2002 Dolphins Draft: OL wanted, defense need not apply... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2002 Dolphins Draft: OL wanted, defense need not apply...

Canuck

Starter
Reaction score
With the bulk of our cap space allotted for our defense, I'd say it's time that Miami turned it's attention to the neglected offense. I realize that Wannestadt being a defensive minded coach will always be looking for that differnce maker on D but he'd be wise to continue the trend he started 2 years ago when he selected Todd Wade with our 2nd round pick (and first pick in the draft).

Last year's draft netted us the likes of Chris Chambers (future Miami starter and probable Probowler for years to come) and Travis Minor (great change of pace back and phenon special teamer). Both infused much needed speed to a pedestrian offense. Now it's time we focus our (draft) attention on the 5 lineman up front. Aside from Wade at RT, who else will be a starting Miami offensive lineman 3 years from now? It's time to infuse youth and talent to a much maligned position in Miami since the 89 draft that brought in Richmond Webb (1st round) and Keith Sims (2nd round).

Do us proud Dave and Rick. Make us the proud receipients of a OT and OG with our first 2-3 picks........

I agree to a point. We need a new stud at DT too, We also need a good RB.

The Defense was a major problem this season. Having a 17-0 lead on the Jets, and blowing it. Not being able to stop the Ravens running on us. Hell they couldn't stop anyone from running on them.

We need some beef up front in case Gardener can't go, or to replace him in the next year or two.

without a good line...............

Originally posted by dolfan87
I agree to a point. We need a new stud at DT too, We also need a good RB.

The Defense was a major problem this season. Having a 17-0 lead on the Jets, and blowing it. Not being able to stop the Ravens running on us. Hell they couldn't stop anyone from running on them.

We need some beef up front in case Gardener can't go, or to replace him in the next year or two.
how does one know whether or not lamar or minor can get the job done?:confused:

i definitly think that this draft should be devoted to linemen. but not only offensive but we need to get two new d-linemen through trade signing or drafting. i know that alot of you guys think that dave should just concentrait on our offense but this is a defensive team now and not a very good one at that. it definitly was not the defense of a couple of years ago. i think we need a big run stopper in the middle to replace darryl when his time to go comes and a pass rusher on the opposite side of jason taylor i think if we can address these two positions in the offseason the dolphins have a chance to be one of the top 3 defenses next year. now on the offensive side i think that we have two players that are goin to be starters for years to come(t. wade, m. dixon) and t. ruddy has a few more years in him so i definitly think that we draft 3 o-linemen and go after 1 or 2 via trade or free agency.

In this draft we need the following:

Offensive line: Dixon, Wade, and maybe Ruddy aren't bad, but the rest need to go.

Defesnive line: Either Bowens or Gardener will go, and we need a DE.

Running back: Smith sucks. I really like Duckett from Michigan State.

ice................

Running back: Smith sucks. I really like Duckett from Michigan State.
how can you make that statement after watching him get nailed in the backfield. the 0-line couldn't block anybody, much less pick up a blitz. we've waited this long for a championship, whats one more year, give him another shot. i would love to see lamar run behind the rams o-line!:D

i think that any of you who are more worried about anything other than the offesive line are missing a very important point, sure Ruddy , Dixon, and Wade are a great threesome but they could quickly become a twosome if Dixon decides he doesn't want to play anymore. i know we have other needs but this situation could go from bad to worse rather quickly.

i agree with iceblizzard and 06 but i would like to see lamar go only because he is not talented. i hope we address the o-line this offseason but it seems that the dolphins are interested in using their first round pick on william green or dejaun foster

It ALL starts with the Offensive Line...

For as long as Miami has tried to convert to a power running game (since JJ's arrival), we've only experienced moderate success doing so. Jimmy tried to take a pass-blocking finesse bunch and turn them into mean and nasty drive-blocking terrors. He was not successful. He drafted a some-what talented 3rd round back in Karim who did O.K. but was clearly not the long term answer. Then 3J, Collins and Avery. Wannestadt followed with L.Smith and Minor. Folks, we need the beef up front to block for whomever we choose to be our principle ball carrier because it all starts up front. Hell, Emmitt Smith ran 4 yds down field in his hey day before being touched most times! It just so happened he'd also break the first 2-3 tackles afterwards that's made him a HOF'er.

It's this simple:

1) Big and Nasty OL= plenty of room for L.Smith, T.J. Duckett, William Green, Johnathon Wells or whomever, to run behind.

2) That opens the door for the 1 on 1 coverage outside for Chambers. Result= quick score off the play action pass.

3) That results in our fast, athletic (and smallish) defense resting more and put in position to play pass defense (clearly the strength of our defense) as teams open up their offenses earlier in the game than what they had to do this year. Remember two years ago? It always seemed Miami scored a TD on it's opening drive, therefore forcing teams to throw against our quartet of very talented DB's. We enjoyed a fantastic year in the forced turnover dept. This year, we did not.

4) Final result= legitimate Super Bowl contender

I'm not saying we couldn't use another DT or DE, I'd just like Miami to focus on what is clearly the weakest point on the team. As mentioned above, without immediate help, this unit could actually be worse off next year if something significant is not done this offseason........

Brent Smith is 100% already. My question is, do you think we need a replacement for him? He is a very good run blocker.

Dixon is the one I am worried about. Is his mind right? Will he ever be healthy enough to contribute the way he used to?

Todd Perry has been injured, same with Wade. I want to see Perry perform healthy before I pass judgement on him. Wade we all know is a mauler, just got to get him healthy too.

I am sticking to my theory of moving out of the first round, and gaining extra picks. Wade was a second rounder...:)

I agree with you inFINSible..........

Originally posted by inFINSible
i think that any of you who are more worried about anything other than the offesive line are missing a very important point, sure Ruddy , Dixon, and Wade are a great threesome but they could quickly become a twosome if Dixon decides he doesn't want to play anymore. i know we have other needs but this situation could go from bad to worse rather quickly.

in that Ruddy, Dixon, and Wade are a great threesome, but if Dixon's head isn't into a full fledge comeback, then we need to draft an o-lineman or two in the draft to solidify the line.:confused:

Canidate gets nearly 6 yards a carry behind the Rams offensive line. As for Smith, he didn't get 4 yards a carry when the line was healthy in 2000, he got the big numbers because we ran on every single play.

I'll say it again - that we cannot judge the draft until after the expansion draft and FA since the team could be a lot difference but mid-April, but as of now, we need OL, DL and a starting HB desparately. We have only 1 starting DE returning and could lose 1 DT to retirement or inury and the other the exp. draft or being cut for cap reasons. The OL will suck again next year, unless we address it, but I could see Wanne getting in UFA like we got Spriggs and settling for that. If that is the case, then RB or DL is #1.

there are a couple of FA's............

out there that i would like to trade houston for, providing houston gets em. i'd start talks with houston now!:eek:

Back
Top Bottom