2003 Phinz : My Opinions Thus Far.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2003 Phinz : My Opinions Thus Far....

BLITZKRIEG

~LACUNA LEGIONS~
Reaction score
I've been to the camps, and I've been to both pre-season games. I just got back from Jacksonville, and here is what I've seen thus far....

OFFENSE
=======
The passing game must improve. For some reason, and I can't quite figure out why, but our WR's aren't shining quite as bright as I once expected. WR D. Thompson has been invisible thus far, and even more perplexing is the lack of contribution that WR C. Chambers has shown. Neither one of them has really done anything impressive so far, and that bothers me.....

The OL is not looking all that good either. The thought of starting C S. McKinney over T. Ruddy bothers me as well. I don't think S. McKinney is ready to start at C, and if he is thrown into the starting line-up, I doubt very seriously he'll be considered an upgrade over Ruddy. Ruddy is solid, and he's a safe bet to get the job done. I don't feel the same way about McKinney yet.

The run blocking hasn't been all that great, and the pass protection looks worse. They must protect Jay much better if we plan on staying healthy at QB this year. All of the QB's have been under constant pressure this pre-season, and all have been sacked or hurried far too often. This must improve.....

The offense overall doesn't look improved. I like the thought of the new WR's catching on, but thus far, only WR S. Simmons has shown anything worth mentioning. That's a shame because he wasn't even really considered a possibility of making this team until just recently....

The other WR's, like D. Thompson, C. Chambers, and J. McKnight need to step up very fast. They haven't done anything to ensure any confidence thus far, and that is a very frustrating thought considering we were in the bottom of the NFL in passing offense last year.....

DEFENSE
=======

You may hate me for saying this, but from what I've seen thus far, our defense has not improved. This is really scary, particularly because the new players {J. Seau / S. Knight} have not been getting the job done IMO. OLB J. Seau is a strong contributor in the lockeroom, but his play thus far on the field has been less than impressive. The same holds true for SS S. Knight. I've yet to see him make any contribution in the pass defense. Both of these players have made our defense slower, and this could come back to hurt us once teams start game planning against that weakness.....

Right now, the defense worries me. There have been gaping holes in the middle of the field all pre-season long, and QB's, {even the bench riders}, have been picking us apart with ease.....

The penalties!!!!......There have been far too many penalties and mistakes IMO. This team doesn't look like they're on the same page half the time. They look confused at a time when they need to be more focused. This must change.....

Poor tackling. The defense has had serveral opportunities to either sack the QB, or stuff the RB, and have not been doing it consistantly enough. I've seen more missed tackles than ever thus far, and once again they aren't finishing teams off when they have a chance.

All around, the defense looks sluggish. I don't understand why, but they don't seem motivated to the task at hand. This defense is not looking nearly as comfortable as the defense in New England right now, and they changed their whole formation. This bothers me because if this doesn't improve, I've got a sad feeling we'll be seeing more 4th quarter meltdowns this year.....

The team as a whole looks confused. I guess that's the best word to describe it. I'm not saying "the sky is falling", but this team still has plenty work to do IMO.....

Pre-season stinks, and it's hard to get an accurate assumption of what your team will look like after it's all over. Let's hope things get better from what we've seen thus far......

PHINZ RULE!!!!:fire:

I think the Key thing that is missing to this entire post is this is the pre-season and many players only play at about 75% or less. We won't really know what the fish will be like this year untill the regular season starts and probably not untill the second game cause you can't consider Houston as a very serious challenge, They have potential but it should be a cake walk for the fish.

This really is at odds with what I've been hearing from others sources, particularly as far as the WRs are concerned. The Herald recently reported all three of the starting WRs (Chambers, Thompson and McKnight) have been practicing strong.

As far as the defense is concerned, they've been limited as far as contact in drills. This probably has dulled their instincts somewhat -- a problem which should be fixed by the regular season opener.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good ol' Blitzkrieg...Welcome back...I see your friend negativity has followed you on your journey through Jax and Miami...
I couldn`t agree more though...
As you pointed out and as i`ve seen in all reports D.Thompson has been invisible, QB`s have been picking us apart and the whole team looks confused...
This is a disaster...:(

Oh wait...it is preseaon..and you're the king of pessimism..
How could i forget...
:hitself:

On a team with younger players you see a lot more excitement during preseason. Our defense is stacked with veterans that just view preseason as glorified practice with the added danger of increased injury risk.

Zach doesn't take it seriously, JT doesn't take it seriously, even Junior Seau doesn't take it seriously and you can see this when he goes toward a tackle pile and tries to actually AVOID laying the wood on the guy he's tackling so as not to hurt either of them. These are the guys who make the most plays on our D. When season starts up, I agree because they didn't take PS too seriously they might be a little sluggish in Game 1, but we could sleepwalk through the Texans game and still come away with 15 sacks and 10 interceptions. Vets know when to turn it on and off and have the ability to do that. Younger guys aren't able to just go from lacsidaisical preseason play to serious season play.

This team has looked very good during training camp and practice, but in game time situations, they don't look nearly as focused IMO....

The thing is, that in practice, the QB's have had time to find the WR's. That's why they've looked impressive. Thus far against Tampa and Jacksonville, the pressure on the QB's has been causing problems in our passing game. That's what I've seen.....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

I'll start with you're right about Chambers, he's been absent. Then again he ran a fantastic route and made a great fake against one of the Jags' starting CBs to go deep on that one play and it should have been a TD. Jay Fiedler throws that ball in the right spot, and Chris Chambers all the sudden is having "a great" preseason. Thompson I'm really not sure what the heck you're talking about. He had some nice catches against the Bucs and he had one INCREDIBLE gadsden-like catch down the sidelines against the Jags. Put together his numbers from both games because he played less than a half in each game, and I bet the numbers look pretty decent.

All of the QB's have been under constant pressure this pre-season, and all have been sacked or hurried far too often. This must improve.....

I do take a little bit of issue here Blitz. Fiedler hasn't been sacked yet. I don't see how zero sacks amounts to "all of the QB's" having been sacked too much. And Fiedler has been hurried, I believe once this preseason. When Griese comes in (and so too some of those backup OLmen like Whitley, Yates, Jerman, etc) he's been sacked like 3 times. I guess thats too many times for the amount of time Griese has been in, but against Tampa this was admittedly because he was holding onto the ball too long. And against Jacksonville, the sack came on a super package blitz where they sent everything but the kitchen sink and somehow, some way, we managed to make the right reads and pick up EVERYONE, except that Marco Coleman was lined up at DT opposite Taylor Whitley, and in a straight up one-on-one matchup with no blitzers coming Whitley's way, Coleman beat him with an inside move and went straight to the QB.

As for D...I agree in places.

Seau so far, less than impressive.

Some missed opportunities (sacks, interceptions)

Too many penalties

Some missed tackles.

But if the D ever looks confused, its because they are wondering why they have a base 4-3 cover 2 scheme sitting out there on the field when the offense opposite them is showing a spread 4 WR formation with some kinda stunted up tricky backfield or something. Looking at the game tape seriously you see that happening. Schemes so far have been so vanilla its ridiculous with the exception of a few plays they toss in a wrinkle they've been working on to see if it works, and most often when they've done that, it worked. :)

I've seen more missed tackles than ever thus far, and once again they aren't finishing teams off when they have a chance.

I think that may be a bit of an exaggeration. There haven't been THAT many missed tackles, especially not by the first teamers. And as for finishing off teams...

Dude, the only part of preseason games that DOESN'T matter is who wins the damn game. Something like "not finishing teams off" is the LAST thing you need to project from preseason to the regular season. The "finishing teams off" is done by the 4th stringers...30 some odd guys who won't even be on the roster come Houston.

My worries on defense are as follows: Sammy Knight still taking bad angles and being caught out of position, Junior Seau still digesting the defense and admittedly not able to go out and make plays until he has it fully digested, Zach Thomas continually getting toasted for short yardage because he gives too much cushion, and lastly I really don't think T-Buck has looked as good as I thought he would. But then again, if you're not seeing a CB's number come up on the screen, that usually is a good thing, isn't it?

Also I like Zgonina and the push he gets, but this is two games now where I've seen the 2nd team defense, guys who will be relied upon during the regular season, give up first downs to QBs who scramble. If that doesn't get fixed, then QBs who face us will suddenly develop the ability to scramble like Trent Green did against us in KC.

Does anyone remember last pre-season? Except for maybe that McMichael and Lucas looked pretty good. Didn't think so. Don't get worked up over pre-season. This is a veteran team that barring serious injuries will be very good this season.

Maybe it's just me, but I expected more on both sides of the ball during the Jacksonville game. I will admit it was a better showing than the Tampa game, but the Jags aren't nearly as complete as the Bucs are as a team....

We should have easily put this team away when it was 13-3. Instead, the Jags rallied back, and ended up winning on a last minute TD. It was very sickening, and an all too familiar problem this defense has been dealing with for years now...

If someone asked me if I think this problem is fixed, as of today, I'd have to say no. I don't care if it's the 2nd or 3rd string defense out there or not. They need to play better. The 2nd and 3rd string offenses have been moving down the field with ease against us....

That bothers me because it's a direct reflection of the lack of solid depth on our defense. Even though it's only pre-season, and these players aren't considered starters, they should still be good enough to shut down opposing 2nd and 3rd string offenses IMO.....

It's just my opinion, and I guess I'm worried becuase I expected more from this team at this stage.....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

The 1972 team started off 0-2 in the preseason. I was only six at the time, but I started a petition to get rid of Coach Shula. I saved my milk money in order to call in to talk radio on the payphone at recess, I wanted Griese outta there!!! A young Hank Goldberg would tell me "Get off my show, go back to the sandbox you little jagoff!!!" By the following January I had developed three moral convictions I carry with me to this day- 1. Don't call talk radio, they'll make you look dumb every time. 2. Drink your milk, does a body good. 3. Don't cast a pall of doom and gloom on the season based on two preseason games. :D

dude r u freakin kidding me?!?!??! ur talkin bout a 4th strigners. YOUR WORKIN YOURSELF UP for NOTHING. I thought u were a bills man playing a joke or something. You seriously need to understand what pre-season is. And if the 3rd 4th stringers suck. we cut em..end of strory... NONE OF THIS MATTERS come Houston.

I dont see how you can compare a rally against our third string Defense made up of alot of guys who wont even be on the team in a week to our starters..

You've got to be kidding, right?

Originally posted by BLITZKRIEG
We should have easily put this team away when it was 13-3. Instead, the Jags rallied back, and ended up winning on a last minute TD. It was very sickening, and an all too familiar problem this defense has been dealing with for years now...

It's just my opinion, and I guess I'm worried becuase I expected more from this team at this stage.....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

When it was 13-3 the "game" was virtually OVER. If first stringers for BOTH sides had stayed in for the rest of the game you'd probably have had a final score of 27-10 or something.

For the most part, I think it IS "just your opinion". Personally, I think you are expecting WAY too much "at this stage".

I'm guessing you'll be singing a different tune after the Atlanta game. And, if not, definitely after the N.O. game.

Be patient, grasshopper. ;)

Originally posted by BLITZKRIEG
This team has looked very good during training camp and practice, but in game time situations, they don't look nearly as focused IMO....

The thing is, that in practice, the QB's have had time to find the WR's. That's why they've looked impressive. Thus far against Tampa and Jacksonville, the pressure on the QB's has been causing problems in our passing game. That's what I've seen.....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

I thought are pass blocking was pretty decent actually. Atleast with Fiedler in and most of the 1st string.

Back
Top Bottom