Reaction score
In 1996 Miami selected DT Daryl Gardener at #20
In 1994 Miami selected DT Tim Bowens at #20

In 2004, Miami selects...

DT Randy Starks at #20??
DT Marcus Tubbs at #20??
DT Vince Wilfork at #20??
DT Donnell Washington at #20??

Probably won't be a DT drafted at #20 this year, but it's a fair question. Tubbs and Wilfork are DT's Miami loves being that they are 2 gap pluggers. Wilfork won't drop with all the teams needing D-line ahead of Miami. Do you reach for Tubbs??

we got 3 great DT's on our team, It would completely surprise me if we got a 4th DT....we would be drafting for next 2 or 3 year's needs and not this year.

do you use your #1 pick on a DT who will likely be inactive (barring injury) for most games since he w/b 4th on the depth chart. Tim Bo, Chester and Zgnonina are all old, but still productive. Seems to me to be a logical choice in 2005

DTs can step in their first year, so I don't see Rick taking a DT with the first pick. We still have 3 DTs who can play right now.

I would be highly upset if they took a DT w/ the first pick.

Originally posted by Predaphin34
we got 3 great DT's on our team, It would completely surprise me if we got a 4th DT....we would be drafting for next 2 or 3 year's needs and not this year.

DT, MLB and Safety shouldn't surprise anyone as a Day 1 pick. Those are needs depth wise and with Bowens and Zach Thomas missing multiple games every year, DT and MLB are looking to have excellent talents there at #20 such as Randy Starks and Jonathan Vilma.

Boy, I would love for Miami to get one of those guys.

A 5th round pick and 2 undrafted free agents started for the Patriots in the Super Bowl at O-line. We all know we have copy cats in Miami's FO. Wouldn't surprise me if they passed up Shan Andrews.

Nothing Miami does would surprise me to tell you the truth.

I don't think we'll go DT in round one but I think we'll take one in round 3. 2 of our guys are getting old and Chester's been hurt too. Time to start getting younger on defence too.

Ozzy rules!!

Originally posted by Danny
I don't think we'll go DT in round one but I think we'll take one in round 3. 2 of our guys are getting old and Chester's been hurt too. Time to start getting younger on defence too.

Ozzy rules!!
OL and S are bigger needs IMO.

It would not surprise me to see a S for the first pick, but a DT would surprise me. I think we get one later in the draft.

starks or wilfork would be good pickups at 20. imo rick will take the #1 guy on his board regardless of position. edit: unless that postition is qb, rb, te, or cb

Last edited by a moderator:
The third DT is used alot in our scheme of defense, mainly rotating the 3 or 4 that we have...that is why Otis Grigsby got playing time last year. We do the same with DEs as well....So, a DT being taken at #20 would not totally catch me off guard, but tend to think that there is really no value at #20 with the DTs in this draft....I still think, because we haven't signed Randall as of yet, that we will go OL. Of course, this prediction needs to be taken with a grain of salt, pending the moves made in front of us....We usually always see someone in the top ten take someone that nobody expects, causing other teams to change their strategy....We have that luxury this year, unlike in previoius years. RS could take a LB, DT, S, OL, WR...heck the only position I can think of that he won't take is a CB or DE....but....???....I could still be wrong...

Donnell Washington....Later rounds

washington40lg-1.jpg

If New England trades up and grabs a RB, I think that will definitely increase our chances of spending our first pick on a defensive tackle. D.W. used Indy-Wayne and NYJ-Moss as explanations behind drafting Fletcher.

There is more value for a DT with the 20th pick than there is for a S with that pick. Sean Jones is the 2nd best safety in the draft, and he would be a reach pick value wise at 20.

After Harris, Wilfork, and Starks at DT, you have Marcus Tubbs, Donnell Washington, Darnell Dockett, and Dwan Edwards who all look like good prospects. Three of those four will be taken in the 20-32 area. Perhaps all four.

Of the four, I would think Tubbs and Washington would interest Miami the most because of their ability to suck up blockers, but Darnell Dockett plays a lot like Russell Maryland used to. He'd bring something different to the table for Miami at the DT spot.

I still believe that Andrews will be their choice if he's there. If not, then it very well may be a defensive tackle they take. If they take a defensive back, it would not surprise me to see them take Matt Ware, who is rated as a CB and a S. He is getting some first round attention from teams like Carolina and Kansas City who are looking for big corners. Ware would play safety if drafted by Miami.

Back
Top Bottom