4-2-5, 4-3-4, 4-4-3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

4-2-5, 4-3-4, 4-4-3

Jssanto

Club Member
Reaction score
how many possible combos are there?
In a passing league (65% of plays roughly) which one do teams use. Which one does are personnel match?

Id say the majority of defenses spend there time in a nickel set these days, with teams going more with 3 receiver sets rather them deploying a true FB. Off course, it depends on game situation.

I'm just hoping that Burke has a lot more to show than what we saw last season. I almost wish we had a veteran Defensive Coordinator who's been to and won Playoff Games and even won a Super Bowl or two. We have much more talent and speed to deploy on defense. I sure hope he's up to the task.

I'm just hoping that Burke has a lot more to show than what we saw last season. I almost wish we had a veteran Defensive Coordinator who's been to and won Playoff Games and even won a Super Bowl or two. We have much more talent and speed to deploy on defense. I sure hope he's up to the task.
Don't worry if we have a bad season this year you won't have to worry about Burke or anyone else for that matter... we'll be cleaning house

I’d like to see some 4-2-5 with our personnel.

Wake, Whoever our 2 DTs are, Harris/Quinn
McMillan, Baker
Howard, Tank, Jones, Fitz, McDonald
I'm almost positive we will see a very similar lineup to this on gamedays. All about getting your best players on the field and depending on how Baker/McMillan works out, this could look really nice!

For this defense to be good, these questions need answers:

Can Fitzpatrick man center field on every single high look? Not a lot tape of him doing this. But his football IQ is really up there so there is room for some cautious optimism here.

Does Raekwon McMillian have the range to play 3 down Mike? This is a question mark. Especially coming off an ACL injury.

And who the hell is going to be the other starting LB'er in nickel? Kiko? (Barf), Baker (big question mark), Anthony? (Instincts of a gerbil).

Can Xavien Howard become a consistent number 1 shut down corner? Showed some pop the last few weeks of last season, but can it carry over into his third year on a consistent basis?

Robert Quinn? Has his lack of production the last 3 years been purely because of the scheme change? Or is he just damaged goods at this point? We are going to need the dynamic pass rusher from 2013.

Defensive tackles - Just gotta pray for this position. Cuz yikes.

Last edited:
That's essentially a nickel package but instead of McCain you have McDonald
Which I just don't see happening very often tbh. Not in obvious passing downs anyway because McCain is a far better option to cover the slot, and you obviously aren't taking out one of the boundary corners for TJ. When you really think about it the only way it makes sense to even get TJ on the field is either as an olb in a 4-3, or in a dime package where there's only one LB.

how many possible combos are there?
In a passing league (65% of plays roughly) which one do teams use. Which one does are personnel match?

According to pro-football-reference:

There were 17,488 pass attempts and 13,755 rushing attempts. If you average the attempts out over 32 teams/16 games, it equates to 34.2 passes and 26.9 rushes per game.....or 56% passing.

It looks like a much more wide open game but you have to remember that even with these high flying offenses, they are more than willing to eat clock and keep their D fresh by running the ball once they have those leads.....and weather really has an impact later in the season.

Also - many of the teams that made the playoffs were in the top 10 in rushing attempts. Miami was last in the league.

Back
Top Bottom