40 time for Maurice Green (Track & Field) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

40 time for Maurice Green (Track & Field)

40's are a totally different story. 90% of a good 40 is in the start and the 1st ten yards. I've heard that guys like Michael Johnson would run slower 40's than you would expect. A lot of players do have world-class speed, but play football instead of run track.

I heard the 40 time was invited because its about how far a punter can punt a ball. I think it was Paul Brown who did this to find how fast his coverage guys were. I think its a decent measure of a football players speed.

Scrap said:
I think I could run about a 4.2

................. in a 20 yard dash.

Me too...........

in my car.

I say put them in pads and a helmet. Line them up on a field. and THEN time them.

Same with the vertical jump.

If it helps any, I ran a 4.6 40 yards time while training to do track. At that time, I was running about a 10.7 100 metre time.

If Greene runs sub-10 for the 100, he is probably running about 4.1 for a 40 yard.

Superself said:
Ok, I was bored and I may have done this wrong....(Math experts, plz correct me if I'm wrong!) so, since I'm paying very very close attention to the Olympic trials this week...particularly track and field, I did notice that Maurice Green ran in the Finals for the 100m a 9.91.

So I wondered what that would be if I converted it to a 40 yard dash time...for us football folks. :D
So I converted the 100 meters to 109 yards. Then simply multiplied the 40yards times Maurice's time (9.91) to get 396.4. At this point I divided that by 109 (Yards) and walla I got 3.6 seconds.

So Maurice's time of 9.91 converted to a forty time would be about 3.6 seconds.
BTW, Maurice had the fastest FINAL time in the Olympic trials for the 100m event.

the acceleration to top speed should be the same for both a 40 and 100m race so you have to figure that the first few split seconds should add time to his 40. a very little but...

I did the math and took it out to the thousandths place. A 9.91 in the hundred meter translates to a 3.624 in a 40 yard dash. Of course, as others have stated, sprinters are trying to accelerate throughout a race. The acceleration is far greater in the first ten yards, so if you had a sprinter run a hundred meters and you were to time his first 40 yards and someone else his last 40 yards, you would find he runs th last 40 yards much faster than the first 40 yards. I would guess if you timed a world class ssprinter like Green in a 40 yard dash, you would get a time in the vicinity of 4.15.

Back
Top Bottom