1st Round Targets | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1st Round Targets

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Assuming Miami can't trade up or down, here are the players I see the Dolphins targeting with the 15th overall pick.

Quarterback -- Blaine Gabbert and Cam Newton will be long gone, but Jake Locker, Ryan Mallet and Colin Kaepernick could all be sitting there at 15. If only Miami knew if Chad Henne was salvageable it would be so easy to build up around him. As it stands the team needs to take a quarterback in the draft, but if they are not sold on these guys they could look middle rounds. My guess is that Mallet's intangibles knock him down for Miami, but they could definitely pull the trigger on Locker who has the skills and intangibles to work with. At his best, Locker reminds me of Bret Favre. I'm definitely interested to see how his career goes and if he can iron out the inconsistencies that plaqued him in college.

Offensive Line - The two first round possibilities that best fit the Dolphins style are Gabe Carimi of Wisconsin and Florida's Mike Pouncey. They are both physical and versatile. Pouncey could play center or guard. Carimi, though a little heavy footed, could probably play left tackle at the next level but would be a good fit at RT or guard. He's also from the Big 10 and is a four year starter something this front office really likes. Talent-wise I think he falls somewhere between Vernon Carey and Jake Long -- not too shabby.

Wide Receiver - If Julio Jones drops Miami may go that way, but he likely won't be there. Besides him and A.J. Green (possible #1 overall pick) I don't think there's another wide out who will be drafted in the first half of round 1.

RB - Mark Ingram and Ryan Williams are possibilities. I don't think the team will re-sign Ronnie Brown or Ricky Williams, but I also see plenty of depth at the running back position so they could go in another direction and still get a quality player at running back later.

Defense -- Two names jump out as possibilities at #15 Aldon Smith of Missouri and Brandon Harris of Miami. I don't think it's likely that the Dolphins pick defense here, but if they hold steady to best player available these two could be in the conversation. You can never have enough pass rushers and if Cam Wake was 23 or 24, I'd dismiss Smith more quickly. Smith could be used as a pass rushing DE as he transitions to outside linebacker position. That way, on passing downs, Miami could have Wake, Misi and Smith in the lineup. Smith is very intriguing. Harris is an excellent corner and with so many quality receivers in the NFL this is another position where you just can't get enough good players.

if we touchJake Locker, Ryan Mallet, or Colin Kaepernick with our first round pick that would be really stupid

Finally somebody with some sense i agree with your evaluations and the Locker comparison people like to rip on Locker because Mel Kiper does so they just go with what he says without really knowing the type of talent he really possesses.
Assuming Miami can't trade up or down, here are the players I see the Dolphins targeting with the 15th overall pick.

Quarterback -- Blaine Gabbert and Cam Newton will be long gone, but Jake Locker, Ryan Mallet and Colin Kaepernick could all be sitting there at 15. If only Miami knew if Chad Henne was salvageable it would be so easy to build up around him. As it stands the team needs to take a quarterback in the draft, but if they are not sold on these guys they could look middle rounds. My guess is that Mallet's intangibles knock him down for Miami, but they could definitely pull the trigger on Locker who has the skills and intangibles to work with. At his best, Locker reminds me of Bret Favre. I'm definitely interested to see how his career goes and if he can iron out the inconsistencies that plaqued him in college.

Offensive Line - The two first round possibilities that best fit the Dolphins style are Gabe Carimi of Wisconsin and Florida's Mike Pouncey. They are both physical and versatile. Pouncey could play center or guard. Carimi, though a little heavy footed, could probably play left tackle at the next level but would be a good fit at RT or guard. He's also from the Big 10 and is a four year starter something this front office really likes. Talent-wise I think he falls somewhere between Vernon Carey and Jake Long -- not too shabby.

Wide Receiver - If Julio Jones drops Miami may go that way, but he likely won't be there. Besides him and A.J. Green (possible #1 overall pick) I don't think there's another wide out who will be drafted in the first half of round 1.

RB - Mark Ingram and Ryan Williams are possibilities. I don't think the team will re-sign Ronnie Brown or Ricky Williams, but I also see plenty of depth at the running back position so they could go in another direction and still get a quality player at running back later.

Defense -- Two names jump out as possibilities at #15 Aldon Smith of Missouri and Brandon Harris of Miami. I don't think it's likely that the Dolphins pick defense here, but if they hold steady to best player available these two could be in the conversation. You can never have enough pass rushers and if Cam Wake was 23 or 24, I'd dismiss Smith more quickly. Smith could be used as a pass rushing DE as he transitions to outside linebacker position. That way, on passing downs, Miami could have Wake, Misi and Smith in the lineup. Smith is very intriguing. Harris is an excellent corner and with so many quality receivers in the NFL this is another position where you just can't get enough good players.

Jake Locker is all about POTENTIAL. Is Locker the next Brett Farve or Akili Smith?
His inaccuracy is due to his "centerfielder" hop; something a good QB coach should able to fix. It's what between his ears is what concern's me.

Dude if anything if we dont get a qb in the first theres a good possibility that Locker slips to the 2nd similar to how Favre slipped at that point i say we reacquire our 2nd pick and take Locker because hes too good to pass up there however Locker is my favorite qb in the whole draft im not going to lie but if Newton falls to us i would take him over Locker.
Jake Locker is all about POTENTIAL. Is Locker the next Brett Farve or Akili Smith?
His inaccuracy is due to his "centerfielder" hop; something a good QB coach should able to fix. It's what between his ears is what concern's me.

Finally somebody with some sense i agree with your evaluations and the Locker comparison people like to rip on Locker because Mel Kiper does so they just go with what he says without really knowing the type of talent he really possesses.
I also think Locker is someone you can work with and mold. It's obvious he didn't have a lot of talent around him at Washington. I love his competitive fire and that's where he really reminds me of Favre.

That's a legit concern, especially since he really didn't take his game to the next level at Washington. It's a quarterback class that is high on potential, but each prospect has some big questions or flaws that need to be worked out. At least in the case of Locker and Kaepernick they both seem to be very coachable and possess the intangibles and leadership skills you look for at the quarterback position.

What i like is that he actually improvises like Favre and sometimes will just scramble around till he finds someone open and with Marshall they could be really good at that.
I also think Locker is someone you can work with and mold. It's obvious he didn't have a lot of talent around him at Washington. I love his competitive fire and that's where he really reminds me of Favre.

That's a legit concern, especially since he really didn't take his game to the next level at Washington. It's a quarterback class that is high on potential, but each prospect has some big questions or flaws that need to be worked out. At least in the case of Locker and Kaepernick they both seem to be very coachable and possess the intangibles and leadership skills you look for at the quarterback position.

I completely agree. Kaepernick seemed very coachable at the senior bowl but Locker didnt do too well there and he was with NFL coaches. I understand he was with the Bengals and all but I would have liked to see a LITTLE more progress from him at the senior bowl. However, that being said.. I would not be tooo upset if Newton was gone and we pulled the trigger on him. As long as none of the top prospects are still available. (Von Miller, Prince Amukamara, etc..)

I don't see this coaching staff molding a QB into anything special. If they drafted Locker he would get worse every year until he left Miami or is out of the league. They might be able to mold him into a decent field goal kicker..

Dude if anything if we dont get a qb in the first theres a good possibility that Locker slips to the 2nd similar to how Favre slipped at that point i say we reacquire our 2nd pick and take Locker because hes too good to pass up there however Locker is my favorite qb in the whole draft im not going to lie but if Newton falls to us i would take him over Locker.

If newton falls to us... I have to really take pause and wonder why at least 3 other teams that NEED a QB, passed on him.......

If newton falls to us... I have to really take pause and wonder why at least 3 other teams that NEED a QB, passed on him.......

Miami and St.Louis passed on M.Ryan while desperately needing a QB, so what's the difference? Teams make selections for different reasons, that shouldn't effect the way you run your draft.

What i like is that he actually improvises like Favre and sometimes will just scramble around till he finds someone open and with Marshall they could be really good at that.
ricky stanzi was the best kamikazee qb i saw this year improvising when the play blewup in his face and he'll still be around in the 4th.

Back
Top Bottom