4 Mil. under...now what? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

4 Mil. under...now what?

PhinsTD

Phins fanatic
Reaction score
We are in the envious position of having a little bit of cap room and having few holes to fill with it.

I doubt we will sign any more than maybe two more guys which will cost minimal against the cap.

We do however have some things we can do with this money. Assuming we will hold 1 mil. back for signing players to fill injuries and for injury settlements for players in camp. We will have 3 mil. to work with for helping the team for not only this season but beyond as well.

I think giving Ricky 1 mil in "likely to attain" incentives will make him happy until we really redo his contract. Low risk because if he doesn't attain the incentives we get the credit back in next year's cap.

The D-line has alot of young players who will be FA after this year. David Bowens, the emerging young DE is a FA after this year and should be tried to lock up past this season. Wally is a FA and if he shows he can make this team this camp he could be resigned. Henry Taylor is a FA and has shown glimpses this camp. Arturo Freeman our young S is a FA and could garner an extension as well.

On offense Todd Wade is slated to be a FA in two years and might be a candidate for a new deal as well.

Whatever we go with it, we can ill-afford to just sit on the money and not spend it somewhere. I vote locking up a few young players, give RW a better incentive package, and maybe getting a key veteran who gets cut from another team or a guy still available.

Thoughts?

Tough call without seeign any real pre-season action. I want to zero in on our CB situation.

After that giving guys like Wally, and Bowens contract extentions without seeing them perform up to a higher level is not my idea of smart financing. Let them get 6 or 7 games into the season, and if they are ripping it up, then extend them.

I am a bit concerned about Larry Chester's leg. He is still experiencing a good amount of pain, and I would like to see us sign up another DT. I know Haley would probably do just fine, but Zach seems to fall apart when we don't have outstanding DT play.

Other then that...I dunno...I say give Chris Chambers a decent extention...Lord knows he is going to be a bear to sign up when he is a super star.

My feeling is...

Originally posted by Phinstd
We are in the envious position of having a little bit of cap room and having few holes to fill with it.

I doubt we will sign any more than maybe two more guys which will cost minimal against the cap.

We do however have some things we can do with this money. Assuming we will hold 1 mil. back for signing players to fill injuries and for injury settlements for players in camp. We will have 3 mil. to work with for helping the team for not only this season but beyond as well.

I think giving Ricky 1 mil in "likely to attain" incentives will make him happy until we really redo his contract. Low risk because if he doesn't attain the incentives we get the credit back in next year's cap.

The D-line has alot of young players who will be FA after this year. David Bowens, the emerging young DE is a FA after this year and should be tried to lock up past this season. Wally is a FA and if he shows he can make this team this camp he could be resigned. Henry Taylor is a FA and has shown glimpses this camp. Arturo Freeman our young S is a FA and could garner an extension as well.

On offense Todd Wade is slated to be a FA in two years and might be a candidate for a new deal as well.

Whatever we go with it, we can ill-afford to just sit on the money and not spend it somewhere. I vote locking up a few young players, give RW a better incentive package, and maybe getting a key veteran who gets cut from another team or a guy still available.

Thoughts?

... they are going to #1 save that $ incase anyone becomes available. If that doesn't happen to use it to restructure RW's contract, or possibly even Rob Konrad's contract.

Oliver...

i think we should use the extra cap space to sign a veteran lb, lt, and cb...we need depth at those positions...we could also wait to see if any players we like get cut...the players who need long term extensions are ricky and chambers...zachs contract runs through next year but how many years do we give him...i think he may be starting to breakdown like john offerdahl...

Chambers has 2 more yrs after this year. I think they'll wait till after the year to negotiate.

If you reread my post I said we'll wait to see if anyone we like get cut.

I meant give the extensions at some point this year. I didn't mean right this minute. I was merely saying it's not smart to keep the money like the Bengals and Cardinals do every year.

Originally posted by Phinstd

Thoughts?

My thoughts? Those are some excellent thoughts!

I'm all for giving RW's money to ease his mind, but wonder how that money would be spread out as far as the Salary Cap?

I think Freeman is slated to be a restricted FA. If this is so, it's better to wait IMO. The Dolphins make the qualifying offer, then let other teams do the bidding. If someone signs him, then all they do is match it, and he would most likely be locked up for another three years.

I'm definitely all for locking up Bowens, and would like to feel the same way about Konrad, but have to reserve some judgement on him for now!

But I really think they will be looking at a CB, or a backup Lb when the final cuts are made.........

I agree with Ozzy on this one..We have some players worth resigning and we have to be smart with what we do with our money..I quantee Miami is looking to add something that's not on the team now when cuts take place.

I think OZ nailed it. We should wait and see if any teams that are deep at LB or CB have to cut a guy that performed well. I really think LB is our thinest postion we need to add at least 1 more quality back up.

I would make an attempt to sign D.Bowens, Konrad, Freeman, and Wade right now longterm. All four in my opinion will have "breakout" type years...and its always better to lock a guy up before his "breakout" opportunity hits. I would say fish those guys agents and see which ones might be willing to take a deal reflective of the fact that none of them has made a particularly strong impact in this league YET. There's a good chance that a couple of them will be more comfortable waiting til AFTER the season to talk money.

With the rest of the money once we extend 1, maybe 2 of the 4 guys up there, I would say 1st wait for training camp cuts to see who is around and sign where needed (Richmond Webb anyone?)...and 2nd after it looks like no more good cuts, use what we have left and just give a bunch of up front money to Ricky Williams on a 7 year renegotiated contract and extension (hehe). Similar structure to Marshall Faulk's deal except way less magnitude. The cap figure in Marshall's 2nd year is significantly lower than this year or the third year's contract. Such it should be with Ricky, as next year may prove a difficult year with 6 million in deadweight with DG.

Since most players don't ever have breakout seasons I think it's better to wait till you have to pay the guy. Signing a guy, especially a 5th round draft choice who is now only breaking the starting lineup, 2 years from Free agency isn't really sound fiscal policy. The O-line will have Dixon, Searcy and Smith I believe coming up for F/A also.

Space is a resource that should be used. Coaches have to decide who are long term keepers and give them long term deals with money from this years salary cap rather than let the money go unused.

Hey Ozzy, the "likely to be attained" incentives will all count this year against cap. If he doesn't achieve them we get the credit all back for next year's cap.

The Broncos got almost 5 mil cap break this year for incentives not achieved.

Back
Top Bottom