where Belicheat learned it....lol...

Very keen observation my friend...

I'm not sure how much influence Parcells had in Dallas' draft of 2007...but the pattern fits:

1st round - DE/LB Anthony Spencer

3rd round - OT James Marten

4th round - QB/Athlete Isaiah Stanback

4th round - OT Doug Free

6th round - PK Nick Folk

6th round - FB Deon Anderson

7th round - CB Courtney Brown

7th round - CB Alan Ball

I'd look for our draft to consist of (2) DE/OLB's (2) CB's, (1) FS, (1) WR, (1) ILB, (1) OL, and (1) NT....

agree 100%. he does it often.

I see miami going OLb and LB, CB and S as the doubles and a WR in round 2 and on. I am about 100% round 1 is a LB OR and a BIG OR a CB/S.

I expect a S/WR/ or CB in round 2a, 2b, and 3.

WR is one of those tough positions to judge because really, Ted Ginn and Greg Camarillo have been stepping up nicely and Miami's passing offense is #6 in the league. That's even higher if you ex out the first two games when they clearly were still trying to get in sync and Pennington had only just arrived during the preseason. Over the last 6 games we've averaged 274.5 passing yards per game. Part of that is teams keying on the run for sure, and part of that is good protection, part of it is Pennington's accuracy and decision making, part of it is the tight ends, but a good part of it is Ginn and Camarillo, who have combined for 127 yards per game between the two of them over those 6 games. Over a 16 game schedule, that would equal out to 2,029 yards between them...two 1,000+ yard WRs (1,057 yards for Camarillo, 971 yards for Ginn, to be exact).

So, something is afoot with the WRs. These guys are not as bad as everyone has made them out to be, and they're both still relatively EARLY in their careers. Ginn is only in his 2nd year, and Camarillo is only in his 2nd year of getting actual regular season playing time.

WR is one of those tough positions to judge because really, Ted Ginn and Greg Camarillo have been stepping up nicely and Miami's passing offense is #6 in the league. That's even higher if you ex out the first two games when they clearly were still trying to get in sync and Pennington had only just arrived during the preseason. Over the last 6 games we've averaged 274.5 passing yards per game. Part of that is teams keying on the run for sure, and part of that is good protection, part of it is Pennington's accuracy and decision making, part of it is the tight ends, but a good part of it is Ginn and Camarillo, who have combined for 127 yards per game between the two of them over those 6 games. Over a 16 game schedule, that would equal out to 2,029 yards between them...two 1,000+ yard WRs (1,057 yards for Camarillo, 971 yards for Ginn, to be exact).

So, something is afoot with the WRs. These guys are not as bad as everyone has made them out to be, and they're both still relatively EARLY in their careers. Ginn is only in his 2nd year, and Camarillo is only in his 2nd year of getting actual regular season playing time.

Parcells is also know for taking WR's later in the draft and trying to develop them (Myles Austin Patrick Crayton are examples). WR's take so long to develop in most cases that I guess he believes that no need to waste a high pick on a guy that he is not sure about. This year beyond Crabtree there does not seem to be much of a sure thing. Macklin and Bey would probably be the next in line but both are going to take time to develop. Also, MIAMI really only needs a #1 guy. A big physical type similar to Marshall/ Fitzgerald etc. They have plenty of #2, #3 and slot guys so they will be pretty selective who they target. Also, they are very young at the postion so I could see them targeting another FA WR rather than spending a high pick on one.

I think we definitely have to look at getting a linebacker with our first pick. Right now we would be picking in about the middle of the first round so Maualuga will likely be gone...I also like Cushing and Clay Matthews, USC's other linebackers. Laurinaitis seems to get a lot of publicity but I am not sold on him. I think a shut down CB would be a nice addition, if we don't go LB....then from the 2nd round onward I would take BPA.

I'd hope Maualuga would drop, given that he hasn't exactly lit it up at USC this year...I'd really like to see us address the LB and secondary in 2009's draft.

Parcells is also know for taking WR's later in the draft and trying to develop them (Myles Austin Patrick Crayton are examples). WR's take so long to develop in most cases that I guess he believes that no need to waste a high pick on a guy that he is not sure about. This year beyond Crabtree there does not seem to be much of a sure thing. Macklin and Bey would probably be the next in line but both are going to take time to develop. Also, MIAMI really only needs a #1 guy. A big physical type similar to Marshall/ Fitzgerald etc. They have plenty of #2, #3 and slot guys so they will be pretty selective who they target. Also, they are very young at the postion so I could see them targeting another FA WR rather than spending a high pick on one.

Hakeem Nicks and Juaquin Iglesias are certainly worth a shout. I like Michael Jones too. And Percy Harvin is a playmaker.

1. James Laurinaitis (ILB Ohio St)
2. Clint Sintim (DE/OLB Virginia)
2. Derek Pegues (FS Miss St)
3. Domonique Johnson (CB Jackson St)
4. Ramses Barden (WR Cal Poly-SLO)
5. Augustus Parrish (OT Kent St)
7. Pierre Banks (LB/S Appalachian St)
7. Conor Lee (K Pittsburgh)
7. Robbie Agone (TE Delaware)

I honestly think Sintim will end up being a great 3-4 ILB. And the proof is in the film. He has one move and it is to run past the OT, it just won't work constantly enough to make him a OLB. But with his build, he is an ideal ILB, thumper type and when you send the kitchen sink on a blitz he'll be a good guy to run a stunt with. This year don't be surprised if the Dolphins workout a deal for a 1st next year. If and only if they have a strong free agency picking up Suggs, Nhamdi A or Gamble. They really only need immediate help at about two maybe three positions (ILB, RT and maybe C) those positions will all have good talent available in the bottom of the 1st and 2nd rounds. I think the Dolphins should be looking at LBs Curry, Sintim and Brinkley-RT Phil Loadholt, Fenuki Tupou and Max Unger at C or RT.

Back
Top Bottom