49ers leaning toward Rodgers | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

49ers leaning toward Rodgers

SkapePhin

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Article hear, No link for the original article that I can find.

Kapalua, Hawaii -- If Mike Nolan, the 49ers' new coach, had his druthers, he'd probably play poker with the first pick of the NFL Draft. He'd like people to believe the team is not desperate for a quarterback. He'd like them to believe that a trade for multiple draft picks could help the 49ers just as much.

But Nolan is not that good a poker player. Nobody is.

So instead, Nolan said in an interview Wednesday that quarterbacks Aaron Rodgers and Alex Smith were in the small group of up to five players the 49ers are considering, that a quarterback in that group gets extra weight, that leadership and intangibles were the most important factors in choosing one and that a quarterback would give the 49ers an identity, "which is huge," he said.

Reading between the lines, it seemed as if Rodgers, the former Cal star, was the leader in the clubhouse, but Nolan won't get down to serious studying of players with his staff until after he returns home following the NFL's annual meeting, which ended Wednesday.

One source said the 49ers had Michigan receiver Braylon Edwards rated as the "best player" in the draft, but as much as they need a wideout, they need a quarterback more.

"I'd like to think we'll never pick here again and, because of that, if the opportunity is there to get the right guy, I think you have to do it," Nolan said.

The guy who made the post is a 49er fan.

I hope they take a QB with the first pick.It will increase our chances to trade down if someone wants Smith.If neither QB is taken then teams may want to trade up to a lower pick than ours.

We've shown no interest in rodgers, we have shown interest in alex smith. If they were to draft alex smith, our pick becomes very dangerous. we don't want rodgers (and really i don't think any team really does either.) but then if smith is gone, our chances of taking Braylon edwards would become greatly increased. The teams who really want him would then give us a chance to trade down. But i think the niners want rodgers.

If the 49ers do draft Aaron Rodgers I'm all for the Fins drafting Alex Smith or trading down. I want a runningback but I don't want to draft one at #2. In the perfect world we'd get a second round pick for Surtain, draft Alex Smith at #2, and draft a runningback in the second round.

finsfan4life said:
If the 49ers do draft Aaron Rodgers I'm all for the Fins drafting Alex Smith or trading down. I want a runningback but I don't want to draft one at #2. In the perfect world we'd get a second round pick for Surtain, draft Alex Smith at #2, and draft a runningback in the second round.

That sounds like my vision of a perfect world. :up:

Saban4prez said:
We've shown no interest in rodgers, we have shown interest in alex smith. If they were to draft alex smith, our pick becomes very dangerous. we don't want rodgers (and really i don't think any team really does either.) but then if smith is gone, our chances of taking Braylon edwards would become greatly increased. The teams who really want him would then give us a chance to trade down. But i think the niners want rodgers.

Saban has showed just as much interest (or more) in Rodgers than he has with Smith. Rodgers was even interviewed last week and said that he has spoken with Nick Saban more than any other coach in the NFL. Dont be suprised if he takes Rodgers if San Fran takes Smith.

Back
Top Bottom