2nd pick signed: Lee / Donald Lee | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2nd pick signed: Lee / Donald Lee

Originally posted by MOULDSROCKS
He's actually quite small for a TE....

He is 6' 2'' 238 lbs but runs a nice 4.72 40.
He is a good athlete but has questionable hands and isn't a great blocker which hurt his value. Despite his size, he is a scruffy player who fights with all his effort not to get pushed around by bigger guys. He brings some heart to the team. He is very durable.

I'll try to find a picture.

Sounds to me like your making this doo doo you spew up!

The 6-3, 249-pound Lee was a four-year letterman at Mississippi State (1999-2002), where he started 30 of the 45 games in which he played during his career. He totaled 61 receptions for 611 yards and three touchdowns during that time, including 22 catches for 161 yards and a TD his senior year.

Born August 31, 1980, Lee prepped at Maben (Miss.) High School prior to enrolling at Mississippi State.

Here is some more.....

Has excellent quickness off the snap, showing good body control in and out of his breaks … Does not step away from blocking assignments … Fluid in his release off the line, knowing how to slip past the jam to get up field … Has the acceleration needed to stretch the coverage and does a good job of exposing defenders with his hip swerve and lateral agility … Is especially effective on option routes … Has enough separation speed to isolate linebackers and defensive backs … Makes proper body adjustments tracking the ball in … Can drive block, reach and down block with consistency, despite his fragile-looking frame.

some negatives.......

Weight room figures do not always translate to the football field … Needs further muscle development, especially in the lower frame … Has a reading disability that could cause problems digesting a complicated play book … Does not appear to have natural hands, as he tends to trap the ball … May be better suited for H-back, due to his less than ideal frame structure … Good blocker, but sometimes puts his face mask down, missing his intended target.

And to dispute his negative about his disability......

Made an instant impact as a freshman, coming up with numerous clutch plays throughout his Mississippi State career … Overcame a reading disability to earn Southeastern Conference Academic Honor Roll recognition … Started 30 of 45 games during his career, making 61 catches for 611 yards (10.0 avg.) and 3 touchdowns.

I actuallt think that he could be a great surprise for us this coming year. There's talk that we'll runa 2 TE formation from time to time and I think he'll be a good player for us.

Ozzy rules!!

Dolphins | Lee Contract Update - from www.KFFL.com

Updating previous reports, the Palm Beach Post reports the Miami Dolphins signed rookie TE Donald Lee to a four-year contract worth around $1.5 million. He will receive base salaries of $225,000 (2003), $205,000 (2004), $380,000 (2005) and $460,000 (2006).

A 4 year deal is very odd for a player drafted from the 3rd round on, yet alone the 5th round. This'll avoid the whole RFA mess.

One of the papers said it was for cap reasons. It allows the Phins to stretch out the signing bonus.

from Alex

Q: Why would the Dolphins sign Donald Lee to a four-year contract?

A: Unless a player is selected in the first round, the Dolphins sign all of their rookies to three- or four-year contracts, which is a standard procedure around the NFL. Those mid-to-late-round players who sign four-year contracts are giving up the chance to become restricted free agents after their third NFL season in favor of a larger rookie signing bonus. I consider Lee a lock to make the team. He showed excellent athleticism in the minicamps and the Dolphins have a slot for a third tight end. ... http://www.sun-sentinel.com/finsinsider!

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/

Back
Top Bottom