2019 Draft: Quarterback Comparisons | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2019 Draft: Quarterback Comparisons

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Some of these are my observations, others are what I've read or heard. It's always nice to have comps to get an idea of what some of these quarterbacks can become.

Murray -- Russell Wilson
I think Wilson and Michael Vick are good comps. Not sure Murray has the intangibles that Wilson has, but there is no doubt he's dynamic.

Haskins - Warren Moon
Was having trouble coming up with a comp for Haskins, then the name Warren Moon came up on NFL network. Moon was more athletic, but in terms of arm talent and accuracy I think that fits.

Lock - Jay Cutler
I've heard Aaron Rogers and Carson Wentz. I think at his best, Lock flashes that kind of talent. With a good coach who can smooth out his footwork maybe he reaches those heights. For now, I think he fits Cutler better. Sometimes amazing, other times frustrating.

Daniel Jones - Chad Pennington
NFL network is calling him an Eli Manning clone. I think he is more like Pennington, but not as accurate. He is said to be smart, a good decision maker and someone who throws with a lot of anticipation. Hard to get excited watching film of Jones, but he wasn't exactly surrounded with a lot of talent at Duke either.

Will Grier - Jeff Garcia
Not sure he has quite the arm that Garcia had, but has the movement and appears to have that kind of moxie.

Ryan Finley - Kirk Cousins
I've also heard comparisons to Alex Smith and Ryan Tannehill. I think a good mid-rounder who manages the game well. Fringe starter, good backup?

Ethan Stick - Jay Fielder
Athletically, I see some similarities to Mitch Trubisky. He is pretty quick and I like Stick's pocket presence. From a standpoint of accuracy, arm strength and consistency I think he is similar to Fielder.

Thoughts?

Fortunately, Easton Stick has a lot more arm talent than Ethan Stick.

Not really seeing the Finley=Cousins or Grier=Garcia comparisons either. And the Jones=Pennington comparison would make me spit out my soup.

Fortunately, Easton Stick has a lot more arm talent than Ethan Stick.

Not really seeing the Finley=Cousins or Grier=Garcia comparisons either. And the Jones=Pennington comparison would make me spit out my soup.
Admittedly, having a hard time with a Jones comparison. NFL Network keeps saying Eli Manning, but I don't see that. Maybe in terms of intangibles. I think his arm is similar to Pennington's where he has to be extremely accurate and make quick decisions to be successful. Jones could actually work in a NE based offense.

Stick has a chance to develop. I really like his pocket awareness. From what I've seen (mostly in your highlights), that is his major strength. Fielder was a decent quarterback. I think Stick's upside is somewhere between Fielder and Trubisky.

For all of these prospects, it really comes down to what situation they end up in. Lock with Jon Gruden could end up being closer to a Rogers type.

I think Greg Cosell had a great comparison with Easton Stick as another Alex Smith.

The one disagreement I would have with that comparison is that whereas Alex Smith seems allergic to the deep ball, Easton Stick thrives on it. That isn't saying Easton has more arm talent; it's about tendencies and what the respective QBs like to do. Simple fact that Stick had the 6th highest target depth averages of the 53 quarterbacks measured for this draft. And he also ranked 7th of 52 in deep ball accuracy.

I'm not trying to pretend Easton Stick is the best thing since sliced bread. He is who he is. He's got strengths, but he's also sub-elite accuracy, the ball comes off his hand wrong at times, he has to grind his toes to get pro velocity (though he's consistently comfortable doing so), he had a lot of time and space behind that OL which was built to dominate the FCS competition, he can be a little late on his reads at times, shows some issues throwing accurately at intermediate depth to the sidelines sometimes, and he never really had to carry the Bison thru games with just his right arm because his was such a dominant run offense (in part due to his legit compelling running skills and physical attributes).

He's plus on a lot of things but that's a significant list of minuses, and why I'd not put him in the 1st round.

As for Daniel Jones, you can't be Chad Pennington if you don't perform like Chad Pennington and Pennington at Marshall absolutely blew away anything Daniel Jones has ever mustered at Duke. No comparison to be made there. Daniel Jones is a poor man's Ryan Tannehill. That's your comparison.

Some of these are my observations, others are what I've read or heard. It's always nice to have comps to get an idea of what some of these quarterbacks can become.

Murray -- Russell Wilson
I think Wilson and Michael Vick are good comps. Not sure Murray has the intangibles that Wilson has, but there is no doubt he's dynamic.

Haskins - Warren Moon
Was having trouble coming up with a comp for Haskins, then the name Warren Moon came up on NFL network. Moon was more athletic, but in terms of arm talent and accuracy I think that fits.

Lock - Jay Cutler
I've heard Aaron Rogers and Carson Wentz. I think at his best, Lock flashes that kind of talent. With a good coach who can smooth out his footwork maybe he reaches those heights. For now, I think he fits Cutler better. Sometimes amazing, other times frustrating.

NFL network is calling him an Eli Manning clone. I think he is more like Pennington, but not as accurate. He is said to be smart, a good decision maker and someone who throws with a lot of anticipation. Hard to get excited watching film of Jones, but he wasn't exactly surrounded with a lot of talent at Duke either.

Will Grier - Jeff Garcia
Not sure he has quite the arm that Garcia had, but has the movement and appears to have that kind of moxie.

I've also heard comparisons to Alex Smith and Ryan Tannehill. I think a good mid-rounder who manages the game well. Fringe starter, good backup?

Athletically, I see some similarities to Mitch Trubisky. He is pretty quick and I like Stick's pocket presence. From a standpoint of accuracy, arm strength and consistency I think he is similar to Fielder.

Thoughts?

Who does Brady, Rodgers, Big Ben and Brees resemble? Just curious if these proven players resemble someone else or if they just stand on their own merits? My personal opinion is that these comparisons get thrown out the window as soon as they have meaningful snaps.

I prefer to analyze a player, see what round he’s worth taking and how he would help a team. Murray has upside, but his size is a serious red flag. So much so that his value is in the 2nd rd. He’d be fun to watch on a team that has an established o line and some weapons. Arizona is an OK landing spot but a terrible Oline. I’d like him in Detroit or Washington. I just don’t like him in the 1st; not long term.

I think Haskins will be the better QB long term, but I’d wait until the end of the 1st. I’m certainly no GM, but I’d pass on him until he fell. I just don’t think he’s worth taking as early as he’s probably going to go. I hope the Dolphins wait until next year to spend a 1st on a QB. The value this year is in a developmental type QB. I prefer Gardner Minshew and I’d take him in the 5th.

Last edited:
I think Greg Cosell had a great comparison with Easton Stick as another Alex Smith.

The one disagreement I would have with that comparison is that whereas Alex Smith seems allergic to the deep ball, Easton Stick thrives on it. That isn't saying Easton has more arm talent; it's about tendencies and what the respective QBs like to do. Simple fact that Stick had the 6th highest target depth averages of the 53 quarterbacks measured for this draft. And he also ranked 7th of 52 in deep ball accuracy.

I'm not trying to pretend Easton Stick is the best thing since sliced bread. He is who he is. He's got strengths, but he's also sub-elite accuracy, the ball comes off his hand wrong at times, he has to grind his toes to get pro velocity (though he's consistently comfortable doing so), he had a lot of time and space behind that OL which was built to dominate the FCS competition, he can be a little late on his reads at times, shows some issues throwing accurately at intermediate depth to the sidelines sometimes, and he never really had to carry the Bison thru games with just his right arm because his was such a dominant run offense (in part due to his legit compelling running skills and physical attributes).

He's plus on a lot of things but that's a significant list of minuses, and why I'd not put him in the 1st round.

As for Daniel Jones, you can't be Chad Pennington if you don't perform like Chad Pennington and Pennington at Marshall absolutely blew away anything Daniel Jones has ever mustered at Duke. No comparison to be made there. Daniel Jones is a poor man's Ryan Tannehill. That's your comparison.
Not sure I get the Jones/Tannehill comparison. Unless you are talking about pocket presence.

Jones, based solely on physical traits, looks like a mid-rounder to me. That said, his intangibles must be off the charts to be considered in the first round. Those are the things that are hard to know as a fan.

Who does Brady, Rodgers, Big Ben and Brees resemble? Just curious if these proven players resemble someone else or if they just stand on their own merits? My personal opinion is that these comparisons get thrown out the window as soon as they have meaningful snaps.

I prefer to analyze a player, see what round he’s worth taking and how he would help a team. Murray has upside, but his size is a serious red flag. So much so that his value is in the 2nd rd. He’d be fun to watch on a team that has an established o line and some weapons. Arizona is an OK landing spot but a terrible Oline. I’d like him in Detroit or Washington. I just don’t like him in the 1st; not long term.

I think Haskins will be the better QB long term, but I’d wait until the end of the 1st. I’m certainly no GM, but I’d pass on him until he fell. I just don’t think he’s worth taking as early as he’s probably going to go. I hope the Dolphins wait until next year to spend a 1st on a QB. The value this year is in a developmental type QB. I prefer Gardner Minshew and I’d take him in the 5th.
Comparisons also tend to be optimistic. Every year it seems like some quarterback is the next Aaron Rodgers.

Murray -- Russell Wilson

Haskins - Warren Moon

Lock - Jay Cutler

Will Grier - Jeff Garcia

Thoughts?

The only similarity i see between Haskins and Moon is their skin color. That, and that they can both throw a football.
I watched Moon throughout his entire NFL career. He was much more athletic, and was an exceptional passer. He was an elite player from the moment he set foot on an NFL field.

The only similarity i see between Haskins and Moon is their skin color. That, and that they can both throw a football.
I watched Moon throughout his entire NFL career. He was much more athletic, and was an exceptional passer. He was an elite player from the moment he set foot on an NFL field.
Moon was amazing. So underrated when it comes around to taking about the best quarterbacks ever.

I do agree that Moon was more athletic than Haskins, but I do see similarities in terms of arm talent.

As far as Ryan Tannehill comps go idk about Daniel Jones but I think Stidham on film looks alot like Tannehill. Big arm with mobility, throws well on the run, good play action passer, struggles significantly against pressure. Hes like a slightly less talented clone of Tannehill

As far as Ryan Tannehill comps go idk about Daniel Jones but I think Stidham on film looks alot like Tannehill. Big arm with mobility, throws well on the run, good play action passer, struggles significantly against pressure. Hes like a slightly less talented clone of Tannehill

Hadn’t thought about that. Very fair.

I haven’t heard much talk on this forum about Clayton Thorson, but i read somewhere that several teams are intrigued by him

I understand it’s all in fun but I think comparisons are goofy.

Back
Top Bottom