5 Nfl Rookie Sleepers Who Could Make A Big Impact In 2018 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

5 Nfl Rookie Sleepers Who Could Make A Big Impact In 2018

rent this space

Starter
Club Member
Reaction score
Kalen Ballage | RB | Miami Dolphins

AAxajUV.img
© USA TODAY Glenn Andrews-USA TODAY Sports
The Dolphins' run game was almost non-existent last year. With just last year's starter Kenyan Drake and a 34-year-old Frank Gore ahead of him, fourth-round pick Ballage will be able to hit the field early and often.

Ballage didn't produce huge stats for Arizona State, often splitting carries with other running backs. He finished his collegiate career with 1954 rush yards and 27 touchdowns along with 82 receptions for 684 yards. He has ideal size and speed for an NFL running back at 6'2″ and 228 pounds and a 4.42 40-time.

Ballage's speed and pass-catching skills will likely get him a job as the Dolphin's third-down back. His speed and size could earn him a starting job.

“Just last years starter Kenyan drake”..... that’s pretty dismissive. But what do you expect right? It’ll likely take a 2000 yard season for him to even get recognized as a left starter. I’m excited to have ballage though, I think he can be effective for us out of the slot and with a few carries a game.

“Just last years starter Kenyan drake”..... that’s pretty dismissive. But what do you expect right? It’ll likely take a 2000 yard season for him to even get recognized as a left starter. I’m excited to have ballage though, I think he can be effective for us out of the slot and with a few carries a game.

Am I missing something? How is saying MIami just has Drake and 34 year old Gore being dismissive? Who else did they really have before adding Ballage? I don't think it's saying Drak only started last year and Gore is 34 years old. I think it's they only have Drake and a 34-year old back so there was an obvious need for additional/younger back talent.

Am I missing something? How is saying MIami just has Drake and 34 year old Gore being dismissive? Who else did they really have before adding Ballage? I don't think it's saying Drak only started last year and Gore is 34 years old. I think it's they only have Drake and a 34-year old back so there was an obvious need for additional/younger back talent.

The tone of the article suggests that Drake is just a mediocre player and that Gore is on his last legs, resulting in very little competition for Ballage.

I seem to be on an island with my analysis of Kalen Ballage. But, I see a guy who is not elusive and goes down with first contact from the sides or low. I see the anti-Ajayi. Where Jay Ajayi regularly led the league in broken tackles, Kalen Ballage simply doesn't break tackles. Ajayi had to push through a sea of hands in the backfield or a closed hole at the line to even make positive yardage. Ballage will be stopped for a loss.

In the open field, Ballage has speed to burn, and reminds me of Lamar Miller. But, we need to scheme him into space, which is not easy to do and cannot be done a lot per game. And frankly, I'd still rather have Kenyon Drake or Jakeem Grant running those plays over Kalen Ballage.

So, I see Ballage strictly as a core special teamer (where he's a good tackler and decent blocker and can use his speed), with a role as a 3rd down back because he can pass protect and catch out of the backfield well. Yeah, I know, my analysis is a buzz kill, sorry, but that's how I see it. In the NFL, if you're not very elusive or a tackle-breaker, you're not going to succeed as a primary back.

Well we need and have 3 backs. Hopefully Ballage can run better than what Digital put out there as Drake might not make the entire season and then its up to Gore. Who is the 4th back on the current roster if someone goes down. Perry I assume.

I seem to be on an island with my analysis of Kalen Ballage. But, I see a guy who is not elusive and goes down with first contact from the sides or low. I see the anti-Ajayi. Where Jay Ajayi regularly led the league in broken tackles, Kalen Ballage simply doesn't break tackles. Ajayi had to push through a sea of hands in the backfield or a closed hole at the line to even make positive yardage. Ballage will be stopped for a loss.

In the open field, Ballage has speed to burn, and reminds me of Lamar Miller. But, we need to scheme him into space, which is not easy to do and cannot be done a lot per game. And frankly, I'd still rather have Kenyon Drake or Jakeem Grant running those plays over Kalen Ballage.

So, I see Ballage strictly as a core special teamer (where he's a good tackler and decent blocker and can use his speed), with a role as a 3rd down back because he can pass protect and catch out of the backfield well. Yeah, I know, my analysis is a buzz kill, sorry, but that's how I see it. In the NFL, if you're not very elusive or a tackle-breaker, you're not going to succeed as a primary back.
His highlight reel suggests he doesn’t break tackles. Everything was wide open in space. That said, if he can be more of a playmaker and smarter than Damien Williams he can contribute some meaningful snaps for us.

His highlight reel suggests he doesn’t break tackles. Everything was wide open in space. That said, if he can be more of a playmaker and smarter than Damien Williams he can contribute some meaningful snaps for us.

I'm not sure what you guys have been watching. He doesn't run like marshawn lynch or anything but he certainly doesn't just go down when he's touched. Hrs not going to lead the league or be roty but he's a very capable back.

Ajayi was a tough runner but he was not willing to do what is needed. And a man does what is necessary.

Ballage has a huge ceiling. He said himself at the press conference, where he displayed poise and maturity, that he needed to get better. For all we know Ballage could transform himself into a back that learns how to explode through contact. He’s got the frame. In the meantime he’s got plenty of tools to make opponents pay big time.

Drake, Ballage, grant, Albert Wilson, Stills, Gisecki -all have speed. Miami HAS NOT had speed like this since Clayton and Duper.

Gase has been given the reigns and I said let it RAIN baby because we’ve been in a huge f...ing drought! Gase is building a group of men that are accountable - no immature boys who put themselves ahead of the team.

Knock on Drake was yards after contact and he was near the top for the last third of the year. Hopefully Ballage will follow suit. Think his third down receiving and blocking skills will at worse be on par with D Williams.

What about our own Daniel Thomas as a comp? A faster, better pass catching version

What about our own Daniel Thomas as a comp? A faster, better pass catching version
I hate to doom the kid before he takes a snap! LOL. I can see that comparison though. Both are big fast straight-line runners without much wiggle. If you hit them straight on high, they could bulldoze you, but if you got them low, they'd go down.

On the flip side, Daniel Thomas's problems were health and fumbling, which aren't Ballage's issues really. When Daniel Thomas was able to string together a period of prolonged health and hold onto the ball, he was a decent back. But, as you know, he always either fumbled or got injured as soon as he started stringing together decent games. While the Daniel Thomas comparable is a fair one, I'd say your point about Ballage being a "faster, better catching version" is a major point in Ballage's favor.

Back
Top Bottom