1st day draft thoughts...put them in here | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1st day draft thoughts...put them in here

wvuFINFAN

Rookie
Reaction score
im a west virginian and a wvu grad so off the bat this has been a great draft by drafting pat white....i know alot of you won't like the pick, but as i said in the chat room before i think this is a great pick, maybe a little high, but a great pick...he might only play 10-15 plays a game but all he does is make plays, he is a game changer...if your saying we wasted a 2nd round pick on someone who only plays 10 plays a game, think again...he might only play 10 plays but of those 10 plays he might be responsible for 2 or 3 touchdowns/or big plays a game, i think it is worth it....i also think we got the best value picks in round 1 and 2 in cornerbacks vontae davis and sean smith....i thought we would draft two linebackers but in retrospect i love both cornerback picks...we needed to update our secondary especially with brady and sanches 4 games a year and facing owens and moss....all in all i think we did real good in the 1st day of this draft and look for us to take a tall wr, nose tackle, or more importantly and olb with our 3rd round pick tomorrow (hopefully barwin or michael johnson who are both still available)...what do you all think

edit: just realized barwin was drafted...so how about michael johnson or the defensive end from san jose state gilbert with the 3rd round, or do we look to improve our interior offensive lineman by taking herman johnson, the kid from wisconsin, or duke robinson

I like the Davis and Smith pick. I feel we wasted the 2nd for Jason Taylor on Pat White - we need a #1 receiver, not a gimmick player; and I'll take Beck over White any day.

I think they had a great draft. The secondary should be set for years to come. Smith also is a veratile player like White that he plays more than one position. Initially I was surprised at the White pick but realize it does make sense. He will be the emergency QB, will line up in the shotgun, at WR and HB with the option to pass. That is like drafting 3 players with 1 pick. Smith can contribute at either CB or FS and getting Davis at #25 is a steal. Drafting these 3 players equates to utilizing them in 6 positions, excluding special teams. All in all I think this was a great day.

I like the Davis and Smith pick. I feel we wasted the 2nd for Jason Taylor on Pat White - we need a #1 receiver, not a gimmick player; and I'll take Beck over White any day.
This may very well be a signal that JT will be back for one more year. If that happens, we rented him to the Skins where he wound up on IR and got White in addition. Gotta be pleased with that.

I'm happy with it. Smith should become a very solid Safety for us, and hopefully Davis is willing to be coached (cause he's kind of a douche otherwise.) I like the White pick, mainly cause the rest of the guys i wanted all went right before him. He can do some things out there that no other players can.

This may very well be a signal that JT will be back for one more year. If that happens, we rented him to the Skins where he wound up on IR and got White in addition. Gotta be pleased with that.

I'd like Jason Taylor back.

Pass on White - the wild cat is a fad because we couldn't run inside with the conventional offense. When we can run inside with the conventional offense the wildcat will die a fast death.

1. dont forget cameron wake who is like a first round pick
2. dont forget will allen is a f/a next year
3. dont forget that pat white will take huge pressure off ted ginn to be the playmaker
4. can you imagine ricky williams pat white ronnie brown and ted ginn on the field at the same time

while i'm not crazy about the pat white pick, i think our opponents are really pissed. it makes me happy in a demented kind of way

parceells , ireland, and saprano must like the o-line health and strength..they may also be higher on cam wake then i realized

1. Vontae Davis - like the pick, don't love it, but like it. Great pick from a physical standpoint, but he's another kid with issues like Jason Allen ... hopefully one of these high priced DB's develops into a good player.

2. Pat White - hate the pick. We invested in gimics. That's the third 2nd rounder we've spent on a QB in 3 seasons and we still don't have a starter or a Franchise QB. Poor choice IMHO, we have too many holes to throw away a 2nd rounder every year. I wasn't excited about the Beck pick, but I welcomed the kid and hoped he would develop. I wasn't excited about Henne, but I understand a new regime's desire for their own QB and I supported it. This pick is just too freakin much. Pat White isn't a starting QB in this league, and I don't care what Parcells got at the Jets with his change of pace QB, or how White fits into our gimic wildcat, the 44th overall pick is too freakin high for yet another backup QB and gimic player. I give this one two thumbs down. So, what are we going to do if he isn't a QB ... pair him witih Tedd Ginn Jr. and have the an offense where our WR's only run fly and post routes? Consider me unimpressed with the Pat White pick .... yet another QB who isn't good enough ... why we collect them escapes me. Two Thumbs Down.

3. Sean Smith - love the pick. I'm not sure whether he'll pan out or not ... very few CB's taller than 6'2 tend to pan out (thanks to Nowlan Nawrocki for backing me up on that). But, with Randy Moss, Terrel Owens, and the other WR's in our division, I'm definitely looking for a big CB who has some speed and can play press coverage. Smith is the guy in this draft for that, and we obtained real value for him at 61. We traded down and picked up a 6th I think??? (5th maybe?), but in the end getting Smith was what we really needed. Kruger was a good pick, but with Roth, I'm not sure we were going to take a Kruger in round 2 anyway--we needed someone with more speed to complement Porter.

Oh yeah, one last thing. The fact that we passed on Matthews in round 1, and Barwin and Sintim in round 2, tells me we are probably going to resign Jason Taylor for a short term contract. Cameron Wake may help, but we're seriously looking for 3 or 4 LB's next year unless we unearth a gem on day 2.

im a west virginian and a wvu grad so off the bat this has been a great draft by drafting pat white....i know alot of you won't like the pick, but as i said in the chat room before i think this is a great pick, maybe a little high, but a great pick...he might only play 10-15 plays a game but all he does is make plays, he is a game changer...if your saying we wasted a 2nd round pick on someone who only plays 10 plays a game, think again...he might only play 10 plays but of those 10 plays he might be responsible for 2 or 3 touchdowns/or big plays a game, i think it is worth it....i also think we got the best value picks in round 1 and 2 in cornerbacks vontae davis and sean smith....i thought we would draft two linebackers but in retrospect i love both cornerback picks...we needed to update our secondary especially with brady and sanches 4 games a year and facing owens and moss....all in all i think we did real good in the 1st day of this draft and look for us to take a tall wr, nose tackle, or more importantly and olb with our 3rd round pick tomorrow (hopefully barwin or michael johnson who are both still available)...what do you all think

He might only touch the ball 10-15 plays? Wow! thats more than any rookie in this draft will ever even dream about?!

I like this draft a ton! The two best CB's of this draft probably in the minds of this front office. Wildass wildcat. The best is yet to come!

Whats not to like....two very good corners and the wildcat get improved many times over.

Those that don't like the Pat White pick...you will change your minds soon enough. Like I have written before, now with him both teams will have 11 players on the field.
Now you have two to three runners...but more importantly...you have a real QB...that can throw...let the defenses play up...let the safeties get in the box...let the receivers play man on man...one miss and it's a home run.

Great job Dolphins!!

Ozzie Newsome makes a good move to grab Oher ... you can't have too many of those LT caliber guys and Oher is quite a talent despite his bust potential and the fact that he was drafted late. The Ravens may have 3 high quality LT types, but man, Oher was a steal at that spot in this draft.

On a side note, a LOT of people tried to tell me last year that we were making a mistake drafting Long because he couldn't play LT and that Oher was clearly better ... I disagreed and still do. But now we are seeing just how valuable those quality LT's are. Even after last season's bumper crop, we had another 3 in the top 10 and I think it was, what, 5 T's in the first round maybe?

Those teams that traded #1's next year for late 1's or 2's this year were dumb. The players were worthy of their draft position for the most part, but the price paid to get there wasn't nearly worth the player. I'm a fan of Clay Matthews, and I didn't even think the Packers got value for him considering how much they gave away to trade up.

On the other hand, if Sanchez works out, the Jets might just have made a good move trading up. But, it does seem odd that Sanchez isn't the strongest armed QB around, and they gave up a lot to get him, while we got a veteran QB who is sorta similar for free ... from the Jets. :D

I haven't digested all these draft picks yet, but there are more obvious losers in this draft than obvious winners.

Jerry Reese of the Giants continues to impress me and this year by drafting Hakeem Nicks, Clint Sintim, and William Beatty. It's the kind of draft I wish we had (just substitue Beatty for Sean Smith though).

Once again we toss around a gift extra 2nd rounder.

Back
Top Bottom