2 CB's??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2 CB's???

Finfan4lyfe91

Active Roster
Reaction score
I was thinking about it today and it has been mentioned about doubling up on a position of need so I began to wonder about a scenario something like this...

With our first round pick we take either Trufant or Rhodes.. whichever our coaching staff is higher on..
With our 1st second dounder we take another corner.. say a guy like Jordan Poyer or Darius Slay or MAYBE Johnathan Banks will be there..

That takes care of the CB situation.. However the only way I can see this working is if we sign Wallace or Jennings.

If we have 36 Million now before cuts I have two scenarios I'd like to see play out..

OPTION A: Sign Wallace 12 yr
Sign Vollmer 7.5 yr
Sign Goldson 7 yr
Re-Sign Fasano 2 yr
I left around 8 million to sign the draft class as well as guys further down on the totem pole. Idk exactly how much is needed for the draft class.

Wallace, Hartline, Bess, Matthews seems like a good top 4 WR and Vollmer solidifies our line at the T position and Goldson pairs with Jones to form a great young backfield with young corners to grow with. This

Option B: Sign Jennings 8.5 yr
Sign Keller 3.5 yr
Sign Vollmer 7.5 yr
Sign Abraham or Freeny 5 yr (only as a stop gap pass rusher to help mentor Vernon) I also dont know what they will command but I'd sign either to a 2 year 10 million deal until Vernon turns into a beast.

I'm not really an expert at all as you can tell. I just am interested in your thoughts to taking two CB's with our top two picks.. we can possible get Swope or Bailey with 2B or Tank Carradine maybe..

AS you can tell I am (as I'm sure we all are) LOSING MY FRIGGIN MIND waiting for next week to get here!!!!

Feedback is always appreciated!

Well I think doubling up at CB is definitely an option, but it depends on FA really. If we lose Smith and don't bring in a top FA CB, I think we will draft 2. Even if we do resign Smith, we'll likely draft 1.

Your offseason plan is fun, but might be overly optimistic. How would you want to do FA if it turns out that each of those players cost 1M-3M more than you have listed? I think Ireland may have some very tough decisions on just how to spend his picks and money, heh.

The FA class is really deep at corner this year...probably like 8 guys or so who are solid starters so Im thinking we grab one there. We can't go into the draft with 0 corners talented enough to start..that really pigeon holes us.

That said...I can definitely see us drafting two corners in before the 4th round or so. Id like to add a Wallace/Jennings and a Keller/Bennet/Davis/Cook duo in FA...as well as adding a starting caliber CB. Then in the draft maybe something like Rhodes at 12. Steadman Bailey and Ryan Swope in the 2nd. Phillip Thomas and Leon McFadden in the 3rd. etc etc. That would go a long way to helping Tannehill and to shoring up the secondary.

I think we all just have to realize that we won't be able to fill every single hole we have with a player we want...but that doesnt mean we can't add enough talent to become a playoff team. This offseason Im focused on playmakers...Find a RT cheap and just roll with the O-line as is.

Yeah I agree it is optimistic... I could be way off on my prices, like I said I'm just trying something out..

But I think if we lose Smith and focus on WR in FA we will lose out on a solid option for corner so I ultimately think its going to have to be addressed in the draft. So what do you think about upgrading WR, O-line and possibly FS in FA and CB in the first two rounds with our first two picks? I think if we can address those positions in FA then we can maybe even trade up for Banks if he falls to pair him with Rhodes or Trufant and have 2 young good corners to team up with Jones and build a young secondary and go after DE next year while we let Vernon grow or maybe bring in a cheap DE like Abraham or Freeny..

I'd prefer Miami sign a CB, draft a CB with one of our first 4 or 5 picks (all would be inside the top 3 rounds) and then draft a CB later. So I'm in favor of picking up two CB's in the draft - but only one in the first few or so picks.

I'm not really an expert at all as you can tell.

WHY? their is NO such thing as an "expert" as far as the draft. its a gamble and a guess. and all a team or gm or armchair guru can do is GUESS!!

yeah, yeah, said guru reads all the latest stats and watches all the college games and has all the computer stats on former drafts, etc....., but, in the end, its a GUESS and thats it.

if anyone, anywhere was an "expert", they would be making more money than god and every nfl team would be clamouring for his/her services all year, everyday and would be a HIGHLY PAID, FULL TIME employee on a teams payroll.

your opinion is as good as anyone's. dont sell yourself short. just dont forget its all just fun and OPINIONS are like bung holes, EVERYONE has one!! :lol:

If we take one with our #1 pick i hope we go WR with our 2nd pick (with a FA WR pick up) O Line with our 3rd pick and D Line with our 4th then back to CB with our 5th pick (our second 3rd rounder.
I hope, if they double up, that we go for one early, then get another later in round 3.

Back
Top Bottom