3Guys we need to draft...... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

3Guys we need to draft......

Dolphin Dan

Alright, MIAMI!
Reaction score
After reading Mel Kiper's updated rankings of all players eligible for the draft i have come to the conclusion that it would not be out of the realm of posibility to get 3 quality Guys at all three need positions. We would need to trade for a Second Round pick in order for the theroy to work, but here it goes.

QB- We can all stop Drooling over ELi and Big Ben, as neither will be available when we pick. I think we may be able to get JP Losmen, or Philip Rivers(who Kiper compares to Bernie Kosar and says he has the quickest realese since Marino.) i would Like to think we spend a First Round Pick Here.

OL- The more I look at it, i see that the OL is a pretty deep Position, so i say we get a very good one with our Second 1st Round Pick(If OGun Goes..) The Guy I see is Vernon Carey from UM. He is listed as a G, but played every OL position except Center. If we draft him, all of a sudden our OL is getting Better and Younger when you consider we have MCKinney and Wade Smith.

WR- The least important of our three needs, and we can wait until the second or possibly third Round (if we don't trade for a 2nd rounder..) to get one. The 2 guys I think would be nice fits and are not out of reach, are Lee Evans from Wisconsin, and Michael Jenkins from OSU. Jenkins would be my top choice because of his size 6-4 215. I think this makes him the perfect compliment to CC. Plus he has made so many big plays in his career. Evans is good as well, and his stock has dropped simply because he did not have as good a senior season as he had as a Junior.

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in, as it will be a long time until we play again.......

Hey Dolphin Dan, Happy New Year.

I'm not sure I agree that WR is the least important of our 3 needs. The 'window' appears to be closing and I think the team is going to focus on who can come in and contribute quickly and I think WR is high on that list in Round One. It will come down to whoever is actually on the board (and whoever is making the decisions) but I think we'll likely go WR unless (1) we have more than one first round pick (likely through another team with picks to burn, say the Pats, going after Ogunleye) or (2) we pick up a significant FA WR.

In terms of FAs, I am starting to think Miami might go after Steve Smith and try to get the Punts handled as well.

Right now, I think we keep O-Gun (which will make Serg happy) and sign say Brunell and Smith. that opens up the first round pick for a QB, but I'm not sure I see it going to QB otherwise.

We'll probably know a bit more by the end of the week when the new GM indicates his preferences, but one never knows how events will pan out - players we expect to be FA options may not be, etc.

Should be an interesting off season, but right now I'm still depressed at no Phins Football (or victory shots at the Sportz Bar) until August...

Scratch Evans then, did not know that. I think Steve Smith is a good call. Bruce would be nice as well. Def need some OL help, so we shall see. Happy New Year to you Mike.

Not a knock on Evans, I've seen him listed as a 1st round pick, just the damaged goods has me concerned long term.

He didn't have double ACL tears. He tore his ACL in the Spring football game 2002. He tried to rehab it and come back that fall. However, swelling prevented it. He went back and had arthroscopic surgery done to clean up scar tissue. He's been fine since then.

I live near St. Louis and on the sports radio local show they listed all the FA's for the Rams next year.

Bruce was not one of them. Can someone confirm he has not been re-signed and is indeed, a FA.

I'd take any of the above WR's really. If Evans is there in round three it's not even a thought. The guy OWNED Chris Gamble all game long.

I think WR has to be in round one, unless someone unexpected slips down. First round QB's are a big investment, risky payoff, and often a team must wait two/three years. Take the best choice between WR and Oline at pick 20.
But that's just my opinion.
Or maybe a Cornerback, for old time's sake.
Yo, kidding.

First we need to address future QB... So we drop Fiedler and Greise and Pick up Brunell and draft Rivers with our late first round pick.

Next we need to look at WR....Michael Jenkins. He's a big guy and adveraged 14 yards per catch in 2003. The Guy catches everything thrown at him. Great hands. Should drop down into the third round. For free agency, we need to make a run at Tai Streets.

Now, I like Ogun, so I'm sayin we keep him and the rest of the draft, you can only get lucky, so to address Oline, well, Wanny says we are OK, so I'll go with that, but I hated Wade Smith so I think we need to get that LT, and maybe use wade at RT. And that LT is, Orlando Pace. I know, he'll require a lot of money, but to do it for like 3 or 4 years, and to have someone that good, it's worth it. Hey, if people were thinking we can afford Manning before he was declaired a colt for life, then we should be able to afford Pace. We were thinking about him last year, but he was tagged, so it was over, but that aint happening again, so this year, I say we make a run at him.

Trade Madison, fine, but you better get something real good for him. I'm not going there, I'm just sayin this is what we could do with what we have. Brunell won't cost a lot, and Streets isn't a block buster thing either. We get rid of Thompson and or Mcnight, Fiedler and Greise, and you have a lot of cap money there, and then just restructure a few here and there, it'll all work out. Our D is very good, but very over paid. We will only be able to keep them together for a few years, so we need to go all in on O and make a run for the superbowl.

We don't have a 2nd round pick to give up....so soon creative moves would have to be made.

I dont think Evans will last to the third round unless his combine numbers are really bad. Right now I see him as a late first round pick or early 2nd rounder. I dont know much about Jenkins, but from what everyone tells me he sounds good. How good is his 40 speed because he has good size and if his speed is good, he could really move up no the draft board. In the first Round though, I would like a QB or OL. I think WR isn't as big as an issue an OL and QB unless we sign some people in free agency. For the WR positition i'd like us to sign 1) Steve Smith unless he gets a high tender from Carolina because i dont think he'd be worth a first rounder. 2) Issac Bruce, he still has a lot left in him 3) Tai Streets, He is a good number 2 WR, Would definantley be an upgrade over Thompson.
I say we sign Streets because he'd be the cheapest and most likely to be let go by his team. Release or have Thompson take a paycut, and have McKnight take a paycut. Draft a WR in the 3rd, idk who would be a good player to take in the third. But our WR's would look like this- Chambers
Streets
3rd Rounder
Mcknight
and have Gadsden, Simmons and Tolver battle for 2 spots.

I doubt Miami will keep O-Gun.. Some team will offer him a big time contract being that he's young and has excelled the last 2 seasons..

Hopefully that team is between 10-15 in draft picks.. If that's the case, I would go for a WR like Reggie Williams or Michael Clayton with the 1st 1st rounder... Then trade down into the early second with the 20th pick and select Rivers..

I do not like what I hear about JP Losman.. From what I hear, this cat has tremendous athletic ability and all the tools but has the wrong head.. He's too arrogant and way too concerned about stats and is not a team player.. If you look at all the QB's in the 8 teams remaining in the playoffs, they are all team players and very intelligent..

Philip Rivers to me reminds me of Steve McNair because of his sloppy mechanics and play.. He just gets the job done and gets the ball to go where it's supposed to..

With the 3rd rounder, I would select the best possible athlete and the same for most of the rest of the draft picks and also loook for sleepers who have had injury problems and that noone is looking at.. Much like how Miami found Adewale Ogunleye, an UFA who had alot of injury problems in college but with so much talent..

Originally posted by MiamiFan1354
First we need to address future QB... So we drop Fiedler and Greise and Pick up Brunell and draft Rivers with our late first round pick.

Next we need to look at WR....Michael Jenkins. He's a big guy and adveraged 14 yards per catch in 2003. The Guy catches everything thrown at him. Great hands. Should drop down into the third round. For free agency, we need to make a run at Tai Streets.

Trade Madison, fine, but you better get something real good for him. I'm not going there, I'm just sayin this is what we could do with what we have.

We couldn't jack for Madison, his salaries are ridiculous the next 3 years, NO ONE, including Miami wants to pay that money. He's gonna have to agree to a total restructure, or face getting cut and becoming just another corner in an already strong cornerback market.

As for Michael Jenkins, the kid is money. I am a diehard buckeyes fan, and MJ was ALWAYS open, and like you said, caught EVERYTHING.

Back
Top Bottom