2014 NFL Draft Prospects | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2014 NFL Draft Prospects

Do you think Easley makes it to the 3rd round?
If he would not have gotten injured in his senior season, I think you are lookng at a top 20 pick. With the question of the injury, I can see him possibly dropping to the 2nd. If he were at our pick in the 3rd, I would jump for joy. He has not been on the field since his injury, but if he checks out medically and he is there in the 3rd - it would be a gift from God.

I would be amazed to see him still there in the third. Tank Carradine was taken at pick 40. Easley, assuming his injury is healing properly, will go in the top 60 for sure.

I would be amazed to see him still there in the third. Tank Carradine was taken at pick 40. Easley, assuming his injury is healing properly, will go in the top 60 for sure.
I like Easley, but 2nd might be too rich for a team like Miami that has so many immediate needs. It could be a loaded squad like Seattle that takes him that high. The Seahawks can afford to take more risks.

[video=youtube;Z-aTUI9ACA4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-aTUI9ACA4[/video]

66.CB Marcus Roberson, Florida 6'0" 195

Analysis
STRENGTHS:
Good size and length for the position and uses his long arms to disrupt receivers. Fluid movement skills with quick feet and body control to blanket in coverage - smooth hips and balanced transition in bump-and-run.
Good route anticipation and stays patient and controlled, but also the recovery quickness to take chances. Instinctive and alert to make positive plays on the ball. Barely gets lost with a good feel in coverage, understanding when to look for the ball.
Very physical and fearless in coverage and aggressive in pursuit. Works hard to gain ideal body position and knows how to use the sideline. Excellent competitor and won't back down from bigger targets. Experience on special teams as a punt returner. Has worked hard to get stronger in the weight room.
WEAKNESSES: Needs to improve his discipline in coverage - too much physical contact downfield. Will get lackadaisical at times with his technique and play too tall or get grabby. Has the read/react quickness to click-and-close in a hurry but needs to do it more consistently on underneath throws - will allow his hips to be turned too easily in bail technique.
Needs to consistently wrap to finish hits and break down better in space - lack of strength shows vs. the run.
Durability concerns after battling knee and ankle injuries over his career - missed five games in 2013. Character needs investigated after an alcohol arrest in Sept. 2011 and a one-game suspension in 2013 (vs. South Carolina) for a violation of team rules.
COMPARES TO: Alterraun Verner, CB, Tennessee Titans - Like Verner, Roberson isn't the biggest or fastest, but they both use their length well and use foot quickness and instincts to be effective.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1877259/marcus-roberson

Last edited by a moderator:
[video=youtube;pL49NJkXTlQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL49NJkXTlQ[/video]

67.QB Zach Mettenberger, Louisiana St. 6'5" 235

2013 ASSOCIATED PRESS ALL-SEC HONORABLE MENTION: Zach Mettenberger, QB, LSU, 6-5, 235, Sr,...Mettenberger leads the SEC and ranks third nationally in passing efficiency at 171.4, and he also led the conference in passing yards per completion at 16.1. He ranks third in the league in passing yards with 3,082, becoming the third quarterback in LSU history to cross the 3,000-yard plateau in a season, joining Rohan Davey and JaMarcus Russell. Mettenberger finished the season 192-of-296 passing for 3,082 yards with 22 touchdowns and eight interceptions. - LSU football
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=89700&draftyear=2014&genpos=qb

Analysis
STRENGTHS:
Tall, strong frame and looks the part. Good downfield vision with his stature. Strong arm to plant and fire, possessing rocket arm strength and plus velocity to deliver frozen ropes. Makes throws to the opposite hash look easy and trusts his arm. Balanced with good weight distribution in his release. Stands tall in the pocket and stares down the gun barrel. Keeps his eyes elevated and downfield to deliver in the face of pressure. Quicker eyes and timing to work through his progressions and make the best read. Improved patience to check down instead of forcing it. Very good anticipation and chemistry with his targets. Not afraid to throw it away if necessary. Boosted confidence in 2013 and came through in pressure situations where he faltered in 2012. Good placement to give his targets a chance and can take some off his fastball when needed. Not the most mobile, but not a statue. Not afraid to tuck and pick up chunks of yards with his legs. Gutsy competitor and coachable. Works hard to hone his craft. Improved production as a senior and showed better command of the position.

WEAKNESSES: Has some mobility, but also heavy-footed with lethargic movements and a sluggish set-up. Room to improve his pre-snap recognition and needs to better identify pressures to quicken his physical delivery and mental process. Needs to better feel blitz and show better awareness of his surroundings. Improved decision-making and confidence, but will still make some poor decisions and stare down reads. Bad habit of predetermining throws and needs to continue to develop his diverse reads. Some base issues, getting too wide or not always properly resetting once the pocket collapses. Accuracy drops when forced from his spot. Still learning touch and when to use his change-up or drive it. Benefited from a strong offensive line and above average targets at receiver. Quiet demeanor and needs to continue and develop his vocal leadership and command of the huddle. Durability concerns after suffering a torn ACL (left knee) in Dec. 2013, which could keep him from working out for teams prior to the NFL Draft. Strong off-field character concerns after a March 2010 arrest for sexual battery and alcohol consumption ? also has a history of recreational drug use and overall immaturity, but has grown and stayed clean the past two seasons at LSU.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664450/zach-mettenberger

[video=youtube;856gP6Etu-k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=856gP6Etu-k[/video]

68.RB Tre Mason, Auburn 5'10" 205

Record-breaking sends Mason in search of NFL dream...Wearing an Auburn jacket and shirt and carrying an Auburn cap in his hand, running back Tre Mason said Thursday he will pursue his dream of playing in the NFL. Three days after he led Auburn to within 13 seconds of a national championship and minutes after meeting with Auburn coach Gus Malzahn, Mason said at a press conference that will declare for the NFL draft, passing up his senior season. "I want to start by telling the Auburn family I appreciate them and I love them," Mason said. "I loved playing for Coach Malzahn. We had the best year, a great time. He recruited me out of high school. This was a dream come true by coming to Auburn."

Mason finished his Auburn career in spectacular style, running 34 times for 195 yards in the BCS Championship Game. In the SEC Championship Game, he ran 40 times for 343 yards. He broke Bo Jackson's single-season record with 1816 rushing and broke the school record with 23 rushing touchdowns. Mason gained 1,002 yards last season on a team that struggled to score. For his career, he has 2,979 yards, the most after three seasons of any back in Auburn history. With 1:19 left in the BCS Championship Game at the Rose Bowl, Mason bolted 37 yards for a touchdown to give Auburn a 31-27 lead. But Florida State scored with 13 seconds left to snatch away the victory. It wasn't until that was done, Mason said, that he started to focus on whether to move on to the NFL.

Mason, who said he received a third-round grade from the NFL draft advisory board, said he leaned heavily on his family in making his decision. "My dad played a big role in this," Mason said. "The lifespan of a running back in the NFL is very short. I had a great year. Also Coach Malzahn helped in this decision. He said I had a very good year and he was expecting it." - Auburn football
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=119564&draftyear=2015&genpos=RB

Auburn running back Tre Mason was named to a second-team All-American by USA Today on Wednesday.

MOBILE, Ala. -- For former Auburn running back Tre Mason, one question comes up whenever discussing his NFL potential: how will his lack of size translate to the next level?

Mason is listed at 5-foot-10 but is likely a few inches shorter. He became Auburn's workhorse under new coach Gus Malzahn in 2013, rushing for 1,816 yards and 23 touchdowns on 317 carries en route to being a Heisman Trophy finalist. But it was his last three games in which he amassed 663 yards that brought about the NFL buzz.

"He plays bigger than his listed size and finishes every run," Senior Bowl executive director Phil Savage said.

Mason knows that the critics have questions about his size, and he addressed the issue when he initially declared for the draft.

"I guess they are just going to have to watch tape," Mason told reporters last month.

"I'm not afraid to put my nose in there and get dirty. I feel like I can run between the tackles and outside the tackles. I try to be very dynamic and run the ball in different ways."

One scout mentioned names like New Orleans Saints running back Darren Sproles and San Diego Chargers running back Danny Woodhead as players Mason should model himself after. Sproles, at 5-foot-6, and Woodhead, at 5-foot-8, both make a living on third down while occasionally running between the tackles.

"The way the running back position is going, most people are carving it up into different roles and I absolutely believe he can find a role in the NFL," Savage said.

Savage said Mason's lack of size won't be NFL teams biggest question when evaluating him for the draft.

"What he's going to have to prove in the spring," Savage said, "is his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield and his ability to pass protect because you didn't get to see him do much of that in Auburn's system."

Mason had just 12 receptions for 163 yards and one touchdown reception.

No running back was taken in the first round of last year's draft, and Mason likely won't be the one to change that as he received a third round grade from the NFL Draft Advisory board.

While Mason isn't projected to be a first-round pick, some are still high on him.

NFL.com's Gil Brandt projects Mason to be the first running back taken in the draft.

Brandt is also a former NFL scout.

"In terms of skills, he doesn't have to improve anything," Brandt wrote in his evaluation of Mason.

"He can catch the ball really well, he's got good vision and he's tough. I believe he will be a real threat as a runner in the NFL.

"And he can also do a lot of other things for you, including returning kicks."

Mason returned 15 kickoffs for 395 yards, including a 100 yard touchdown return.
Read more here: http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2014/01/20/2910126/tre-masons-size-questioned-by.html#storylink=cpy

Did I miss Calvin Pryor?

[video=youtube_share;b3y2XwXujkk]http://youtu.be/b3y2XwXujkk[/video]

[video=youtube;h6mdq9bsjTg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6mdq9bsjTg#t=43[/video]

69.TE Troy Niklas, Notre Dame 6'7" 270

Notre Dame tight end Troy Niklas will skip his senior season and enter the NFL draft, the fourth Irish player to announce he is leaving with a year of eligibility left. Michael Bertsch, Notre Dame's director of football media relations, confirmed on Friday the 6-foot-7, 270-pound junior from Fullerton, Calif., has informed coach Brian Kelly of his decision. "I have made the very difficult decision to pursue my childhood dream," Niklas said in a statement. He intends to return to Notre Dame and earn his degree.

Niklas started all 13 games for the Irish and was third on the team in receiving with 32 catches for 498 yards and five touchdowns. Niklas is the fourth Irish player with eligibility left to declare for this year's draft. He joins defensive linemen Louis Nix III and Stephon Tuitt and running back George Atkinson III. Niklas, Tuitt and Atkinson are all leaving after just three years at Notre Dame, which nearly doubles since 1995 the number of Irish players who have left Notre Dame for the NFL after three years in school. - AP Sports
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=119824&draftyear=2015&genpos=TE

Strengths
Size:
At 6'6" and 270 pounds, Niklas is a massive tight end target. He will tower over both linebacks and safeties at the next level, which will make him an excellent red zone target.
Physicality: Niklas does a tremendous job using that size to the best of his ability. He is overpowing at the point of contact, which is an indication that safeties are going to have a hard time going up against him one-on-one in the NFL.
Blocking: Niklas is likely the best inline blocker in the entire 2014 draft class. He does a tremendous job engaging would be tacklers at the line in the running game. In addition, the Golden Domer is able to get the best of his strength/size by getting low on the blocks and driving the defender back. Down the field, Niklas does a great job understanding where he needs to be and what his blocking assignments are.
Athleticism/Role: Niklas can line up at multiple positions on offense. He's a natural tight end between the hashes, but also has the ability to play in the slot and on the outside at wide receiver. In fact, the talented youngster can even act as a lead blocker, if necessary. Considering that he's 6'6" and 270, Niklas' athleticism is also a bit of a surprise. Clocked with a 4.85 40-yard dash, he might not have great down hill speed. That means little, as his ability to get down the field is surprising.
Weaknesses
Inconsistent Hands:
Niklas does possesses decent hands, but they are a tad inconsistent. Sometimes, he catches the ball with his body. This led to a lot of surprising drops this past season for the Irish. Once in the NFL, this will become a larger issue with the hard-hitting safeties that he will line up against. He needs to be more consistent catching the ball with his hands at the point of contact.
Route Running: Niklas wasn't asked to run a whole lot of routes at Notre Dame. Most of the passes that were thrown to him were on seam/fly routes. While that's an important characterstic of playing tight end in the NFL, Niklas needs to become a well-rounded route runner.
Contested Catches: You will notice that Niklas struggles making the contested catch. This goes to him letting the ball hit his body, which is never a good thing. The tight end prospect tends to struggle catching the ball and maintaining possession at the highest point prior to contact. This will be a major issue at the next level, unless he can fix it.
Ball Security: Niklas doesn't necessarily hold the ball like a loaf of bread. Instead, his primary struggle is putting it away between his midsection and arms, which has caused it to be jarred loose at times. Again, this will be an issue at the next level.
NFL Comparison
Andrew Quarless, Green Bay Packers: Let me make something clear here. Niklas compares to the Quarless that we see today, not the player that was drafted out of Penn State back in 2010. This is important to note because Niklas is a much better blocker than Quarless was when he entered the draft.
While Niklas stands three inches taller than Quarless, the comparisons stand in terms of inline blocking, catch radius and physicality. From purely a scouting standpoint, which is all I look at when drawing comparisons, these two are extremely similar. With that said, Niklas is the more-skilled player.
Draft Outlook
The combine should be good to Niklas because he measures up well with what the scouts look for in Indianapolis. He should be a sweetheart when it comes to the weight room and weigh-ins, which won't surprise anyone. I do want to see how Niklas handles the route-tree drill, better known as "The Gauntlet," which will give us a much better indication of where he is there.
If Niklas impresses at Notre Dame's Pro Day and at the combine, he could easily sneak into the back end of the first round. While I have Eric Ebron and Jace Amaro currently ranked ahead of Niklas, it's not unrealistic that he surpasses the latter.
http://edraft.com/nfl/news/2014-nfl-draft-troy-niklas-scouting-report/

I think Niklas could easily find himself in the first rnd. I wish we had the luxury to take a shot on him.

[video=youtube;audmmZPZjYU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=audmmZPZjYU#t=188[/video]

70.OG Joel Bitonio, Nevada 6'4" 307

2013 ALL-MOUNTAIN WEST FIRST TEAM (COACHES/MEDIA): OL Joel Bitonio, Sr., Nevada,...Senior tackle Joel Bitonio was named Nevada's Basalite Big Blocker of the Year as he capped his career with an outstanding season for the Union. Bitonio also earned a Striker Award. - Nevada football
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=115133&draftyear=2014&genpos=OT

Name: Joel BitonioBitonio 3
School: Nevada
Height: 6’4″
Weight: 307 pounds
Arm Length: 33″
Hand Size: 9 7/8″
Accolades: 1st Team All-Mountain West, Nevada’s Big Blocker of the Year

Joel Bitonio is a guy that has gained a lot of momentum on his way towards the NFL Draft. He exceeded many people’s expectation in the 2013 season and had some really strong performances against top teams like Florida State and UCLA, where he took on top prospect Anthony Barr. He carried over his productive season into a strong week of work at the Senior Bowl where he played every position on the line including center. Although Bitonio started at left tackle in 2013 for Nevada, he will most likely be making the transition to guard in the NFL due to his size.
Strengths
It always raises my eye when scouts say a player needs to move from tackle to guard in the NFL. There are generally two reasons: 1) the player does not have the athleticism to play tackle or 2) the player does not have the length. I am much more comfortable with the latter and this is the category Joel Bitonio falls into. While he doesn’t look explosive, Bitonio is a smooth athlete with really good footwork. He uses “short, choppy” steps in both the run game and the pass, which is what lineman are taught to do starting in Pop Warner. This allows him to maintain his balance and quickly shift his weight when the defender makes any type of counter move.
Another thing that is noticeable is that he doesn’t waste steps. A lot of linemen get themselves in trouble with unnecessary steps that will often times get them off balance or out of position. This is something that was highlighted often in 2013 from Brian Winters. Joel Bitonio does not do this, which is key, because it can be an extremely hard habit to break.
In the run game, Bitonio shows adequate power and aggression. He will finish blocks when he has guys off-balance as seen below. He can be dominant when down blocking inside in Nevada’s Zone Read scheme. (Nevada’s scheme is a little different. It looks like they may be called QB Keeps instead of pure Read plays) He absolutely manhandled UCLA’s defensive Tackle all day.
Bitonio is solid in run blocking, but his real strength comes in pass protection. This is where his footwork, really comes into play. He is rarely out of position because of it and when he is out of position, he’s still usually able to run the defender past the quarterback. He also shows great patience. He doesn’t lunge at pass rushers which is especially important against 3-4 outside linebackers. It also helps him pass off twisting defensive linemen.
Weaknesses
It’s a tale of two halves when it comes to Bitonio’s body. While he has excellent footwork, his upperbody leaves a lot to be desired technically. When I saw that his arm length was 33″ inches, I was surprised they were that long. Watching the tape, it looks like he is playing with 30″ arms. Part of the reason he plays with poor length is that his pad level is often too high. This is the main reason why scouts want him to move to guard.
So why is arm length that big of a deal? Arm length is an important factor for linemen to win the “hand fight”. In pass rushing, the guy who is able to get his hands on the other guy first can control the other. Bitonio often times lets his defender get their hands on him first. When you watch his tape, you will see him get bent backwards as defenders extend their arms on him. They crazy thing was he still won a lot of blocks when this happened because he never stopped moving his feet. In the NFL, he won’t win these blocks and will need to start run blocking through his hips and not his back. The main reason why he cannot play left tackle in the NFL is because his one glaring weakness is one that NFL defenders will easily be able to exploit.
Bitonio allows the defender to get his hands inside. This poor technique didn’t hurt him too much in college, but it could be detrimental at the next level.
Another thing he struggles with is run blocking in space. In the Fresno State game this year, Fresno linemen lined up about a full yard off the line of scrimmage. Bitonio really struggled run blocking with that much space between he and the defender, often times falling on his face before contact.
Conclusion
Joel Bitonio is an excellent offensive lineman who can probably step in and start in the NFL from day one. He has a foundation to build on in his footwork and athleticism. With some tweaking to his knee and waist bend which can help him play with more length, he can be a solid starting guard for many years to come.
Bitonio is currently projected to be a day two selection and has been gaining steam ever since he “stonewalled” Anthony Barr. Because of this a lot of mock drafts have him going in the early to mid second round. In my opinion, I think he will drop lower than that for two main reasons.
The first is his performance against Anthony Barr is being overblown. Not to take anything away from him, he did play well, but Nevada utilized either an H-Back or Tailback on nearly every play to help against Barr. Having that back there took away Barr’s outside move and made him a one dimensional pass rusher. I don’t think scouts and coaches will be as swayed by this performance as some of the media has been.
The second is his arm length. He is climbing back up the board because of his longer than expected arm measurement at the Senior Bowl, but as teams continue to watch the tape, they will see a guy who plays much shorter than his measurements would have you believe.
Because of these reasons, I think he could be on the board for the Jets in the second round with an outside shot of being around for their third round pick. The Jets probably have other needs that they should draft in the second, but if he is there in the third this could be a great value pick.
http://turnonthejets.com/2014/02/2014-nfl-draft-prospect-joel-bitonio/

[video=youtube;0_BxWqRzmG4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_BxWqRzmG4[/video]

71.OT James Hurst, North Carolina 6'5" 296

12/04/13 - 2013 ALL-ACC FIRST TEAM (MEDIA): T James Hurst, North Carolina, 6-7, 305, Sr., Plainfield, Ind. (118)...Has been selected First Team All-ACC for the 2013 college football season by the Atlantic Coast Sports Media Association (ACSMA). - North Carolina football
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=108800&draftyear=2014&genpos=OT

Name: James Hurst

School: University of North Carolina

Class: Senior

Draft Stock: Falling due to broken leg in Belk Bowl

Draft Range: Mid-second to Mid-third (could be even lower depending on the status of his leg)

Strengths:
The obvious here is Hurst’s size and athletic ability. He is a 6’7” 305 pound monster who can move well for a man of his size and stature. Not to mention, he hails from a school that runs a zone-blocking scheme offense – which is exactly what Miami would like to utilize.
Secondly, Hurst is a very good run blocker. Offensive linemen love to bash heads with defenders and get rough. Hurst looks like one of those throw-back offensive linemen who just want to beat the hell out of you. Once he makes contact with an assignment he quickly uses his hands to punch and drive.
James Hurst is a very athletic man for a football player of his size, and he pulls very well for a tackle. North Carolina uses quick screens and dump-offs to get their offensive linemen out in front of their backs/receivers. Hurst is a text-book pulling offensive tackle.
Lastly, he is solid in pass protection. He’s not phenomenal by any means – we’ll get to that below – but he does possess the skills to become a great offensive tackle in pass pro. He is tall, lanky, and moves well for a big man.

Weaknesses:
James Hurst’s leg injury was so gruesome that ESPN was unwilling to show the replay of what happened during the broadcast of the Belk Bowl. We can assume here, his leg injury was fairly significant. His biggest weakness right now is facing this question; how soon will you be healthy? He’s going to hear this question from every team he interviews with leading up to the draft. For his sake, hopefully he’s ready to go by training camp.
Outside of Hurst’s leg injury, his biggest weakness is his technique and footwork. He’s very slopping in these areas. He rises out of his stance in a funky fashion; he chases rushers instead of mirroring them; he doesn’t use his long-ass arms to his advantage; I could really go on for days. The good news for teams and Hurst is that these are all coachable flaws.
Hurst is a 6’7” monster and he sure as hell plays like it. Well, not the monster part at times. He needs to play lower. If I was taught anything during my high school football years it’s that the lowest man always wins. Hurst needs to bend better at the hips to sink a bit lower and play with power.
James Hurst could end up making a NFL team very, very happy that they take a chance on him. That being said, it all depends on the status of his leg injury. If he will not be ready by training camp, he may end up falling quite low (Possibly a third day pick? Dare I say it???).
Hurst would be an excellent fit in Miami at either tackle position, which is an issue I am having with Hurst. Is he a left tackle? Or is he a right tackle? I think what it all boils down to is whether or not Miami’s new GM can find a true left tackle to protect Ryan Tannehill’s blind-side. If the new GM can indeed find a LT, I would love to see Miami take Hurst in the third round and stick him at right tackle.
http://phinphanatic.com/2014/01/15/miami-dolphins-scouts-take-unc-ot-james-hurst/

[video=youtube;fZTS6fmfldo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZTS6fmfldo[/video]

72.C Jonotthan Harrison, Florida 6'3" 304

Strengths:
Size
- Jonotthan Harrison possesses good size for the center position (6-3, 310). Harrison has a lean, muscular built and could easily add muscle to his frame.
Athleticism- Harrison is a very good athlete with quick feet and shows good overall movement skills, specifically the ability to change directions.
Strength/Power/Explosiveness- Plays with good upper body strength and explosion. Shows the ability to deliver a quick, violent blow and is able to lockout and control defenders. Displays good core strength. Has good explosion and is able to uncoil, lift and drive defenders at the point of attack.
Attitude- Plays with physicality and competes on every play, you can see excitement and emotion when he plays the game. Looks to finish off blocks and pick up blocks down field, which to me is all attitude and “want to.”
Base/Pad level/Foot work- Consistently plays with an ideal base, never bringing his feet close together which allows him to be effective in the run game and in pass protection. Because of his good base and core strength, Harrison is able to maintain good pad level and plays with good knee bend.
Hands- Harrison may possess the most violent and heavy hands amongst center’s in the nation. With the combination of his upper body explosion and tight hand carriage, Harrison is a fearless puncher and understands the importance of using his hands to effectively stop the charge of defenders, especially tight-shaded nose tackles.
Run Blocking- Harrison excels in the zone blocking scheme, showing the proper foot work and technique that allows him to effectively combo block with the guard, securing and getting push on defensive linemen, while keeping his shoulder’s square and coming off on linebackers. Shows explosion at the point of attack, engaging defensive linemen quickly. Effectively able to cut off penetrating defensive linemen when asked to back-block and down-block, for pulling guards. Takes good angles when releasing and climbing to the next level to block linebackers and shows the ability to dip his hips, shoot his hands and latch on defenders at the 2nd level. As I mentioned earlier, Harrison takes a violent approach when he looks to finish off blocks in the run-game.
Pass Protection- Harrison is able to snap the ball and get in to his pass set quickly, which allows him more space to work against tight shades. Harrison shows the ability to set back and over, establish a post-foot and mirror defenders in 1-on-1 situations. Harrison shows a violent punch and is able to gain hand placement to control defenders. When uncovered, does a good job helping his guards. Noticeably identifies and points out blitzers and/or line stunts.
Areas of Improvement:
Lower body Strength- In my opinion, the majority of Jonotthan Harrison’s issues stem from his lack of functional lower body strength. Although Harrison shows explosiveness off the ball at the point of attack, in solo situations, he often struggles to get push on defenders at the point of attack. In pass protection, he gives up too much ground and gets push back by the bull rush, because he is not able to generate force by digging his feet in, dropping his hips and anchoring.
Sustaining blocks- There are times when Harrison is engaged, both on the line of scrimmage and in space and can not maintain blocks because of two main issues:
1)Upper body gets too far extended out over his toes with out bringing his hips and his feet.
2)He lets his feet go dead after engaging defensive linemen or on contact when blocking
linebackers.
Both of these factors lead to Harrison falling off of blocks or allows defenders to shed his blocks, which both ultimately results in him ending up on the ground. I would like to see Harrison roll his hips, bring his feet and accelerate feet through contact. Adding functional lower body strength may help this.
Overall:
Jonotthan Harrison possesses some tools that make him a very intriguing prospect. His natural athleticism and physical demeanor really distinguishes him as one of the top center prospects in the nation. I truly believe with the proper development of strength and technique, Harrison will be a day 1 NFL starter and has a chance to be special, he is not talked about as much as the other “big name” centers, but in my opinion is one of the top 3 centers in the 2014 NFL draft.
http://beyondthecombine.com/72-jonotthan-harrison-c-florida/

[video=youtube;dS3Ibe_SMFk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS3Ibe_SMFk[/video]

73.DT Will Sutton, Arizona St. 6'1" 315

02/20/14 - 2014 NFL Draft Scout Pre-Combine Top 64 Prospects: 64. Will Sutton, DT, Arizona State, 6-1, 315, 4.94, 2-3...After missing the 2011 season for academic reasons, Sutton's play the next two years made that off-field issue, well, academic. He earned the Pac-12 Pat Tillman Defensive Player of the Year in both 2012 and 2013, a back-to-back feat accomplished previously by only Steve Emtman, a No. 1 overall pick in 1992. Sutton Has a compact build that gives him leverage advantage over most NFL offensive linemen. He has a knack of timing the snap and shows an explosive burst to slip through gaps. - Frank Cooney, The Sports Xchange
01/25/14 - 2014 Senior Bowl, Missed Opportunity: Will Sutton, DT, Arizona State - Sutton's quickness and power helped him record a tackle for loss early in the game, itself, but in weighing in at a soft 315 pounds at under 6-foot-1 did him no favors with scouts. There is no question that the reigning Defensive Player of the Year possesses talent but his commitment towards reaching his full potential could push him deep into the draft's second day.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=90650&draftyear=2014&genpos=DT

Analysis
Strengths:
Has a short, compact build that gives him a natural leverage advantage over most NFL offensive linemen. Times the snap well, flashing an explosive burst to slip through gaps. Possesses quick feet, balance and lateral agility to avoid cut-blocks. Accelerates very quickly to close on the ballcarrier. Possesses surprisingly strong and active hands to rip free from blocks and to rip away at the ball when he sees it exposed (three forced fumbles in 2012). Experienced at virtually every position along the defensive line. Instinctive defender who locates the ball well and hustles to get involved in the action. Peels away from blocks, spinning to rip away and pursue laterally or downfield, as needed. Good recognition of deception plays, reading and peeling off to blow up screens and draws. Showed his dedication to the program by earning the "Hard Hat" award for his work in the team's offseason strength and conditioning program in 2010 (year he missed due to academics)... Appears to be significantly heavier, stronger than his listed size by ASU (6-1, 267). Good bloodlines. Father, Mickey, played in the NFL for five years as a defensive back and punt returner with the Los Angeles Rams, Green Bay Packers and Buffalo Bills.
Weaknesses: Obvious size limitations and may prove to be just a rotational defender at the next level. Short arms and can get locked out by the longer arms of offensive linemen. Possesses very good short-area quickness but reaches max speed quickly and appears to have only moderate straight-line speed for the position despite his size. Seems to tire easily. Will make a big play and then disappear for long stretches. Only has one season of sustained success at the FBS level.
Compares To: Geno Atkins, DT, Cincinnati Bengals -- Having increased his sack production each of his three seasons in the NFL, the 6-1, 300-pound Atkins has given hope to all undersized, quick-footed defensive tackles that they, too, can find a niche in today's pass-happy NFL.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664702/william-sutton

[video=youtube;P-8tJ0_8L_I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-8tJ0_8L_I[/video]

74.DE Kareem Martin, North Carolina 6'6" 272

Analysis
STRENGTHS:
Certainly looks the part of a first round pick, boasting broad shoulders, long arms and a trim middle reminiscent of an NBA power forward. Offers good initial quickness off the snap, as well as straight-line speed to close quickly on the ball-carrier. Martin's best attribute is his strength at the point of attack. He gets a strong initial jolt to his opponent, quickly locking out to survey the action and showing the strength to rip himself free and pursue or stay home, as needed. While not particularly fluid, Martin's length and strength aid him as a tackler, as he's able to grab hold of the ball-carrier and throw him to the ground. Possesses the frame to handle moving inside on obvious passing downs, using his burst to split gaps.

WEAKNESSES: While possessing good initial quickness, he isn't explosive off the ball and is stiff when attempting to turn the corner or when changing directions. This inflexibility allows mobile quarterbacks and other alert ball-carriers to elude Martin in the open field. Does not use his length well to knock down passes at the line of scrimmage, tipping only three passes in 2013 (the same number in 2012)... Broke out with a spectacular senior campaign (including a safety in the Belk Bowl win over Cincinnati) to prompt questions as to where was this consistency throughout his career...

COMPARES TO: Justin Tuck, New York Giants -The team that selects Martin hopes the UNC standout will show the same dedication towards improvement that Tuck has since earning a third round pick out of Notre Dame in 2005. Tuck has developed into a fine pass rusher for the Giants but his game remains reliant on his length and strength at the point of attack.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737549/kareem-martin

Back
Top Bottom