1st Overall Selection Trades In History | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1st Overall Selection Trades In History

Ozfin77

Starter
Reaction score
Does anyone have info on past scenario's where the 1st overall selection has been traded?

Either that, or situations like the Eli Manning scenario where the first player taken has been traded.

Thanks guys.

Does anyone have info on past scenario's where the 1st overall selection has been traded?

Either that, or situations like the Eli Manning scenario where the first player taken has been traded.

Thanks guys.

Not sure of the actual stats but for the last 10 years since the 1st overall has been getting expensive only 1 trade has happened and that was the Eli/Rivers swap.

The Eli swap happened because Archie Manning did not want Eli to play for the Chargers.....I think things worked out pretty well for both teams. I can't think of another trade down for the 1st overall pick, but I will see if I can find a list of other trade downs. I do remember John Elway did not want to play for the Colts so I think the Colts ended up taking an O-Lineman but I don't know if this was for the first pick?

Also from wikipedia:

"1983
Colts Traded Elway to the Denver Broncos for QB Mark Herrmann, rights to OL Chris Hinton and a first-round pick in the 1984 NFL Draft.

The Jets originally had the first overall pick in the draft, but they traded it to the St. Louis Rams for the Rams' sixth overall pick and third, fourthand seventh round selections.

The San Diego Chargers had the number one selection spot in the draft that year but traded the rights to the first overall choice to the Atlanta Falcons a day before the draft, for which they received the Falcons' first round pick (5th overall) and third round pick in 2001 (used to draft CB Tay Cody), a second round pick in 2002 (used to draft WR Reche Caldwell) and WR/KR Tim Dwight. With the Chargers' downgraded spot (the 5th overall), they selected Texas Christian University running back LaDainian Tomlinson.

Giants received

* Rights to 2004 1st Overall Pick, Eli Manning.

Chargers received

* Rights to 2004 4th Overall Pick, (Philip Rivers)
* 2005 1st Round Draft Pick - Used to draft Shawne Merriman.
* 2004 3rd Round Draft Pick - Used to draft Nate Kaeding.
* 2005 5th Round Draft Pick - Traded to Tampa Bay Buccaneers for Left Tackle Roman Oben."

The Eli swap happened because Archie Manning did not want Eli to play for the Chargers.....I think things worked out pretty well for both teams. I can't think of another trade down for the 1st overall pick, but I will see if I can find a list of other trade downs. I do remember John Elway did not want to play for the Colts so I think the Colts ended up taking an O-Lineman but I don't know if this was for the first pick?

regardless of how well Eli has been playing he was prettyt medicore for 4 years and the Giants could have had Rivers or Roethlisberger and kept their other picks which one of them turneed intop Shawn Merriman for SD.

When Parcells inherited the #1 pick w/ us in 1997 he blew it. He traded what would have been Orlando Pace and we got a package highlighted by the #7 overall which turned into James Farrior but he was not rhe James Farrior you see today. He was a bust for us w/ only 1 big season in 5 years.

Also from wikipedia:

"1983
Colts Traded Elway to the Denver Broncos for QB Mark Herrmann, rights to OL Chris Hinton and a first-round pick in the 1984 NFL Draft.

The Jets originally had the first overall pick in the draft, but they traded it to the St. Louis Rams for the Rams' sixth overall pick and third, fourthand seventh round selections.

The San Diego Chargers had the number one selection spot in the draft that year but traded the rights to the first overall choice to the Atlanta Falcons a day before the draft, for which they received the Falcons' first round pick (5th overall) and third round pick in 2001 (used to draft CB Tay Cody), a second round pick in 2002 (used to draft WR Reche Caldwell) and WR/KR Tim Dwight. With the Chargers' downgraded spot (the 5th overall), they selected Texas Christian University running back LaDainian Tomlinson.

Giants received

Chargers received

* 2005 5th Round Draft Pick - Traded to Tampa Bay Buccaneers for Left Tackle Roman Oben."

The SmElway junction should have an * because he adamently refused to play for the Colts (What an arrogant ahole). Said he would play Baseball instead if the Colts picked him....

The SmElway junction should have an * because he adamently refused to play for the Colts (What an arrogant ahole). Said he would play Baseball instead if the Colts picked him....

then the eli/rivers trade should to because thanx to daddy eli refused to play for the chargers

When Parcells inherited the #1 pick w/ us in 1997 he blew it. He traded what would have been Orlando Pace and we got a package highlighted by the #7 overall which turned into James Farrior but he was not rhe James Farrior you see today. He was a bust for us w/ only 1 big season in 5 years.

True. Between "what could have been" in the 1997 draft and the four number ones you had in 2000, you guys should have been on top of the division for a good long time... but it didn't work out that way.

Also from wikipedia:

"1983

Giants received

Chargers received

hasnt happened in a couple year it is about time for a trade to happen again

i know it hasnt happened often but has those drafts had Darren McFadden in it? he is a high prospect and is gonna get even higher after the workout at the combine. especially what AP did last year and mcfadden is a bigger prospect someone is gonna want a piece of him. we might be able to get Dallas to bit and give us there 2 firsts a second and a first next year plus a late pick or player. Jones is high on RunDMC.

Back
Top Bottom