1st & 2nd Rd Needs | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1st & 2nd Rd Needs

go22phins22

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Seems pretty clear Miami needs to come away with a QB, OT, RB, Safety/DB, and either another OL or a WR with their 1st 5 picks unless they use one to trade up. Ideal picks would be in not exact order:

QB - Tua
OT - Thomas (probably need to trade up)
RB - Swift - if have to wait til 2nd or 3rd then Dobbins, Taylor and the LSU kid followed by Akers
Safety/DB - Delpit or DB that falls
OL - Ruiz but he will probably go too early. Cush would be solid but again probably too early. Jones and Niang are interesting OT's with good size. Jones would have to be at 26 or earlier if they couldn't get Thomas.
WR - love Donovan Peoples Jones for value in late 2nd or 3rd.

This would be ideal list and i know not all will fall into their draft slots.

Checklist drafting is the surest way to make mistakes.

You do not HAVE to address your needs in descending order in the Draft.

You also do not have too complete the rebuild in one off season.The Fins will have Cap space next year and two 1's and two 2's in the Draft.

Collect as many quality players as you can. if you miss a need or two you can address them next year.

They should not be trying to build the very best team for next season, they should be trying to build the very best team for the next decade.

Reasonable to assume that we would target QB, OL, S and RB with our first five picks, assuming the right players are available in those groups.

I think best value in first round is QB at #5, OT at #18 (if one of Bechton, Wirfs, Willis, or Jones are available), and interior OL at #26 (if Ruiz or Cushenberry are available). The only thing that changes my mind is if one of the top WR drops to #18 (Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs). I think we might grab S later than people think. Flores knows what he wants at that position, and should be able to unearth a gem in round 4 or later.

Patience and Flexibility will be the key to this draft. It's fine to go into the draft with a plan regarding the way you want things to unfold. Just have a plan B and C in case things get weird early. The way COVID has affected this draft, we may be better off hitting 6 doubles than trying for homers and striking out. And do not, under any circumstances, marry yourself to certain players.

It's fine to want Tua, but don't trade up for him. Stay put and take Herbert, if Tua is gone. If both are gone trade down and target Love or take a tackle and draft Eason or Hurts in the 2nd. Be flexible.

Take BPA at 18 and 26. Don't overdraft a tackle at 18. Maybe trade down from 26 if there are no players left with a 1st round only grade. Be Patient

I have no RB's with 1st round grades. I have 5 with 2nd round grades. If teams want to over draft Swift and Dobbins in the 1st, my draft life ain't over. I should still be able to get one of the other 3 at 39. Be patient

I have 6 Safeties with 2nd to early 3rd round grades. We should be able to get one at 56. If Chinn is your favorite and he's gone by 56, don't throw something through the TV, take Dugger and live with the growing pains while remembering we won't be playoff contenders until the 22-23 season anyway. Be patient

Do be prepared to take advantage of opportunity, when it presents itself, but do not overpay in an attempt to manufacture the opportunity. If you have Delpit rated as a 1st rounder and he's slipping to 31 or 32 because he can't tackle, don't trade draft capitol to SF or KC, but do draft him at 39 and try for Akers at 56 or Dillon at 70. Be flexible.

I'm sure you guys get the idea. That ends my sermon for this evening.

Taking Herbert at #5 is just worthless. You are better off taking Love at #18 and getting a legit all pro player at #5.
Love has more potential than Herbert. Both are inaccurate and neither has a prayer of beating out Fitzmagic this year.
Dillon is not a pass catching back that is elusive in the screen or dump down game. They will certainly draft one of the top 4 elite backs.

I think a right guard is more of a need than center. Probably more of a need than right tackle as I think Davis has that job at the moment.

I think safety can wait until later also.

You got to keep an open mind when you are drafting... players fall, sometimes very good ones, and you have to be ready to break out of your plan...

That said, my plan is to trade down a bit and add one more pick... giving us 7 in the first three rounds. I'd pick

2 Tackles
1 Center
1 QB
1 RB
1 S
and K'Lavon Chaisson

If we miss on Chaisson, then the 7th pick can go almost anywhere.

You got to keep an open mind when you are drafting... players fall, sometimes very good ones, and you have to be ready to break out of your plan...

That said, my plan is to trade down a bit and add one more pick... giving us 7 in the first three rounds. I'd pick

2 Tackles
1 Center
1 QB
1 RB
1 S
and K'Lavon Chaisson

If we miss on Chaisson, then the 7th pick can go almost anywhere.
This is how I see it. Whether chaisson or not, the rest is perfect.

Seems pretty clear Miami needs to come away with a QB, OT, RB, Safety/DB, and either another OL or a WR with their 1st 5 picks unless they use one to trade up. Ideal picks would be in not exact order:

QB - Tua
OT - Thomas (probably need to trade up)
RB - Swift - if have to wait til 2nd or 3rd then Dobbins, Taylor and the LSU kid followed by Akers
Safety/DB - Delpit or DB that falls
OL - Ruiz but he will probably go too early. Cush would be solid but again probably too early. Jones and Niang are interesting OT's with good size. Jones would have to be at 26 or earlier if they couldn't get Thomas.
WR - love Donovan Peoples Jones for value in late 2nd or 3rd.

This would be ideal list and i know not all will fall into their draft slots.

In the 1st 5 picks - QB and OT. The rest depend on needs, who's available, and player ranking

This is how I see it. Whether chaisson or not, the rest is perfect.

I can't help it; I'm fascinated with what K'Lavon might bring to us. We don't have a pure pass rusher on this team and I think he's PERFECT for what we run. As a plus, he seems to have slipped a bit over the past few weeks. I thought this might happen since he projects as a 3-4 OLB who moves around the formation.

Everything that Charles Harris was supposed to be... (sigh)

I would like to come out of the Draft with a QB, 2 OL,, a RB who can catch the ball, a speed WR and possibly a two way TE. On defense I would like to see a FS added, maybe a SS as well to really beef up the secondary into a strength.A quality front 7 player would be nice but is not a big need right now.

But the positions I wold focus on would be the obvious ones, QB, OT, RB and FS. Those are the biggest needs and with that many needs it should not be too hard to address many of them without reaching. Wr and Te are luxuries at this time.

But you always leave room for a surprise player being available who is just to good to pass one.Like if Kinlaw/Lamb/Jeudy fell to 18, I would have to think hard about taking an OT there if one of the top 4 was still on the board.I probably still go Andrew Thomas there but maybe you could trade down a little and still get him.

I would not be surprised if a player we would never dream of seeing is on the board at 26 as well.

With so much uncertainty this year I expect our expectations(which have been fed my a media who is also uncertain)to be farther away from reality than usual.

There are going to be 3-4 "surprise" moments in R2, and hopefully they will push one of the OT's to 18.

Isn't Eric Rowe playing free safety (rather than strong safety). I thought he looked like a keeper by the end of the year.

Back
Top Bottom