MDFINFAN

Reach for the Stars
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I went to the Ravens\Buff. Bills Game Saturday Night:

Both starting O's were unimpressive:
The starter's for Buf's O played like Miami's against Tampa
1. Drew didn't throw any INT's. Didn't look too good this game.
2. T. Henry didn't play ths game, so the running wasn't smooth.
3. OL did a decent job of blocking in pass protection, but the OT's weren't consistent. JT and OGun, should give them a run for their money.
4. Reed and Moulds didn't do much this game. The Raven kind of took them out.. the rb's and te's were more involved in the passing game while the 1st string was in. Buf O never really got into a groove.
5. Van Pelt didn't look too bad when he played, I think he holds on the b/u role this year. T. Brown their 3rd was just too inconsistent. When he did make plays in the passing game, they were good ones, but mostly he was indecisive and inaccurate.
The Raven's O.
1. Ran the ball effectively up the gut of Buffalo..first run, 4 yards up the middle. The Raven OL looked in midseason form.
2. The problem with the Raven's O is at QB, Redman still looks like a rookie.
3. Raven OL pass blocking was decent for the most part.
4. As a matter of Fact on one pass play, I can't remember if it was the center or the guard, but on one on one blocking, straight up he knocked Adams on his tail. It was so funny, I was in prefect position to see the whole thing.
5. The Raven's will defintely be a running team while Redman is at QB's, but with the rookie Boller, this guy is a gamer, despite the fact he played only against the 2 and 3rd stringers, this guy has a arm, man he rifled a 35 pass to wr between 2 defenders who were only 6 yards apart and got the ball in there for what would have been the tying TD, if the Ravens had kicked the extra points, but they went for 2 like us and missed. That's how Buf left with a 20-19 victory.
Buf. D..
Hard to make a read on them, because Redman wasn't good.
Winfield and Cemmons had good games, but they weren't really challenged. The LB's: Spikes is as advertised, a good hustler to the ball. Flecther and Posey wasn't as active. They had as many problems covering the flats and te's as Miami's LB's.
Middle of run D. was soft or the Ravens OL was solid, but Adams and Willaims didn't stopped the run up the middle, Williams did look better than Adams, he wasn't moved out of the way as easy as Adams was. Adams had a tendency to raise up too fast and allow the OL to get to his body, I'm not sure what he was trying to do, but it didn't work. He's kind of slow in his movement. Against the Pass, the D played pretty good, but with Redman at QB, I wasn't sure if that wasn't the reason. The Bills Backups, both O and D, didn't have a real good game, except for a DE named (man can't read my notes) I don't think it was Kelsay, he got a penalty for unneccesary roughness, Ol yea, it was Irons, he had a good game.
Ravens D..
This D is close to what they use to be, they were a beast against the Bills 1st O. Ray L. was in midseason form. This D will give people some problems this year..The new guys click well within this D. With their running game clicking and this D, if this wasn't a abberation, this should be a good football team. Their starting D play every aspect of the game pretty well to include short passes.
Both teams b/u's left a lot to be desired. For the Ravens a b/u named Nate Bolling had 3 straight sacks..

This was a pretty vanilla game, and not much could be judged by this game. The Bills do have some good young WR's.
The Bills return ST's were fantastic, their Coverage teams needs some work. The Ravens ST teams need a lot of work. Looking at our game, both teams looked no better than we did. But our backup played a helluva lot better than the Bills and Raven, our depth should be better than these guys, which can go a long ways during the season.

Nice report MDFINFAN

The difference between the offseason of the Bills Vs Fins is that they had to upgrade their starting lineup when we had to upgrade our backups so it doesn't suprise anyone that our crew did a lot better.

There will be no easy foes this year except maybe Houston...

Originally posted by FinsGoToGuy
Nice report MDFINFAN

The difference between the offseason of the Bills Vs Fins is that they had to upgrade their starting lineup when we had to upgrade our backups so it doesn't suprise anyone that our crew did a lot better.

There will be no easy foes this year except maybe Houston...

Understand one thing that report is coming from the eyes of a finfan. He didn't report the upside of the bills game. Although he made some good analysis. Some are misleading.

Sam Adams? He doesn't have to do squat. All he has to do is stand there and get double teamed freeing Pat Williams and our lb's which is what happened. It's only preseason and you are right, we had to upgrade and by the looks of it potentially we could very well have the best lbing crew. Not only because of Spikes and co. but the abilty of Adams and Pat to clog up the middle.Ravens had 2.5 ypc.

It's only preseason guys. Nothing to go crazy about We may not be considered as a SB team by many but there is no doubt that we are going to be competitive.

Originally posted by justafan

Understand one thing that report is coming from the eyes of a finfan. He didn't report the upside of the bills game. Although he made some good analysis. Some are misleading.

Sam Adams? He doesn't have to do squat. All he has to do is stand there and get double teamed freeing Pat Williams and our lb's which is what happened. It's only preseason and you are right, we had to upgrade and by the looks of it potentially we could very well have the best lbing crew. Not only because of Spikes and co. but the abilty of Adams and Pat to clog up the middle.Ravens had 2.5 ypc.

It's only preseason guys. Nothing to go crazy about We may not be considered as a SB team by many but there is no doubt that we are going to be competitive.

Justa, Sam didn't do squat, I watched him closely, you know I don't like him, but I was willing to give him the benefit of a doubt, he didn't earn it in that particular game. He got some double teams in that game, but very few. When you say ravens only had 2.5 ypc, remember that was over the whole game, they had more on your 1st team D. They ran well. Again this game was vanilla, can't really make a judgement call on it for the season, the report was just some of my observations. I have upsides too. Like your return st's, your CB's, and Spikes, for the few series they were out there, they were the standouts. On O, your young wr's were pretty good and AVP, but I pointed these out. Adams in this game did not impress me. I still think he gives you a good half season of play, but he stills takes too many plays off.

Originally posted by justafan

Understand that this counterargument to MDFINFAN's report is coming from the eyes of a Buffalo fan.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN

Justa, Sam didn't do squat, I watched him closely, you know I don't like him, but I was willing to give him the benefit of a doubt, he didn't earn it in that particular game. He got some double teams in that game, but very few. When you say ravens only had 2.5 ypc, remember that was over the whole game, they had more on your 1st team D. They ran well. Again this game was vanilla, can't really make a judgement call on it for the season, the report was just some of my observations. I have upsides too. Like your return st's, your CB's, and Spikes, for the few series they were out there, they were the standouts. On O, your young wr's were pretty good and AVP, but I pointed these out. Adams in this game did not impress me. I still think he gives you a good half season of play, but he stills takes too many plays off.

MD, it was the defenses first game together..btw, Lewis had 16 yards on 5 carries or something..the d-line improved as play went on...also, I think we both can agree that the Raven's oline is pretty damn good

Originally posted by CirclingWagons

MD, it was the defenses first game together..btw, Lewis had 16 yards on 5 carries or something..the d-line improved as play went on...also, I think we both can agree that the Raven's oline is pretty damn good
the only drive they scored on our first team d was when they got a short field...started at our 42

its just preseason, the first game of preseason no less...if the defense improves each of the next 3 weeks, then i'm psyched

One Bills DE who had a good game was Keith McKenzie.

Originally posted by TigerJ
One Bills DE who had a good game was Keith McKenzie.

yah, that surprised me...he's a good pass rusher but i was impressed with him against the run in that game

Originally posted by CirclingWagons

The one part of my report I think Justa miss, was that I said this was a vanilla game, hard to judge the teams by. I things I did see were the yards up the middle, when Lewis went to the corners I think the pursue was good, Spikes. Of his 16 yards, 10 had to be up the middle, but as I said, Adams wasn't playing hard in my opinion, or just playing lazy, but he didn't impress me..Read my report again for other aspects that I gave props for.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN

The one part of my report I think Justa miss, was that I said this was a vanilla game, hard to judge the teams by. I things I did see were the yards up the middle, when Lewis went to the corners I think the pursue was good, Spikes. Of his 16 yards, 10 had to be up the middle, but as I said, Adams wasn't playing hard in my opinion, or just playing lazy, but he didn't impress me..Read my report again for other aspects that I gave props for.

I know what you're saying, and you were fair with the post

That wasn't a report, more like a fan free for all. Chris Redman executed pretty well in the game and didn't play bad like he said. Boller was just burning buffalo's defense which lacks of depth even though having quality starters.

Originally posted by juniorseau55
That wasn't a report, more like a fan free for all. Chris Redman executed pretty well in the game and didn't play bad like he said. Boller was just burning buffalo's defense which lacks of depth even though having quality starters.

Well in person Redman did not look good, if you think otherwise your entitled. I feel differently about him. You're right it wasn't a report, it was my observations. The free for all, no, I could have said a lot more, but wrote from the notes I had...which is why I ended it with, this game was vanilla, can't judge much by it..Did you understand why I put that there?

Got to back up my man MD. Here's what profootballtalk.com had to say about the Bills defense after the game:

BILLS "D" DOESN'T LOOK MUCH BETTER

The same league sources who got an eyeful of Kyle Boller at the Ravens-Bills game also tell us that the Buffalo defense still needs plenty of work.

The Bills' run defense looks weak, say our moles, which could bode poorly for a team that likely needs to get to the postseason in order to save coach Gregg Williams' job. Williams is entering the final year of his contract -- with no extension in sight.

On offense, there's mild concern about the team's running backs. Sure, Travis Henry didn't play against the Ravens, but the guys who did made folks wonder whether Willis McGahee's price tag went up in the wake of the corps' generally crappy showing.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Back
Top Bottom