17 Game Season | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

17 Game Season

Teenwolf

You are an animal
Reaction score
Why? Other than squeezing more money out of fans with their 'marquee' matchups, what purpose does this serve?

The NFL are planning on moving to a 17 game season. I want to know what purpose this serves for the good of the game?

I think a reduction in pre season. So yeah I like more purposeful games.

The NFL are planning on moving to a 17 game season. I want to know what purpose this serves for the good of the game?
I understand that they want the revenue...but every business does look to grow their revenue.

As a football fan, do you not want to watch more meaningful football games? Removing a garbage preseason game and adding a real ones sounds fine to me. I like watching football...the more that I can, the happier I am.

I understand that they want the revenue...but every business does look to grow their revenue.

As a football fan, do you not want to watch more meaningful football games? Removing a garbage preseason game and adding a real ones sounds fine to me. I like watching football...the more that I can, the happier I am.

Don't miss the big picture. Players also want more money. everyone wants more money. Not saying money is the ONY factor as NFLPA negotiations demonstrate, but similar to the occasional noise of eliminating TNF

Don't miss the big picture. Players also want more money. everyone wants more money. Not saying money is the ONY factor as NFLPA negotiations demonstrate, but similar to the occasional noise of eliminating TNF
As long as there is demand, it makes sense to up the supply. Nobody will be forced to watch Game 17, Im sure.

I think MLB and NBA seasons are too long. NFL? Right now seems good, one more game, might not be too bad. The player's union can decide if player's health is worth the money.

I'm fine with a 17 game season (it willa lso eliminate .500 teams). More meaningful games is always good (though I am opposed to moving to 18 games). I also like the playoff format where only one team gets a bye. My only dislike about this is history. A somebody who studies and appreciates the history of the game, this cheapens single season records. Offensive records (particularly passing and receiving records) have already been cheapened in the past 15-20 years (and especially the past 12 years). This makes them almost meaningless in my eyes. The rules changes of 1978 opened the passing game some. Rules changes in the 2000's-2010's on have made 300 yard passing games almsot routine (not good).

I'm fine with a 17 game season (it willa lso eliminate .500 teams). More meaningful games is always good (though I am opposed to moving to 18 games). I also like the playoff format where only one team gets a bye. My only dislike about this is history. A somebody who studies and appreciates the history of the game, this cheapens single season records. Offensive records (particularly passing and receiving records) have already been cheapened in the past 15-20 years (and especially the past 12 years). This makes them almost meaningless in my eyes. The rules changes of 1978 opened the passing game some. Rules changes in the 2000's-2010's on have made 300 yard passing games almsot routine (not good).
I dont agree. In history, you can only objectively judge records against contemporaries.

If every RB, QB. WR, (whoever) is playing under identical rules, the "records" are relevant.

If you're trying to make historical comparisons, that's always objective.

My favorite QB of all time is Johnny Unitas...the numbers he put up and the records he set in the time he played were far and away better than anyone else for decades.

With QB not allowed to be hit now, its reasonable to expect QBs to play well until 40...different game.

It doesn't affect the history and should not affect one's appreciation of it.

Why? Other than squeezing more money out of fans with their 'marquee' matchups, what purpose does this serve?

Im pretty sure you have answered your own question

17-7 is a more common football score than 16-6. I'm game

The problem is one team getting a bye.

Home field advantage is a big enough advantage in this game.

Eventually we are going to have 3 teams be 12-4 or two teams at 13-3 who didn't play each other and only 1 will get the bye. This will be Miami's problem next year when we tie KC and don't get the No.1 seed.

Just not a fan of tilting the scales that much to benefit just one team.

12 out of 32 teams going to the playoffs was perfect. Two teams getting a bye was PERFECT.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom