1st round Mock w/ 7 rounds for Fins | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1st round Mock w/ 7 rounds for Fins

Haha, thanks for giving some props to my boy Syvelle Newton. He's kind of a local boy, and I've been watching him play for the ****s for a while now. He has a lot of potential, but he just has been moved around too much and hasn't been given time to grow. His quickness and QB play could make him a Antwan Randle El type and could replace Vick if he doesn't play out. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that we draft him. Even though I know its a stretch for a local boy to be drafted to my favorite team.

Phinsdude said:
Props on the effort, but dude, come on.

Miami won't be picking 6th. Yes, I am a die hard, I am not saying super bowl, but this team is not picking 6th. Second, Unless there was a major illegal trade, the Bears have a Tight End named Desmond Clark, the Colts have Dallas Clark. There will be a lot of trading, and the team holding the first pick will be able to get some nice players. Also, look for the Pats to move up with their 2 firsts and a third, and steal Calvin Johnson.

Considering they have the Seahawks pick and their own pick, neither of which are likely to be in the top 15 at best, they would have to give a heck of a lot more than that in order to move up high enough to get Calvin Johnson.

I would take Gaines Adams if he is there and we pick 6th.

Van-Island Fins said:
Looks pretty good.......our O-line is actually doing alright now, so I doubt we go there as early as the 2nd.
your kidding right ...i'm not even going to go there

DonShula84 said:
I wouldnt mind that draft at all. I'll be watching Leon Hall this weekend against OSU, I didnt pay much attention to him against ND for some reason. I take it you think Brohm and Bush stay in school?
watch L. hall good closing speed and quickness

i think we will pick anywhere from 8-12 but i like L. hall lamar woodley calvin johnson laron landry

finsrule84 said:
if Zamardzija goes to to New England i'll puke. What's worse, he sounds like the perfect fit for the Patsies.

i heard he's going to play baseball

ChambersWI said:
4 Tampa Bay Gaines Adams DE, Clemson I think this pick makes perfect sense for Tampa since Simeon Rice and Greg Spires are getting up there in age. If Brian Brohm enters this could be him, but I think Gruden is still commited to Simms.

What about Gradkowski?

ChambersWI said:
6 Miami Leon Hall CB, Michigan If we pick here, too early for an LB, and I'm not totally committed to the idea of taking Sam Baker, Levi Brown, or Jake Long here. We have seen Yerimiah Bell make a difference since coming into the starting line-up, and Jason Allen has had a couple nice games as nickly/dimeback. Will Allen and Andre Goodman have done a fine job for us, as has Travis Daniels, but we still need a shut down corner. Leon Hall will be a shut down corner (4 year starter at a school like Michigan, not even Ty Law or Charles Woodson did that)

The phins could use a true #1 CB. But, I would like to see Nick make a run a Nate Clements if for no ther reason than to steal him from the Bills. Though, NC is not worth breaking the bank over.

ChambersWI said:
30 Denver Eric Weedle FS Utah Who is Eric Weedle? One of the best CB/S prospects in the country. He's a playmaker, and would be the perfect replacement for the aging John Lynch

Its Weddle. I don't think he'll be drafted this high. 3rd or 4th rd IMO. EW is not fluid enough to play CB in the NFL. In a cover 2 scheme, its possible. Weddle has reurned punts and can contribute on ST. He is the versatile, intelligent player that could do well in Miami IMO.

ChambersWI said:
Rest of Miami's Draft

2.Arron Sears OT, Tennessee All American canidate, perfect OT for our system. Has a mean streak.

3.Justin Durant LB, Hampton Small School prospect, but is an athletic freak, and could start right away. He has great coverage skill (for an LB), and can also rush the QB. Maybe not the name some of you were looking for, but he's a good prospect.

4.Clark Harris TE, Rutgers This pick has nothing to do with wanting to replace Randy McMichael. Harris is a 6'6 TE. We're not a great red zone team. I just put 2 and 2 together and got 4.

5.We Give to Lions for Joey's extended PT.

6.Jay Alford DT, Penn State Not a big DT, but has some pass rushing ability that we could use. Remember, 6th and 7th round are about drafting prospects you can develop for later on.

7.Syvelle Newton QB/WR/S South Carolina A definate project, but a player I liked so I picked him. 7th round pick so he'd probably be on the PS.

Note:I have been on the draft Mason Crosby bandwagon for a long time, but there were other players I thought we could use before the man with the golden foot.

Comments are welcome

What about Culberson (LB Mississippi St), Staley (LT Central Michigan)? I actually like adding the TE from Rutgers and Newton from S Carolina?

I question yet another DT. What about Higgins (WR UTEP... a real burner) or Morton (WR Wake Forest.... possibly the next Welker)?

Is Meyer the QB from Iowa St worth it or just a clone of Cleo?

ChambersWI said:
Note:

24 New England (from Seattle) Jeff Samardzija WR Notre Dame With Chad Jackson, Doug Gabriel, and Reche Caldwell the Pats have some nice youth, but none of them are go to guys nor do they have great size(and you can only go to the TEs so many times). Some Domer fans on this site will be mad that I have Shark going here, but what are you going to do about it?
Too bad Samardzija is signed to the Chicago Cubs (MLB) as a minor league prospect, pitcher. No WAY BB or the pats would waste a 1st round on a WR. Maybe if Anthony Gonzalez falls to the 3rd round. Pats already have 4 WR's that are all under 28 that are expected to come back, in Gabriel, Caldwell, Jackson and Gaffney. Troy Brown will probably retire at the year's end. Additionally, 1st round WR's tend to suck their rookie season. Yes, not signing Branch was a bit hit, but WR is NOT such a pressing need to draft a WR in the 1st and 2nd rounds in the next draft.

LB and S are the most pressing needs for the Pats. Right now we have our back SS(Artrell Hawkins) playing FS, and 3rd string CB(Chad Scott) playing SS, and occisionally Troy Brown(WR) playing the second SS in quarter formations.

As for LB, Vrabel has 2 more years in him, and Bruschi has one more year. And BB's Defensive scheme is very complicated. By next year, Vrabel will have to move back into ILB, TBC will probably have the starting LOLB spot for the first few weeks. The only secure spot is ROLB with Rosevelt Colvin, who is not Willie McGinnest, but satisfactory.

Given the situation in the Pat's depht chart, Pat's draft S and LB in the first round. Second round draft another S or LB.

Third round is interesting. I think the Pat's will go on the offensive side. Heath Evans, Patrick Pass (FB's) and Daniel Graham are on their last year of their contract. Probably won't resign any of them. And draft Brian Leonard (FB) out of Rutgers.

The EARLIEST I see the Pats drafting a WR is Day 2, 4th round.

And I also think that the Raiders are going to win the Brady Quinn Sweepsteaks.

I have no idea where people are getting the idea that Samardzija will play baseball instead of football. I havent heard anything that says he has said that. A lot of football players have signed baseball contracts and played football

PATS.BABY.PATS said:
And I also think that the Raiders are going to win the Brady Quinn Sweepsteaks.

Not seeing it, dude. Even if the Raiders draft high enough to get him, they'll pass. It's not in Greasy Al's nature to draft QB's in the first round, and I really don't think they're ready to give up on Walter. Yes, he is playing poorly, but remember he's only in his second year and his team's playbook resembles a bed-and-breakfast menu. Quinn will be the latest promising young quarterback to be completely corrupted, misguided and, ultimately, ruined by the Lions.

I envision at a big wide body guy to place nose in their somewhere..

ChambersWI said:
Note: This is going by current draft order, not where I think we'll finish. (And I do not have Brian Brohm entering the draft as of right now).

1 Arizona Joe Thomas OT, Wisconsin Should Joe Thomas be the number 1 overall pick? Hard to say. The only other OT to go number 1 overall was Orlando Pace, and Thomas is no where near Pace's level coming out of college; but he's closer than Robert Gallery (2nd Overall) and D'Brickshaw Ferguson(4th overall) were. Thomas IMO is the best OT prospect since Pace, and can be a franchise LT. With Leonard Davis likely going the way of FA, and the rest of the line being either A)inexperienced or B)Not good, an upgrade is needed.

2 Detroit Brady Quinn QB, Notre Dame Jon Kitna is having a nice year, but is note a QB of the future. Josh McNown can start if needed, but is a mediocre starter at best. Detroit hasn't had a franchise QB since.... Charlie Batch? (hey, he was kind of good there). This might be the only year though that Millen could get away with drafting a WR.

3 Oakland Calvin Johnson WR, Georgia Tech Randy Moss is unhappy, Jerry Porter is unhappy, Ronald Curry and Alvis Whitted are... solid 3 and 4 WRs. CJ is not the athletic freak Moss is, but he's still pretty close. The biggest difference is he'll give you 100% (hey, he had Reggie Ball as his QB for 3 years, he deserves points for that).

4 Tampa Bay Gaines Adams DE, Clemson I think this pick makes perfect sense for Tampa since Simeon Rice and Greg Spires are getting up there in age. If Brian Brohm enters this could be him, but I think Gruden is still commited to Simms.

5 Tennessee Allan Branch DT, Michigan IF Branch comes out, he's a top 10 pick definatly. Albert Haynesworth is done in Tennessee, and Randy Starks is more of a pass rusher than a run stuffer. Branch can do both.

6 Miami Leon Hall CB, Michigan If we pick here, too early for an LB, and I'm not totally committed to the idea of taking Sam Baker, Levi Brown, or Jake Long here. We have seen Yerimiah Bell make a difference since coming into the starting line-up, and Jason Allen has had a couple nice games as nickly/dimeback. Will Allen and Andre Goodman have done a fine job for us, as has Travis Daniels, but we still need a shut down corner. Leon Hall will be a shut down corner (4 year starter at a school like Michigan, not even Ty Law or Charles Woodson did that)

7 Houston Adrian Peterson RB, Oklahoma The running game has taken a hit with the injury to Dominick Davis, but even when he comes back, he's gotten knicked up each of the past 3 years. Peterson is the perfect RB prospect, and if they pass on him, they'll get more flack than they did for passing on Reggie Bush (although this flack will be justified). Also, they drafted Charles Spencer and Eric Winston to be their OTs last year.

8 Cleveland Marcus McCauley CB Fresno State Gary Baxter tore the patella tendons in both his knees, Daylon McCutheon is always hurt, and after Leigh Bodden all you have is... Ralph Brown. McCauley isn't having a great year, but he's got the intangibles the pro scouts look for.

9 Pittsburgh Sam Baker OT USC Pittsburgh could take a couple of guys, but Baker will probably be the choice. Max Starks is an RFA, and even if he resigns, Marvel Smith is starting to decline in skill.

10 Washington Quentin Moses DE Georgia Andre Carter is not giving them the pass rush they need, and Phillip Daniels is not really a pass rusher either.

11 Buffalo Justin Blaylock OL Texas Is it a bit early for this pick? Maybe...probably. Again, this is a case Of me not knowing who to draft for a team. I don't think the Bills will give up on JP just yet, but I do know they have a need for o-line. Blaylock is the best guard available. Could be Levi Brown, but I don't think he's here just yet.

12 Minnesota Dwayne Jarrett WR USC The Vikes need a go to WR, and Jarrett can be that guy. Ted Ginn maybe, but they need more of a possession guy than a speed guy.

13 St. Louis LaRon Landry FS LSU Corey Chavous at SS, ok not great. OJ Otogwe at FS... not great. Neither are bad, but neither are really playmakers, Landry is a playmaker.

14 Green Bay Michael Griffin SS Texas The Packers want a safety not named Marquan Manuel. Might be a bit early, but he'll shoot up draft boards.

15 San Francisco Levi Brown OT Penn. State Kwame Harris is bad, really bad. They need a good RT to go along with Jonas Jennings.

16 Cincinnati LaMarr Woodley DE One of the reasons Cincy's defense is so bad is because they get very little pass rush from Justin Smith nor Robert Geathers.

17 Atlanta Paul Posluszny LB Penn. State Poz could go anywhere from top 10-25. Brookings is still a pro bowler, Hartwell has been solid but hasn't lived up to his contract. The third LB spot has been a problem for the Falcons as they've switched between Demarrio Williams and Mike Boley.

18 New York Jets Marshawn Lynch RB California Jets fans can feel free to call me off on this one, but Barlow hasn't impressed me, and I don't know if Washington can be an everydown back. Lynch can.

19 Dallas Ted Ginn JR WR, Ohio State Outside of Patrick Crayton, zero youth at WR (unless you consider Skyler Green). This is one of the only places I can see Ginn being a factor his rookie year. He'd be asked to be the return man, but beyond that, he'd be used for only deep plays on offense, and would not have to be a go to guy.

20 Carolina Patt Davis LB, Ole Miss Thomas Davis is having a nice second year, and Chris Draft and N'ail Diggs are having solid seasons. BUT none are playmakers. Dan Morgan can be a playmaker, but he keeps getting hurt. Willis would be an instant starter in Carolina

21 Jacksonville Victor Abiamiri DE Notre Dame Injuries hit the Jags defense hard this year. Even when healthy, they don't have a dominant pass rusher. Can Abiamiri be a dominant pass rusher? Maybe, but he's better than Spicer, Wiley, and McCray.

22 Kansas City Frank Okam DT Texas You could see a WR like Shark from Notre Dame (Jeff S, but Domers call him Shark), or you could see an OT, but the one weakness I notice about the Chiefs defense is the play of the DTs. They are hard workers, but are only average players. To build a winning team, you need to build from the trenches like the Pats,Eagles, and the Panthers.

23 Philadelphia Jake Long OT, Michigan Winston Justice will take over for one of the two tackles, but that leaves the other tackle spot open. Combining Long with Justice, Jackson, Jean-Gilles, and Andrews gives Philly a very scary o-line.

24 New England (from Seattle) Jeff Samardzija WR Notre Dame With Chad Jackson, Doug Gabriel, and Reche Caldwell the Pats have some nice youth, but none of them are go to guys nor do they have great size(and you can only go to the TEs so many times). Some Domer fans on this site will be mad that I have Shark going here, but what are you going to do about it?

25 New Orleans Buster Davis LB Florida State Saints are having a great season, but their one weakness on defense, which has been a weakness for 4 years now, is their LB corp. Mark Simeneau,Scott Fujita, and Scott Shanle have done an admirable job, but they're not playmakers.

26 New England Brandon Siler LB Florida Bruschi and Vrabel are getting up there in Age, and Seau is already up there. Pats have another good draft, people on this site complain, ESPN sucks up to the genius of Bill Billicheck, and all is right with the world.

27 New York Giants Darrelle Revis CB Pittsburgh What do Sam Madison and RW McQuarters both have in common? They're both aging corners who are still good, but not where they once were. Who are the G-Men's other corners? Cory Webster, and... exactly. Youth movement here.

28 Baltimore Tim Crowder DE Texas Again, youth movement. Could add youth at LB or DE behind Pryce. If Crowder is here, I see no reason why not to take him; especially since Dan Cody has been hurt for 2 years, and is trying to make the transfer to LB.

29 San Diego Rufus Alexander LB Oklahoma Not many weaknesses, but they could use youth at ILB. Alexander might not start right away, but he provides youth.

30 Denver Eric Weedle FS Utah Who is Eric Weedle? One of the best CB/S prospects in the country. He's a playmaker, and would be the perfect replacement for the aging John Lynch

31 Chicago Zach Miller TE, Arizona State Dallas Clark is having a good season, but they still need an upgrade, who can eventually surpass Clark

32 Indianapolis Aaron Rouse SS, Virginia Tech I put SS by Rouse's name because that's what he played in college, he won't play that for the Colts. Rouse will make the same transition Cato June made, from SS to LB. Gilbert Gardner has not made the impact expected of him since Gary Brackett left, and June might test FA.

Rest of Miami's Draft

2.Arron Sears OT, Tennessee All American canidate, perfect OT for our system. Has a mean streak.

3.Justin Durant LB, Hampton Small School prospect, but is an athletic freak, and could start right away. He has great coverage skill (for an LB), and can also rush the QB. Maybe not the name some of you were looking for, but he's a good prospect.

4.Clark Harris TE, Rutgers This pick has nothing to do with wanting to replace Randy McMichael. Harris is a 6'6 TE. We're not a great red zone team. I just put 2 and 2 together and got 4.

5.We Give to Lions for Joey's extended PT.

6.Jay Alford DT, Penn State Not a big DT, but has some pass rushing ability that we could use. Remember, 6th and 7th round are about drafting prospects you can develop for later on.

7.Syvelle Newton QB/WR/S South Carolina A definate project, but a player I liked so I picked him. 7th round pick so he'd probably be on the PS.

Note:I have been on the draft Mason Crosby bandwagon for a long time, but there were other players I thought we could use before the man with the golden foot.

Comments are welcome
but I appreciate your research with players, especially the small school guys. I really like Newton. Nice choice.

Lee2000

I know most folks won't agree, but give me Chad Henne as a round 3-5 QB ... we'll see what he does this weekend against OSU ... but he has impressed me since he came on the MICH scene ... [most of all -- hopefully, he comes out this year]

The draft guru's can break him down ... but I've always liked what I've seen from him on the field ... and MICH tends to produce solid, steady pro caliber QBs .... [Brady excluded] ....

Also, doubt we end up with even a top 10 pick at this point ... worst case 6 wins ... dreaming for 10 wins ... but still believe that we end up with 8 ...

Ryan1973 said:
Just because the o-line is doing okay right now doesn't mean Miami doesn't need help there. They could use a LT and center.
:yeahthat:

Back
Top Bottom