5 Coaches Whose Teams Must Win To Salvage Their Jobs | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

5 Coaches Whose Teams Must Win To Salvage Their Jobs

PatsWin2002

Bringin' it!
Reaction score
1) Dave Wannstedt, Dolphins  Talk about high expectations! After knocking on the door the last couple of years, Wannstedt now must prove that he can guide the talented Dolphins to postseason glory. And he must do it this year. He seemingly has all the pieces in place  a corps of Pro Bowl-caliber veterans, the leading rusher in the NFL (RB Ricky Williams), a top-notch defense featuring the league’s top pass rusher (DE Jason Taylor), an innovative offensive coordinator (Norv Turner) and solid special teams are among the positives. However, the Dolphins have been woeful late in the season in recent years, dating back to Jimmy Johnson, and Wannstedt must break that spell. The key is establishing a consistent signalcaller (either Jay Fiedler or Brian Griese) who is not turnover-prone.

The whole article:
http://profootballweekly.com/PFW/Commentary/Columns/2003/holbrook062603.htm

pretty solid list with Wanne rightfully at #1 - how many of the other top 5 I wonder are w/o contracts for 2004 ?

I would agree with everyone on that list. I also, think Andy Reid needs to be on there as well. He has done wonders in Philly but those fans are ruthless if the team doesn't win the whole thing and if his talented team fails to reach the SuperBowl again this upcoming year...some grumblings will start to occur.

Wannstedt is definitely #1. If this team doesn't go very far in the playoffs, our best option would be to fire Wannstedt.

I agree, I like Wan even though i joked about him in an earlier thread but business is business. If he cant take them to the next level and beyond he should leave. There is too much talent here to let it go on like this. (revenge is the sweetest joy next to getting p***y. 2pac)

I would also add the Browns head coach to that list. I would add Fisher from the Titans but he juts got a contract extension through 2006.

Why would Butch Davis be on there? He took the team from not being a playoff team to being a playoff team last year. Things are only getting better. I think they should have taken a LB with their first round pick though...They are thin at LB.

from the author

Q. Are the other top 4 coaches mentioned in the same
boat as Wanne in that they are not signed for next year ?

A. here's what i found out- wanny and holmgren's deals are up after this season, jauron's deal has two more years left, haslett and martz each are signed through 2006 season

I wonder why Greg Williams is not in the top 5. The bills didn't extend his contract which is up this year as well.

Dave Wannstedt knows that this season may be his last. That's why he was very active during the offseason. The 2003 Dolphins look great on paper and most likely will deliver this year. If the Dolphins do not go deep into the playoffs, then it's time to say good-bye to our head coach.

My outlook: Dave Wannstedt will remain after the 2003 season! The Suberbowl belongs to us this year.

if shanahan was judged on his last 5 years, and not first two, he'd have been gone before last season. He's another fraud, along with Andy Reid and Mike Holmgren. These guys get by on great coaching, but there personel decisions flat out BLOW!!!!!

I'd let Andy Reid coach my team anyday, but he would never GM it over mwah, let alone someone qualified. These guys first real gigs and there given the keys to the franchise and keep turning down dead end street and ego alley.

Dave Wannstedt's GMing ability is so underrated. So is his coaching, I wil not, and can not, consciencely blame him for what happen last year.

Originally posted by Stamos
if shanahan was judged on his last 5 years, and not first two, he'd have been gone before last season. He's another fraud, along with Andy Reid and Mike Holmgren. These guys get by on great coaching, but there personel decisions flat out BLOW!!!!!

I'd let Andy Reid coach my team anyday, but he would never GM it over mwah, let alone someone qualified. These guys first real gigs and there given the keys to the franchise and keep turning down dead end street and ego alley.

Dave Wannstedt's GMing ability is so underrated. So is his coaching, I wil not, and can not, consciencely blame him for what happen last year.

Bingo, you've hit it right on the head, Wanny 3 years here have been great from a personnel point of view, I can't blame him for the failures on the field, I've stated this a thousands times..he's got good coaches, talented players, but they must perform on the field. He's defintely had them in the right positions, they need to execute. Period. It's back to the heart thing, you can't coach that, that comes from within.

Back
Top Bottom