2019 Draft: Most Physical Players At Each Position | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2019 Draft: Most Physical Players At Each Position

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
One of the hardest parts about watching the Miami Dolphins over the last eight years or so is how soft the team has become. This has been especially frustrating in the running game, where the team struggles to pick up short-yardage plays. Simply put, I don't see enough "people movers" up front.

I am encouraged with the Flores hiring and his use of the word "multiple" to describe his approach. I also expect Miami to become much more physical. As much as football has changed, that's still important.

Anyway, who do you all see as the most physical players at each position in the upcoming draft? More specifically what physical players best match the Dolphins scheme?

I think devin white rashan Gary and Ed Oliver are three of the most physical players. All heavy handed.

At safety maybe that abrams guy. That screams strong safety all over it

I haven’t seen enough of the Florida right tackle but I can see where body type he might fit in here also.

Lj Collier poor mans rashan Gary. By that I mean doesn’t cost you top 15ish pick but can give you similar role and poa play

-L.J. Collier is a guy I’ve been looking at lately round 2-3 prospect. 6’2” 282 pounds 25 reps on the bench, and I’ve heard a lot of scouts mention he has heavy hands which is a good trait if your looking for a physical player.
-Garrett Bradbury the NC state C/OG 6’3” 306 so not the biggest but had 34 reps on bench and is extremely athletic to go along with the big bench. (Ideal round 1 trade back target).
-Dexter Lawrence he’s probably my favorite prospect in terms of size and strength he’s HUGE 6’4” 342 and did 36 reps on the bench. He’s the ideal NT in this draft, and has speed for a guy that size. He’s a late 1st early second type guy.

If we could somehow land these 3 prospects in the first three rounds and add an extra 2020 pick I would be thrilled. It would go along way to improving our physicality and play in the trenches

Besides the blue chips, L.J. Collier, Jaylon ferguson, Jonathan Abrams and man Devin Bush are real physical players in the top two rounds.

I love Tre Lamars game, Very controlled, measured, hunter..

-L.J. Collier is a guy I’ve been looking at lately round 2-3 prospect. 6’2” 282 pounds 25 reps on the bench, and I’ve heard a lot of scouts mention he has heavy hands which is a good trait if your looking for a physical player.
-Garrett Bradbury the NC state C/OG 6’3” 306 so not the biggest but had 34 reps on bench and is extremely athletic to go along with the big bench. (Ideal round 1 trade back target).
-Dexter Lawrence he’s probably my favorite prospect in terms of size and strength he’s HUGE 6’4” 342 and did 36 reps on the bench. He’s the ideal NT in this draft, and has speed for a guy that size. He’s a late 1st early second type guy.

If we could somehow land these 3 prospects in the first three rounds and add an extra 2020 pick I would be thrilled. It would go along way to improving our physicality and play in the trenches
I really like Lawrence. I do worry about his weight in the south Florida heat/humidity. Not everyone can handle that but he has the talent for sure. I also like the two other guys you mention. Yes, that's be a good draft for us.

I've been doing some research on mid and late round defensive ends and there is some real diamonds in the rough. New England has always liked bigger DE's that are a bit bigger so they can hold up against the run and they need to be technically sound as well. They don't need to be athletic freaks or anything, just technically sound with a heavy hand. I am also not focusing on people in the top 2 rounds as they are being covered enough already

1) Anthony Nelson- Iowa
- limited athletically but is great at using his hands and shows a surprising variety of moves to get to the quarterback even though he doesn't have the burst you usually look for. Should be a 4th rounder or so

2) Byron Cowart- Maryland
- a decent athlete with excellent hand usage. Plays the 4 technique in 3-4 currently but could also project as a 1 and 3 technique in a 4 3. He would be someone i would look on day 3, somewhere around 5 or 6

3) Jonathan Ledbetter- Georgia
- ideal frame, extremely powerful, and great with his hands. Plays better in the interior and would be another prospect to look at on day 3

These are just 3 examples of players that can be available on day 2 and 3 that would provide value early on with the possibility of becoming a 3 down player in year 2 or year 3. There scouting reports are quite similar to the 17 million dollar man in Detroit as well as the terms "limited athletic ability" and "lack of advanced pass rush ability", he was simply heavy handed, had a great motor, and was technically sound.

Missing out on Flowers was one of the best things that could have happened to us, the more I look into him as a player, the more I see a possibility of us finding and developing our own.

Besides the blue chips, L.J. Collier, Jaylon ferguson, Jonathan Abrams and man Devin Bush are real physical players in the top two rounds.

I love Bush, but only in a trade down scenario. Kind of the same with Lawrence. I know running back isn't a huge need for Miami, but Montgomery is someone that I'd like if he gets to the 3rd round.

I love Bush, but only in a trade down scenario. Kind of the same with Lawrence. I know running back isn't a huge need for Miami, but Montgomery is someone that I'd like if he gets to the 3rd round.
We only have two backs on the roster so there is a need, especially in this system.

We only have two backs on the roster so there is a need, especially in this system.
There are a few that I really like. Sanders from Penn State can really make people miss and is a big-play guy. Montgomery is pretty physical and can catch. I like Harris at Alabama. I think he's been forgotten about quite a bit. You want super physical how about Holyfield at Georgia? There's a little bit of Beastmode in him. He's pretty slow, though.

Most of those guys are 2nd/3rd rounders. I think Holyfield could make it to the 5th. I do think it's a need because Drake may not be the type who can carry 20 times a game and Ballage is still unproven. That said, I don't expect Miami to look at running back early unless they end up trading back a few times and have additional picks.

WR: NKeal Harry
RB: Jacobs
TE: Moreau, Knox

T: Ford
G: Lindstrom

DT: Quinen Williams
DE: Bosa, Winovich
S: Abrams, Savage

Jordan Scarlett the Florida RB could be a great value, he always played so hard, and almost always breaks the first tackle, for a smaller guy he’s super aggressive running the ball

Tre Lamar is not a good prospect. His athletic ability is well below average. His understanding of what's going on in front of him is well below average. His reaction to plays is well below average. He's a guy I don't want anywhere close to this football team.

There are a few that I really like. Sanders from Penn State can really make people miss and is a big-play guy. Montgomery is pretty physical and can catch. I like Harris at Alabama. I think he's been forgotten about quite a bit. You want super physical how about Holyfield at Georgia? There's a little bit of Beastmode in him. He's pretty slow, though.

Most of those guys are 2nd/3rd rounders. I think Holyfield could make it to the 5th. I do think it's a need because Drake may not be the type who can carry 20 times a game and Ballage is still unproven. That said, I don't expect Miami to look at running back early unless they end up trading back a few times and have additional picks.

I think Mike Webber will be a steal in the 5th round.

Back
Top Bottom