40 KB sig limit... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

40 KB sig limit...

Fresh

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
That is very small for a sig limit, I mean...I used to be a 56ker, and nothing ever took long to load unless it was over about 500kb's. Even if the image was bigger and took longer, you could still see everything else on the page except for the image. For GIF's, between 100-500 KB's is not bad at all.

Hell, most of the .JPEG images on here are bigger than 40KB.

IMO, Unless the sig takes TOO long to load and/or people complain, I don't see a problem with it. And of course, the height/width limit which is fine & the multiple picture limit.

I always thought the avatar limit here should be much bigger by bytes...but the sigs definitely should be. Oh well, that's just my opinion.

X-Con said:
That is very small for a sig limit, I mean...I used to be a 56ker, and nothing ever took long to load unless it was over about 500kb's. Even if the image was bigger and took longer, you could still see everything else on the page except for the image. For GIF's, between 100-500 KB's is not bad at all.

Hell, most of the .JPEG images on here are bigger than 40KB.

IMO, Unless the sig takes TOO long to load and/or people complain, I don't see a problem with it. And of course, the height/width limit which is fine & the multiple picture limit.

I always thought the avatar limit here should be much bigger by bytes...but the sigs definitely should be. Oh well, that's just my opinion.

40k isn't too small especially when you take into account the amount of users on here and how many of them have sigs. if you despertaely want to use an image that is over the limit you can " File>Save for web" in photoshop or I hear fireworks has a good image compressor (not that I've used that one yet)...I'm sure other people would know of some other ways to compress the files.

One signature at 40KB is a good size... think about if there were ten people on the same page that had a 40KB sig... things add up pretty quickly.

And, as DarkMistress said... keeping a signature under that really isn't difficult...

FinHeavenAJ said:
One signature at 40KB is a good size... think about if there were ten people on the same page that had a 40KB sig... things add up pretty quickly.

And, as DarkMistress said... keeping a signature under that really isn't difficult...

I see what you're saying...but GIF's are

Send me the gif and I'll reduce the size for you.

Aight, somebody with a 56k modem tell me if there's a difference between these 2 images in terms of load time:

295 KB's:
clear.gif

37 KB's:
gatgatgatgatgat29jz1la-1.gif

There really isn't one......

X-Con said:
Aight, somebody with a 56k modem tell me if there's a difference between these 2 images in terms of load time:

295 KB's:
clear.gif

37 KB's:
gatgatgatgatgat29jz1la-1.gif

There really isn't one......

But there would be if 10 people loaded the same size image in the same thread. Not to mention the extra unneeded load it would put on the server if 1,000 members had 295kb sigs. THen eventually someone else would complain that 295 is too small.. these are the points, imo.

FinHeavenAJ said:

Keep up the good work & stick to your guns! :up:

Back
Top Bottom