4 Receiver Set | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

4 Receiver Set

MDFINFAN

Reach for the Stars
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I'm watching the Pat's game..the last one, man o man, and I'm watching the phins use the 4 WR set pretty often..I noticed a lot of post on this board stated that we don't use it often, but in this game Miami seems to be using it alot..I also noticed it in the Buf game..As the season wore on, did Norv start inserting it more..and will this be a trend in his O this year? If so, how many receivers will we keep to ensure this set is there all year..remember injuries..in order to run this set you must have 4 receivers and a reserve in case someone gets hurt during the game if they want to keep using it after that person gets hurt..

We did use it alot last year and the year before, but this coming year we will not as Norv will want to keep McMichael and Konrad on the field more.

Dave's already said they wanted to get away from the 4 WR set and that we will probably only go to 3WR sets to feature Konrad, Ricky, McMicheal more. Hence why I think we will carry one less WR this year.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan
Dave's already said they wanted to get away from the 4 WR set and that we will probably only go to 3WR sets to feature Konrad, Ricky, McMicheal more. Hence why I think we will carry one less WR this year.

I wonder is that wise, since they seem to use the formation well..

Originally posted by MDFINFAN

I think this is very wise. McMichael pretty much is your 4th receiver and Miami has not utilized the talent that Konrad possess.

1.Chambers
2.Thompson
3.McKnight
4.Tolver
5.Rogers

END OF STORY..

Originally posted by MDFINFAN

Think about the phins just 2 years ago? What were our weapons?

Lamar Smith? Chris Chambers at the 3rd WR.

Pretty much was it. Now look at our weapons:

Konrad (never given the ball in Chan's days)
McMicheal
Ricky
Chambers
McKnight
Thompson

At least 4 of these guys will be on the field at all times.

I have mentioned this just not very much. Last year it was said that Turner didn't use 4 WR sets. Yet as you noticed late last year he did use it often. I see no reason he won't go the 4 WR set if it's to his advantage. Don't forget he could always use his fullback, halfback or tight end and line them up either wide or in the slot. I think there was already some talk of this (using the players of these other positions as WRs not 4WR sets) in the papers during the last mini camp or QB school.

Do you guys really think the coaching staff is going to announce to the world we're not going to use 4 wide anymore, so you guys don't have to get ready for it..Come on..I think they will use it, when it's to their advantage...Konrad and McMicheal don't offer the speed of the 4 wide set..but they will be used a lot in the base set..The 4 wide speads the field and gives Ricky penty of running room on the draw play..I don't think we'll get rid of it completely.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan

This is true - they'v noted in the papers that they like the matchups of McMichael staying in the game with the 3 WR set - he creates matchup problems for LB's and for DB's. But ... Konrad or Ricky will have to come out - there's only room for 5 receivers total. Personally, I like the move. It gives us more flexibility and will keep defenses off balance - while still allowing us the same ability to go downfield.

Last year, they only carried 5 WR's - I don't see how they can carry less than that. Occasionally, they will still go to 4 WR's, especially if McM gets dinged up or injured. So, we'll still need 5 WR's - that's the minimum. A lot of teams will carry 6. But, I'd say will carry at least 5.

A note on competition for the final roster spots - I think the last few cuts are sometimes not between two players at the same position, but two players at different positions - e.g., the 10th DB vs the 5th or 6th WR vs the 4th RB - the guy that looks the best and can also excell on special teams is the guy that will make it. And, if a guy like Trent Gamble does well and shows improvement at his ability to cover a WR in a "Dime" position (he did that some last year), it may make them keep an extra safety over a CB, since he gives them that versatility.

Last year when we used the 4 wr set minor was mostly in the backfield , with rick back there atleast they will respect the run and not only think pass

Originally posted by Chubby
Last year when we used the 4 wr set minor was mostly in the backfield , with rick back there atleast they will respect the run and not only think pass

Now ya thinking...With Ricky staying in on 3rd down and we go to a 4 WR set..this puts a lot of pressure on a D..run or pass..who covers who..play action....hold the LB's and letting recievers get behind them..plus most teams don't have 4 good CB's S to cover this set..and Ricky one on one with a LB is definetly to our advantage....I said Dolphins talk not using the 4..but I bet they use before the 1/2 way point of the season..Hell they use it in the first series of the Pats game in December..

the 3 WR set allow for great flexiblity in the pass protection schemes that 4; unless you want a WR to stay in and block once in a while. You lose the ability to match your 4th WR ag their 4th DB, but for us that should not be a problem unless McM is hurt since he can catch like a big WR.

The real question is when it is a 3rd and 10. That is when you are not running the ball, so why not go 4 wides to get the most speed past the first down marker.

Personally, I generally prefer the three wide set for the Fins as I think McMichael is a more dangerous threat than our 4th WR.

Also, as previously mentioned it can allow for greater protection for the QB if desired.

That being said, I think that the more formations that you can effectively deploy, the more difficult it will be to defend against your team

Miami shouldn't use the 4 WR set because I would rather see McMichael on the field than a fourth WR.

Back
Top Bottom