2 yrs later Grading the Welker trade | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2 yrs later Grading the Welker trade

If I remember correctly Miami signed him to a 2nd rd. tender and the Pats matched it. The 2nd and 7th trade was questioned by the league as to which it was even legal....think Miami made the best of the situation....where they screwed it up was how they used the picks. Kinda like everything else Cam and Mueller did.

If I remember correctly Miami signed him to a 2nd rd. tender and the Pats matched it. The 2nd and 7th trade was questioned by the league as to which it was even legal....think Miami made the best of the situation....where they screwed it up was how they used the picks. Kinda like everything else Cam and Mueller did.

NE actually matched the offer and was ready to add a poison pill into the contract that Miami would have never been able to match so Welker was as good as gone at that point. NE didn't want to create any bad blood between the two teams so instead of the poison pill they decided to sweetened the pot with a 7th round pick which the dolphins accepted.

I believe had Parcells been the GM he'd have never let Welker get away. Mueller screwed up plain and simple. He should have tried to ink Welker to a long term contract before the start of FA and when that didn't happen the tender offer was too low.

I agree with you on that one. I can't believe how much damage Cam and Mueller managed to do in 1 year.

Does Welker have as much success without teams doubling Randy Moss? Not sure.

Wasn't he the leading receiver on the dolphins the last season he was there? Moss was never a dolphin.

Wasn't he the leading receiver on the dolphins the last season he was there? Moss was never a dolphin.
This isn't about Welker as a Dolphin, it is Welker as a Patriot.

If you want to look at Wes Welker in his final season with Miami, then lets do so.

YES, he was the Dolphins leading reciever with 67 receptions. However, Joey Harrington/Daunte Culpepper really spread the ball around that season. McMichael had 62 receptions, Chambers had 59 receptions, and Booker had 55 receptions.

Welker goes to New England, and his receptions increased by 45. He is a good slot reciever no doubt, but his numbers are a little bloated because of the offense he went into. From what I remember, the Patriots ran a lot of 4 WR sets and empty backfields in 2007. With talented receivers like Moss and Stallworth on the field the same time as Welker, it becomes a huge mistmatch for defenses. While defenses were busy gameplanning for Moss and Stallworth, little Welker could run short routes and be open. You should be taking this as a compliment to your offense.

You put Welker on another team like the Lions, Bears, Chiefs, or Browns, and he is likely just an above average WR.

This isn't about Welker as a Dolphin, it is Welker as a Patriot.

If you want to look at Wes Welker in his final season with Miami, then lets do so.

YES, he was the Dolphins leading reciever with 67 receptions. However, Joey Harrington/Daunte Culpepper really spread the ball around that season. McMichael had 62 receptions, Chambers had 59 receptions, and Booker had 55 receptions.

Welker goes to New England, and his receptions increased by 45. He is a good slot reciever no doubt, but his numbers are a little bloated because of the offense he went into. From what I remember, the Patriots ran a lot of 4 WR sets and empty backfields in 2007. With talented receivers like Moss and Stallworth on the field the same time as Welker, it becomes a huge mistmatch for defenses. While defenses were busy gameplanning for Moss and Stallworth, little Welker could run short routes and be open. You should be taking this as a compliment to your offense.

You put Welker on another team like the Lions, Bears, Chiefs, or Browns, and he is likely just an above average WR.

I am taking it as a compliment I'm just not so sure most of that credit goes to moss or Stallworth. Culpepper/Harrington vs Brady/Cassel NE "O" line vs Maimi "O" line all those things helped Welker increase his total but as you say even with out those other WR when in miami he still caught more balls than any of the others and the fact that Belichick stated he used to give NE fits trying to cover him lends a lot to the talent and toughness the little guy has. I'd even go as far to say had the Lions, Bears, Chiefs or the Browns aquired him two years ago he be the leading receiver on any one of those teams also.

receptions maybe, but no way welker get more yardage and Td's than roy williams or calvin johnson in Detroit. Welker is a great slot guy, but not a big play guy. But a great safety valve. A lot of other teams like to use the tight end, the pats use another reciever.

receptions maybe, but no way welker get more yardage and Td's than roy williams or calvin johnson in Detroit. Welker is a great slot guy, but not a big play guy. But a great safety valve. A lot of other teams like to use the tight end, the pats use another reciever.

I agree. Not a huge play guy for the most part, not even a td guy. He's just a 1st down machine and a threat to take a 2yd rec for 20yds every time.

Because Wes Welker would have had equal success in Miami playing alongside Marty Booker, Chris Chambers?

Give me a break, the 2nd and 7th rounder for Wes Welker was a no brainer at the time. Just because Welker has Randy Moss opening up the entire field for him and the best QB in the NFL throwing him the ball in New England doesn't mean he was going to duplicate the numbers he has now in Miami. Even with Cleo Lemon's lazer arm!

Wes is a very good WR, but not worth a 2nd AND a 7th round pick even now. Sorry.

Because Wes Welker would have had equal success in Miami playing alongside Marty Booker, Chris Chambers?

Give me a break, the 2nd and 7th rounder for Wes Welker was a no brainer at the time. Just because Welker has Randy Moss opening up the entire field for him and the best QB in the NFL throwing him the ball in New England doesn't mean he was going to duplicate the numbers he has now in Miami. Even with Cleo Lemon's lazer arm!

Wes is a very good WR, but not worth a 2nd AND a 7th round pick even now. Sorry.

Matt Cassel is the best QB in the league?

Tom Brady is, and when he was throwing to Welker, Wes had a slightly better year. Cassell is just a product of the Patriots offense IMO.

Of course Welker will benefit from having Tom Brady and Randy Moss, but people aren't factoring that New England is using him better. Would Welker have the kind of numbers he's had in New England the past two years if he were in Miami? Probably not. But on a team that has had good QB play he has thrived. It's not Welker's fault that the Miami teams he was on were horrible. I just hate when people knock Welker for being on a a superior offensive team. Put him with a good offense and look he's flourished into the best slot guy in the league.

Back
Top Bottom