1st RD QB Busts - Decade Review | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1st RD QB Busts - Decade Review

Lovethefish

Active Roster
Reaction score
As we approach this important decision , thought be interesting to review 1st Rd QBs.
Im looking at 11-12 outright poor 1st Rd QB picks last 10 years.

I found no real correlation between success/ failure and coaching, system or injury- rather for most part they just were NOT good enough.

Tebow, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Weeden, Manuel, Bortles, Manziel, Lynch, Trubisky, Rosen. Some TBDs or debatable (Mariota, RG3, Bradford, Haskins, 2018 class).

The only QBs whose career affected by injury IMO were Bradford &RG3.
On draft day- I don’t think you can veer from the talent- Tua’s career might be injury derailed but there’s a likelier chance that the other guy you pick just doesn’t have IT.

As we approach this important decision , thought be interesting to review 1st Rd QBs.
Im looking at 11-12 outright poor 1st Rd QB picks last 10 years.

I found no real correlation between success/ failure and coaching, system or injury- rather for most part they just were NOT good enough.

Tebow, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Weeden, Manuel, Bortles, Manziel, Lynch, Trubisky, Rosen. Some TBDs or debatable (Mariota, RG3, Bradford, Haskins, 2018 class).

The only QBs whose career affected by injury IMO were Bradford &RG3.
On draft day- I don’t think you can veer from the talent- Tua’s career might be injury derailed but there’s a likelier chance that the other guy you pick just doesn’t have IT.

Not 'busts,' but the other day I looked up all R1 QBs 2009>2018. Sorted them by the acquiring team's record the 2 previous years.

Picks by the 10 teams with the fewest wins - Mayfield, Bradford, Winston, Bortles, Stafford, Darnold, Newton, RGIII, Ryan, Luck
Picks by the 10 teams with the most wins - Lynch, Mahommes, Watson, Ponder, Freeman, Goff, Jackson, Tebow, Locker, Flacco.

Depending on definition, the worst teams have the most long-term starters and few busts, but keep in mind I'm listing only 20 teams instead of 32.

Back
Top Bottom