2022 NFL head coach rankings. McDaniel at 21 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2022 NFL head coach rankings. McDaniel at 21

andyahs

Bahamian Redneck
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
21. Mike McDaniel (Dolphins)
Season: 1st with Dolphins and as HC
Career record: N/A | Playoffs: N/A

He's certainly raw, coming in at 39 with a whopping one year of coordinator experience. But this man speaks the language, not only as a player-friendly personality but as a schemer, emerging as one of Kyle Shanahan's top run-game assistants. Whether it's with or without QB Tua Tagovailoa for the long haul, he talks the talk as a potential innovator for their improved roster.

He's certainly raw, coming in at 39 with a whopping one year of coordinator experience. But this man speaks the language, not only as a player-friendly personality but as a schemer, emerging as one of Kyle Shanahan's top run-game assistants. Whether it's with or without QB Tua Tagovailoa for the long haul, he talks the talk as a potential innovator for their improved roster.

The 11 guys behind him must be like WTF?

Even though he hasn't coached a single game for the Fins, there are maybe 10 HCs that I would trade him for, if that many.

I’m really not sure how they can rate head coaches before they have actually coached their first game ever in the NFL. Having MCDaniel rated as the best new head coach heading into the season is nice and while I am excited to see how the team develops under his leadership, he still needs to prove it once the season begins.

Even though he hasn't coached a single game for the Fins, there are maybe 10 HCs that I would trade him for, if that many.
My list isnt that long... Im not saying he's a top 5 NFL coach, nobody knows... But I'll take the very high ceiling with a very low floor over a high probability of average...

My list isnt that long... Im not saying he's a top 5 NFL coach, nobody knows... But I'll take the very high ceiling with a very low floor over a high probability of average...
Exactly.

There are several "solid" coaches out there, but very few I consider great. A lot of the older guys are too set in their ways to think outside the box for my liking.

Exactly.

There are several "solid" coaches out there, but very few I consider great. A lot of the older guys are too set in their ways to think outside the box for my liking.
I've said this a couple of times already but the worst thing that could happen to McDaniel's career is a bad start... Different doesnt get the benefit of the doubt. Flores could get away from these bad starts because he's the norm... Imposing, though, disciplinarian you get the idea... This is what everyone expects a HC to look like in a perfect world.

But here we have McDaniel, a nerd looking press conference comedian that goes to parties with his players, or at least feels like they should've invited him. Its... New? New is all fun and games until it doesnt work, there's no 2nd chances or leeway, you get the "we tried but it didnt work". But when new works, it doesnt take too long to take roots either. McDaniel starts 5-2 and he becomes a god.

This is why he was my 1st choice out of all the candidates, the football knowledge, the problem solving strategy, the ultra players coach approach, the new... There's really no risk of 5 years of mediocrity here, its boom or bust.

I've said this a couple of times already but the worst thing that could happen to McDaniel's career is a bad start... Different doesnt get the benefit of the doubt. Flores could get away from these bad starts because he's the norm... Imposing, though, disciplinarian you get the idea... This is what everyone expects a HC to look like in a perfect world.

But here we have McDaniel, a nerd looking press conference comedian that goes to parties with his players, or at least feels like they should've invited him. Its... New? New is all fun and games until it doesnt work, there's no 2nd chances or leeway, you get the "we tried but it didnt work". But when new works, it doesnt take too long to take roots either. McDaniel starts 5-2 and he becomes a god.

This is why he was my 1st choice out of all the candidates, the football knowledge, the problem solving strategy, the ultra players coach approach, the new... There's really no risk of 5 years of mediocrity here, its boom or bust.
Good post.

Wanted him from the get go and really believe he is the answer for our miserable coaching decisions since Shula.

I expect him to have growing pains but he's seen enough to get through those.

I wanted Harbaugh but I'm happy with with this guy and I feel good about it unlike our last few. And my gut feeling has been great here lately

I was prepared to say the same thing, but looking at the list... the only I think you could argue definitely belongs ahead of him is Josh McDaniels. Everyone else either has 0 experience like him or has been terrible. I'm a fan of Dan Campbell and think he's going to be fine with Detroit but it is hard to argue taking him ahead Mike.

Absolutely! Boom or bust. We don't want to spend another decade floating around 7-8 wins thinking we are a splash free agent signing away from getting the wild card.

It's always the same thing with mediocrity: "Our CBs held us back!" So we draft Vontae Davis and Sean Smith.

"Our linebackers were the problem!" So we sign Dansby and Burnett

"Our linebackers got old!" So we sign Wheeler and Ellerbe

"He just needs a receiver!" So we trade for Marshall and sign Wallace.

Sparano, Philbin, Flores, these guys were always just good enough not to lose. I'm deliberately leaving Adam Gase out of this because if he had stayed another year that would have been a repeat of the Cam Cameron 1-15 year. The reality is it has been the HC and the QB holding us back this past decade plus. Well with McDaniel and Tua, we'll know pretty quickly whether they are the answer and we won't have to waste 5 years figuring it out.

I wanted Harbaugh but I'm happy with with this guy and I feel good about it unlike our last few. And my gut feeling has been great here lately
My concern with Harbaugh was he would be here 2 or 3 years and be ready to move on like he likes to do. With McDaniel if he performs we have him long term.

I’m really not sure how they can rate head coaches before they have actually coached their first game ever in the NFL. Having MCDaniel rated as the best new head coach heading into the season is nice and while I am excited to see how the team develops under his leadership, he still needs to prove it once the season begins.

Every logical fan: "I'm not sure how they can rate head coaches before they have actually coached their first game"

Finheaven: "Hold my beer"

Yes, I believe 21 is more then fair and even shows a bit of confidence in him being able to handle the big job, whether right away or eventually.

Back
Top Bottom